No announcement yet.

Green Juice Question!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darth I read your cabbage juice comment and I had cabbage and a borrowed juicer so I made some this morning. STRANGELY delicious!!!

I made 2 juices:

celery/carrot/apple

cabbage/lime/grapefruit/ginger/celery

I love juice. Carby but soooo good!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

Careful with juicing raw cruiciferous veggies. They supposedly suppress the thyroid unless fermented or cooked.

Comment

Tara- Yeah, cabbage is a tasty one.

I wonder about the "carbosity" of green juices. Sure if you add in fruits it's going to have sugars, but what's the carb content of a bunch of celery?

Comment

9.5 grams of sugar in a 530 gram head of celery.

Comment

Kasey yeah I cook most of my veg for that exact reason (well the brassicas at least) but I figure once in a while is okay! I probably got 2 cups juice out of the whole head. Plus, Ill have to give the juicer back to its owner soon so no more juice for me.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

@Kasey, shit really? and here's me eating loads of rocket and raw broccoli in my salads!

Any resources on this?

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

Comment

Chris, for starters:

http://www.ithyroid.com/goitrogens.htm

Comment

thanks tara, I'll look into this a bit more. I'm especially concerned since my girlfriend, who I will be cooking for a lot when we move back in together, is hypothyroid, as well as type 1 diabetic. I'm trying to learn a bit more on how I can cook for her in healthy ways that won't cause adverse effects. I'll probably go a little slower on the raw broccoli, but that makes me sad. It's so tasty!

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

Comment

Chris you could try fermenting the broccoli. That will negate the negative effects on the thyroid. Not sure if you'll still like the taste. In general, fermented foods are sour and an acquired taste. I love them!

Here's where I first heard about the thyroid stuff

http://www.bodyecology.com/06/11/16/..._nutrition.php

Comment

thanks Kasey.

Not sure I'll like the taste of fermented veg but it's worth trying at some point. For now I'll stick to cooking them, and eating raw veg that doesn't slow my thyroid. I'm sure a little raw rocket once in a while is ok?

My fresh start in London

Comment

Working...
                      X