No announcement yet.

Osteoporosis in pre-contact Eskimos ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osteoporosis in pre-contact Eskimos ???

New (or rather slightly old) post by Don Matesz at http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/.

Its a 3 part series, and contains a lot of convincing argument that too much meat is bad for bones. I thought only balancing protein was enough, but it seems Kitavans are not a fluke but a very low meat diet is actually healthier than a low carb diet.

Eskimo bones tested in the research papers date to around 1500AD and even one from 400AD. All had osteoporosis. The bone density was lesser than an aged matched Caucasian. Guys and Gals on Zero carb or VLC you might want to get your bone density measured, to be on the safe side.

The article is very interesting, and is ground breaking just like the Primal Potato series. I guess he is almost as good as Stephan. Even Stephan follows his blog very closely.

Isn't it possible that the Inuit have weaker bones because of a vitamin D deficiency?

Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

Masai?

Comment

Quite possible. But Inuits do eat a lot of fish, which should provide them enough Vitamin D. Its not like they have a white skin like caucasians. I would be surprised if their Vitamin D level is too low.

Excess Omega3 might be another problem. We don't know too much about it.

They live in a very extreme climate and eat a very extreme diet. Anything could cause the damage. The article does dispute the theory that they are healthy. It shows that they are not very healthy, and their diet may not be ideal. In fact it shows that they age faster than people on SAD ;-).

Comment

[quote]

Its not like they have a white skin like caucasians.</blockquote>

But given where they live, I don&#39;t reckon they expose their skin to the sun a lot, do they?

Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
          Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
          No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
          Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

Wow. Thanks for the link. Just read through all three posts and looking forward to the fourth. He definitely compiles some very convincing research and makes some very intelligent analysis about the link between diets consisting of highly acidic foods and osteoporosis.

I wonder if any non-meating eating groups have been studied?

Comment

And let&#39;s not forget, that&#39;s the (apparent) result of a LIFETIME of a diet that is pretty much on the fringe of human experience.

If carbs are the salvation, most PB&#39;ers are getting some. OTOH, it could be some other deficiency.

Comment

Not really saying carbs are the salvation. He&#39;s saying high-acidic diets could be the cause. He simply recommends "a diet with a net alkaline residues."

Here&#39;s a good chart of foods from alkaline to acidic:

http://www.trans4mind.com/nutrition/pH.html (scroll down a bit)

Comment

@OTB

Its not like carbs are the salvation, but yes more vegetables and particularly greens are required.

I am not sure that high carbs are great for people with a compromised metabolic system.

I am tending towards a life of a lot of fermented foods. No clean environments for me ;-).

Comment

@Allbeef

Masai eat plenty of plant matter, though it does not add much to the caloric intake, being mostly from leafy matter.

Comment

@Mirrorball

It is expected that the pasty white skin is due to utter lack of vitamin D.

The inuits on the other hand never had as much deficiency. They get decent amounts from the fish all year round.

The caucasians on the other hand eat a lot of wheat which induces Vitamin D deficiency. In addition most are not eating enough fish.

Comment

Yeah, Anand, I guess they take in sufficient leafy greens, but so do I. I just feel like most of the problems that I have are more easily explained by a SAD, and I&#39;m not willing to believe that I should shift the balance of my eating back to the way it was. And the alkaline diet stuff usually comes from the direction of vegetarians. Pale, weak vegetarians.

Comment

Actually vegetarians, need not be week.

Bronze medal for wrestling for the last olympics went to a vegetarian. The trick is to get enough animal fats, ie milk, ghee, etc.

It is only vegans or non-traditional vegetarians who are week. Some get their muscles the wrong way eating too much soya, which is not healthy.

I don&#39;t know enough about the alkaline diet stuff. But I do respect Don enough to believe that there might be something about it. I am a mostly vegetarian myself so this does not really matter to me. I would always have a net alkaline diet.

Comment

Maybe the Argentinians with their high beef diet know what they are doing with their chimichurri sauce. That&#39;s parsley (highest alkaline), garlic (also highest alkaline), orgeno, olive oil and vinegar, salt and pepper.

From Wiki page on Argentine beef:

"Beef is traditionally cooked over charcoal flame (as an asado) and served often as part of a wider selection of grilled meat, with chimichurri as a relish."

Let&#39;s keep this in perspective, its a big steak with a little bowl of sauce. Not a plate sized salad with a few strips of meat.

I have been poking around on Google about Native American diets (a *lot* of meat and fat) but found this about beverages.

Many tribes preferred broth and herbed beverages to water. The Chippewa boiled water and added leaves or twigs before drinking it. Sassafras was a favorite ingredient in teas and medicinal drinks. Broth was flavored and thickened with corn silk and dried pumpkin blossoms. Native Americans in California added lemonade berries to water to make a pleasantly sour drink.

So maybe the traditional peoples knew what to have alongside the meat for maximum health.

Personally, when eating the chimichurri with the meat, it does seem to feel a bit more balanced. Can&#39;t describe it any other way. But I&#39;m still talking about 85-95%+ carnivore, mostly meat and fat without the other stuff like dairy, fruit, etc.

Comment

Well no shit, acidity contributes to bone loss. It isn&#39;t the meat&#39;s fault, without acidic food, one becomes over-alkaline which has it&#39;s own problems. The Eskimos ate very little of anything other than meat. I eat vegetables, I&#39;m fine.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Working...
                              X