omega three eggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• omega three eggs

ok, just found out my cage free eggs come from hens fed soy and grains and flax for omega three. i'm pretty sure i know the answer to this, but, figured i'd bounce it off of y'all. should i find a new egg? thanks!

I use to buy egglands best O3 eggs till I found a local source. I'd say just eat em while you look for something better.

Comment

I got the same problem. I bought 3 dozen eggs of this brand Phil's Fresh Eggs, which have 660 mg of Omega-3. But after buying them I noticed the chickens are fed whole grain and soy. Probably not the best, right?

Comment

yeah, probs not. i LOVE the free range at whole foods. the next best thing to the eggs i got fresh of the pasture in VA. vital farms is the brand. but, the price has been steady rising. they are now $6.69 a dozen. totally freaking worth it though. but, i would like something cheaper. i payed $2.50 tops in VA for a dozen.

Comment

Yeah, I just pay 2.00/dozen for some farm fresh stuff. I'm sure they supplement with grain, but I also know they have a good deal of space to be outside, scratch, eat bugs and all the other goodies too.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
            Yeah, I just pay 2.00/dozen for some farm fresh stuff. I'm sure they supplement with grain, but I also know they have a good deal of space to be outside, scratch, eat bugs and all the other goodies too.
            That's a sweet deal. I need to find something like that. I can get eggs simply labeled "local" at wholefoods, I'll try to find out where they come from next time I go, it's a little bit over that. They also have smaller packs of eggs, like 4 eggs, for about a dollar a damn egg.
            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by softthings View Post
              yeah, probs not. i LOVE the free range at whole foods. the next best thing to the eggs i got fresh of the pasture in VA. vital farms is the brand. but, the price has been steady rising. they are now $6.69 a dozen. totally freaking worth it though. but, i would like something cheaper. i payed $2.50 tops in VA for a dozen.
              Yes! I'm glad to hear that you also buy Vital Farms. That is the brand I normally buy, but in the Minneapolis area they are $7.99/dozen at Whole Foods! Since I buy about 3 doz at a time, I was trying to save money, but no egg has tastes as good as Vital Farms. I'm gonna have to go back to them.

Comment

ok, well, if they cost more there i guess i should quit my bitching. it's just that i am going back to school in the fall and wanted to start getting used to pinching pennies. they are amazing though.

Comment

what does it matter if the chicken eats grains?

Comment

For much the same reason the Primal community admonishes grain fed cattle.
                    http://stackingplates.com/

Comment

Eggs from grass-fed/pasteurized chickens are best.

Soy imparts its high level of phytoestrogens on the animal which is passed on the consumer. Also, soy is almost ALL omega-6 fats NOT omega-3 which will also get passed on the animal and the eggs it eats.
                      "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Originally posted by Dailytribal View Post
                        what does it matter if the chicken eats grains?
                        If you don't eat grains then would you eat an animal that does?

Also, grain-fed animals tend to have MUCH higher levels of omega-6 fats because grains tend to be rather high in them.
                        "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

It's extremely rare to find laying hens not supplemented with SOME grain. A farm would have to have a huge, never-ending supply of grubs or something to get away with not giving any grain - chickens need a substantial calorie surplus to keep up that egg-a-day habit. Think about it - an average laying chicken weighs less than 5 lbs. An egg weighs 2-3 oz, which is close to 4-5% of its body weight. Chunking out 4-5% of your body weight every day requires the kind of consistent, high-energy food source that grain feed is kind of designed for. Plus, chickens have a gizzard and frequently swallow small pebbles, grit and bits of shells - the gizzard is built for processing seeds, so chickens are not as ill-adapted to grain-based food sources as humans are.

Of course, the soy isn't great - but if you don't react to it, I wouldn't stress it if you find otherwise good-quality eggs with the bright orange yolks that denote a lot of pasture time, grass and bugs.

Comment

I have been buying Egglands best and thought I was doing the right thing until reading Mark's book and this forum..will start buying at farmers mkt.

Comment

yeah, i worry mostly about the soy being pcos and the grain too since i am a type 1 diabetic, also now with added thyroid issues. yay.

Comment

Working...
                              X