Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recovering from a binge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Recovering from a binge

    So I went off on a VERY non primal binge over the course of the last 7 days due to numerous physical (caught a cold and had a night with almost no sleep) and mental (stressful situations) reasons. It started on April 27th with binge eating fruit (berries, bananas, raisins), it progressed to Haagen-Dazs all natural vanilla bean ice cream and 90% dark chocolate on April 28th. It culminated with plenty of regular ice cream, cookies, candy, cake, & pastries from April 29th to May 1st.

    What has shocked me is how much of a physical impact this binge has had on me. In the past, when eating a standard American diet, a 1-6 week binge never had this kind of effect on me. I am very bloated, and suffering with stomach pains, nausea, headache, extremely tired, having trouble focusing, depressed, painful acne, and have broken out in hives (Iíve had the hive issue for several years, but rarely have had any issues with it since going strict primal. I suspect it may be an autoimmune condition.).

    I am determined to get back on track with strict primal starting today!

    I realize that eating all that processed sugar, grains and industrial seed oils can take a while to clear out of my system (I read that it can take months for the inflammation cause by some of this stuff to subside).

    My question is for anyone who has gone off the wagon. What do you do to get back to feeling good as quickly as possible and to mitigate the damage? Today, I am drinking lots of water. But should I take extra supplements/probiotics?

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

  • #2
    If you find yourself craving the sweets due to your binge just eat fruit. That is my go to sweet food and keeps me away from candy, pastry, etc. I would not stress about it as long as you can mentally get back on track. Personally, I found drinking a lot of fresh vegetable juice is excellent for renewing yourself in general mind and body..especially after a binge or drinking night. I make it daily.

    Comment


    • #3
      I just go back to eating primally and I'm back on track in a couple of days. Usually after straying I'm so sick of crap food my body welcomes the clean eating.
      Sandra
      *My obligatory intro

      There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

      DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

      Comment


      • #4
        I haven't gone on that kind of binge in years so I couldn't really say. Pick up some B vitamins & alpha lipoic acid to help stabilize your blood sugar. Primalize your house and set some limits- no more Haagen Daz or cookies at home, for example.

        Comment


        • #5
          Eating primally and drinking kombucha helps me feel better. Also, getting plenty of rest, I like to take naps

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by statikcat View Post
            If you find yourself craving the sweets due to your binge just eat fruit. That is my go to sweet food and keeps me away from candy, pastry, etc. I would not stress about it as long as you can mentally get back on track. Personally, I found drinking a lot of fresh vegetable juice is excellent for renewing yourself in general mind and body..especially after a binge or drinking night. I make it daily.
            Thank you statikcat. Unfortunately, I have a real problem with sweets and in some cases eating a lot of fruit leads me to eating other sweets. In this case I started with way too much fruit, went on to raisins and then onto to other sweet junk.
            "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
              I haven't gone on that kind of binge in years so I couldn't really say. Pick up some B vitamins & alpha lipoic acid to help stabilize your blood sugar. Primalize your house and set some limits- no more Haagen Daz or cookies at home, for example.
              Thank you fiercehunter. I hope I will reach a point when I can say I haven't gone on a binge for years. Thank you for your suggestions. My wife has some vitamin B at home. I will check out alpha lipoic. I try to primalize my house, but my wife is only "semi-primal" at this point...and my daughter is far from primal (my wife supports this) so there is always some non primal junk in the house.
              "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
                I just go back to eating primally and I'm back on track in a couple of days. Usually after straying I'm so sick of crap food my body welcomes the clean eating.
                Thank you Sandra. My plan is to get back on track. It is kind of a blessing to feel this bad. It gives me great motivation to get back to strick primal.
                "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by primalmontana View Post
                  Eating primally and drinking kombucha helps me feel better. Also, getting plenty of rest, I like to take naps
                  Thank you Primalmontana. I've never heard of kombucha before. I just googled it. Where can I get it? Rest is key for me. I've always had sleep issues in the past and insomnia leads to sugar cravings for me.
                  "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JVib View Post
                    Thank you statikcat. Unfortunately, I have a real problem with sweets and in some cases eating a lot of fruit leads me to eating other sweets. In this case I started with way too much fruit, went on to raisins and then onto to other sweet junk.
                    Definitely make a plan to reduce fruit except in the summer. Use just berries till it gets hot out and not every day. Start making a big a$$ salad every day- go pick up some umeboshi plum vinegar & apple cider vinegar to use as dressing. It sounds like you are addicted to sweet tastes & need to retrain your taste buds.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                      Definitely make a plan to reduce fruit except in the summer. Use just berries till it gets hot out and not every day. Start making a big a$$ salad every day- go pick up some umeboshi plum vinegar & apple cider vinegar to use as dressing. It sounds like you are addicted to sweet tastes & need to retrain your taste buds.
                      I typically only eat fruit once per week, and usually it consists of berries. I am definitely addicted to sweet tastes. Will apple cider vinegar help?
                      "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        WTF don't just binge on fruit. Especially if you started with eating lots of fruit, which set off the rest of your binge.

