Can under eating stall fat loss?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can under eating stall fat loss?

Is there any research or evidence/general musings on this?

I wouldn't argue against it. I have lost 48 lbs (274 to 226) in 30ish weeks and I have had some hellacious plateaus the last 6 weeks or so. Sometimes I fast and lose weight, sometimes I eat a lot and lose weight, sometimes I fast and don't lose weight. Sometimes I eat normally and gain weight. I'm not sure WTH is going on. I'm definitely not through losing fat. Have at least 20 or so lbs to go.

Comment

Under eating can cause micro nutrient deficiencies of various kinds. Mark did a write up on some deficiencies recently.
      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

IMO it can if it creates micronutrient deficiencies and/or suppresses energy levels to the extent that daily activity declines significantly. This is most likely to occur for someone who isn't far off a healthy weight - i.e. someone who is moderately overweight or moderately overfat rather than obese.
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by benny687 View Post
          From what I understand, yes it can. It usually happens when people are doing huge amounts of cardio and eating at anorexic levels though. It completely throws hormones out of wack. If you ever see some people on the biggest loser that are very overweight and barely lose any weight when you know they aren't eating shit and exercising like crazy every day, this is what is happening.

Comment

I've seen it in my own life. It was the middle of summer (in the desert) when I started eating Primal. Between drinking a crap ton of water and not having sugar cravings, I just wasn't hungry at all. My weight loss just stopped until I started making myself eat a little bit more. Then it started back up again.
            Durp.

Comment

absolutely! Why Big Caloric Deficits and Lots of Activity Can Hurt Fat Loss | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Comment

Undereating can make you feel pretty crappy and is not sustainable for most people!

Comment

This is the article that I read when I decided to not worry about what I ate while we were out of town visiting relatives over the weekend. I had been trying to increase my calories, and thanks to butter, ghee, and CO, I have been somewhat. So anyways, I ate about 3000 calories Saturday, about 1700 Sunday, and Monday morning showed a weight gain (which I knew I would cuz we had Chinese) but I had planned to do the fasting thing, and now a few days later, I dropped 3 lbs which is even lower than I was before the gain on Monday.

So I mixed up several things, so I can't pin point it to any one particular thing, but it seems to help when I can bump up the calories.
                  65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by benny687 View Post
                    Fat Head Fat Mice And The Laws of Thermodynamics

Comment

So that article would make me think taking a diet holiday is a good thing. And probably why IF is better for losing weight than simple calorie restriction.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Yes, IF, diet holidays, calorie cycling, having at least one rest day a week, and mixing it up all seem to be very important once folk get down to their last 10-20 lbs of fat to lose.

I'm enjoying experimenting with this.

Perhaps a zigzag downwards is the easiest way to do it? i.e. gain a lb of fat, lose 2 lbs of fat, gain a lb of fat, lose a couple of lbs of fat ....? But it'd be difficult to track this when water weight fluctuates so.
                        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I am still a tracker... I know I know.... but since I do, I can see a pattern. I lose steady, then a period of up&down, up&down, and then an even slighter increase, and then a whoosh, it drops. Might not always go that way but so far. So when I see it, I try to mix things up. Maybe if i mixed it up more often, my calories tend to get kind of low, I wouldnt have that to begin with, I dont know.

And I was talking about this just yesterday, that I wonder if my body would just do it on it's own anyways? When it was ready, it would just release it regardless of what I do. I read about someone's whooshing theory, I can't remember who now, and I think it was just a theory, that when you are losing fat out of the cell it will fill with water, (causing a temporary gain) before it releases and then you have a nice little weight loss.

Anyways, I am not anywhere close to my last 10 - 20 pounds but it seems to help when I see I am in a stall. This last time, I starting with IF, then I went WAAAY up in calories over the weekend, and then hit the IF again this week, and within a couple of days, I lost 3 pounds.

Comment

Definitely has happened with me over the years. Before PB when I would switch to "healthy eating" my calories would drop substantially. After a couple weeks I actually would start gaining weight, I suspect from my body holding on to everything. Now I follow hunger cues and seem to lose in a pattern where I lose for 2-3 weeks, maintain for 2-3 weeks, repeat. My next plateau I might try some fasting to see if I can cut it a bit shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                              and within a couple of days, I lost 3 pounds.
                              I tried really hard to resist the scales this morning. But resistance was futile So I need to change my 3lbs this week to 4.1 It is deceiving yes, I know, since part of that was water gain from my Chinese on Saturday evening. Not sure how long it stuck around, but I could only wait to weigh until Monday morning. So why I am so happy is because now this means that 3lbs is extra loss, as I was showing a gain of 1.1 on Monday morning

Comment

Working...
                              X