Low carb Pizza (MEATZA) sauce

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low carb Pizza (MEATZA) sauce

Well my 4th meatza was the best one yet (Pepperoni, Green pepper, Mushrooms, Ham & cheese). Although, all of my meatzas have come out like a flat burger, with cooked veggies on top. Mine never look like the pictures people post.

I think it's because I dont have a base of sauce on top of the meat. Im not a saucy person (hurhur), The only sauce I ever eat is tomato (or used to), so I dont really know the deal with sauces. What's a good low-carb friendly sauce base for my beloved meatza?

mmm

How about a garlic mayonnaise type sauce? What recipe have you used? I may have to give one of these a go sometime!

Comment

Dang, i gotta try a MeatZa...

Comment

Pesto- it's all oil and spice!

I like basil pesto with prosciutto.

A carbonara style sauce would be really good too.

I've you're not in to cheese/dairy, you can make a pretty damned good carbonara using chicken stock, lots of eggs and fat (bacon grease, olive oil, pancetta grease, butter...)

Personally my meatzas are really flat too, but still so tasty.

Comment

You ARE missing out

Comment

Tomato being a nightshade, I was looking at various "nomato sauce" recipes. Most of them are still pretty high-carb, using things like beets or carrots as a base, but it probably wouldn't be too bad if you spread the sauce thin. Roasted red peppers would help keep the color more authentic.

Comment

I did one the other day with thin slices of steak with thin spread of tomato sauce and melted cheese and basil -- rocked. must be eaten with a knife and fork.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

I take it a meatza is a flat piece of meat with standard pizza toppings?

Comment

I'll get around to trying this one day, but I'll probably go for the egg based crusts first... or maybe not... the 'faux' foods are cool, I'm glad they're there, but I kind of am prefering to eat things the way they are right now... still a bacon based meatza crust for stability might be good, I like to eat my pizza with my hands.

and for the tomato adverse, there's always "white pizza' which is basically just garlic butter under the cheese, clam sauce being another alternative.

Comment

White pizza was my favorite kind when I ate grains. Creamy buttery cheesy goodness is far superior to a layer of tomato sauce. Pesto is tasty, too.

Comment

Just an addendum to Andrea's suggestion: pesto contains cheese (usually parmesan and fontina), so if you're off dairy it may not be a wise choice. But it is delicious!

Comment

Man, I just have to say that Meatza last night was AWESOME!!! It compares to a steak, in my opinion. Mine came out PERFECT! Talk about a filling meal.. Must of eaten a quarter of that thing! I followed this recipe exactly: http://www.justinowings.com/b/index..../meatza-meatza . . Except cooked the meat a little longer initially. Make sure it's fairly flat to ensure even cooking, mine was a little undercooked on the top..Oops!

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Also made Meatza last night. Used ground chicken mixed with an egg as the crust. Very stable. Plus the white meat looks and feels exactly like regular pizza crust.

Not sure how you define low carb, but we just used straight crushed tomatoes. Only 12 grams of carbs. And since it spreads thin, we didn't use much at all.

Comment

Just bought a big thing of ground beef. Meatza will occur within a few days.

Comment

Pesto only has cheese in it if you put it there.

I use pine nuts to make it a little creamier, but I don't think you need much more than basil, oil and garlic.

Personally, I've never made a beef meatza. I'm with Steve-O; I'm a big fan of chicken thighs, they seem to have the right amount of fat. And if you make the crust just over 1/8" thick, you can pick it up and eat it like regular pizza.

Comment

Working...
                              X