                        Eat something really nutrient-dense and satiating, like meat, if you really have to binge. Keep like a dozen eggs already boiled in the fridge if you know it's going to happen again. Fruit doesn't have much nutrition going for it, especially if that's solely what you're bingeing on, which skyrockets your propensity to eat more.

                        I also second the resting and being more free of stress.
                        My chocolatey Primal journey

                        Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Shit happens. Best advice for how to cope:

                          1)Don't stress it too much. Torturing yourself psychologically makes everything needlessly worse. Just move on. Nobody's perfect, and no one has to be.

                          2)It may make you feel better to cut carbs down very low for the first 12-48hrs post-binge. Your body will then just burn all the carbs from the binge and then you'll be through the sugar shock faster. Eat zerocarb protein and fat if and when you get hungry. Don't fuck around with combination foods like nuts or dairy or so on. Meat, fish, etc.

                          3)You could also just IF completely. Drink water, drink coffee and tea, let your body sort itself out. When you get hungry, break fast as suggested above. This will shed the water retention, as the jump in carbs will mean that you'll be carrying a WHACK more water all the sudden. Getting it out of your system should make you feel less stuffed and therefore more comfortable.

                          4)Don't go near a scale. It will give you nonsense data anyway, given the water weight issues.

                          5)If it really bothers you that the binge happened, maybe sit down and think carefully about WHY it happened. Why did you fall off the wagon exactly? I see that you've got some good starting awareness of why, and that's awesome. But look closer. And plan for alternative actions given the same situations. Like- next time you don't sleep and are sick, what could you do instead? Next time you're hit with stressful situations like that, what could you do? After all, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

                          It also doesn't help that culturally, we're encouraged to eat sugar to cope with everything, celebrate everything, etc. Get sick, eat carbs. Don't get sleep, eat carbs. Happy gathering!- eat carbs. Sad life event- eat carbs. This would be part of the 'don't stress it' thing. But given that you don't want to just EAT CARBS like the rest of the world, you've got to make alternative plans. Because when you're stressed out, you aren't going to be able to think as clearly or plan as creatively. If you've got a plan right there and ready to go, it's so much easier to prevent this stuff.

                          This is the voice of sad-ass experience who has been right where you are now due to being stuck in airport food deserts, carb-soaked dinner parties, family pressure to EAT THE SAME STUFF AS US YOU FREAK lol, insomnia, illness, etc etc ETC.

                          Plans.

                          And coffee.

                          And also the body basically will have forgotten it ever happened in 3 days anyway. Possibly sooner. So just get back on the horse and grok on.
                          Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

                          "C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
                          "Cookie is a sometimes food."
                          "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
                          -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

                          "

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X