Chocoloate - work your way up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chocoloate - work your way up?

I have always been a milk chocolate girl. But I know that dark is better for me. DH accidentally bought semi-sweet chocolate chips a few months ago (prePB) and I was actually fine with them though. Last week I bought an 85% chocolate bar, but find it's a touch too bitter for me. Is this the sort of thing that I should work my way up to? Is it okay to drop down to a lower percent and then try the higher percent in a few more months? This may be trivial, as I eat 1-2 squares a week. Anyone else have success transitioning from milk chocolate to a high percent dark?

I used to love milk chocolate too- now I can't stand it! Much too sweet. I think working your way up is a good idea, especially since you only eat a small amt. Each week. Maybe also try the bars that have nuts in them, or I like the one with sea salt...soooo good!

Comment

Some dark chocolate is more bitter than others. Try what Mark recommends, Green & Blacks organic 85% from WalGreens.
      It's nice (and I didn't like dark chocolate either --until now).

Comment

Semisweet chips are around 60%. You can definitely work your way up by trying 70% and every several weeks up it another 5-10%.

Some of my favorite brands of chocolate are Valrhona, Galler, and to some extent, Green & Black's and Lindt.
        Last edited by sakura_girl; 05-02-2012, 06:57 AM.
        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

you'll have to see what works for you. yes, work your way up. if you're a milk chocolate sort of girl, i'd go for the 50% range for now while your taste buds are acclimating to a lower-sugar diet. when that begins to taste too sweet, go a little higher. i have never liked green and blacks above 60%, just think it's too bitter. Chocolove makes a delightful 77%, smooth and rich. my favorite 85% is Divine.
          my primal journal:
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
            Chocolove makes a delightful 77%, smooth and rich. my favorite 85% is Divine.
            Interesting you say that. I dislike both those brands, especially the latter, but you don't like the darker chocolates and like these bars? Very interesting xD

Comment

different strokes.
              my primal journal:

Comment

I loves me some milk chocolate, especially in cup form with peanut-butter-like substance inside.
                You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

lol. there are several brands of organic nut butter cups, if that's your thing. suncups, justin's almond butter, and sunspire are three brands that come immediately to mind. some are milk chocolate, others are "dark."
                  my primal journal:

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                    I loves me some milk chocolate, especially in cup form with peanut-butter-like substance inside.
                    All I can taste is the partially hydrogenated oil when I eat those now.

Edit: wait, I was thinking of reese's pieces XD

Comment

Thanks everyone. I suppose I should try some different brands. Just got Lindt because it was the cheapest where we were. When I am out I'll try a different brand and maybe 70/75%. My taste buds are definitely changing as I can only eat 1-2 apple slices before they are sickeningly sweet.

Comment

Also, there are many dark bars that don't have a number on the front of the packaging. Many of the things like the Lindt (and other "premium" brands w/ flavors or nuts... if you look closely on the back of the bar you can see that lots of those are in the range of 50-55% cocoa solids. Decidedly NOT very dark. But great for a beginner.

It should have this number on any good chocolate brand it will be a few lines down the label under the "ingredients" list. For instance My Lindt 85% label reads (to the right of the nutrition label):

Ingredients: Chocolate, cocoa powder, cocoa butter, demerara sugar, bourbon vanilla beans.

May contain traces of peanuts/tree nuts/milk/ soybean.

Dark Chocolate contains:
                        Cocoa solids 85% Min. <------- This is the number you are looking for if the front of the label is not marked with a specific percentage.

IMO the higher you go in cocoa solids, and bars made with cocoa butter the more important it is to eat it slow. Coco butter simply doesn't melt as fast on the tongue and needs a but more time... if you just chew like with milk chocolate it can feel weird and hard at first.

Lindt and a couple of other companies make some bars at about 50-60% that have chili in them... TRY it. That bit of heat really ramps up the chocolate flavor IMO. I have to make mine myself though as I prefer the higher percentages... 85 and up only.
                        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I've never understood how anyone can think any level of chocolate is bitter except for 99%. It's all delicious, melt in your mouth goodness.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Look for chocolate that has the %s labelled and slowly move up from 50% to 70-80%. Wash the higher % chocolate down with some wine.

Comment

My favorite is Dagoba. Their (eclipse 87%) is pretty bitter, I love it. I bet you would like their New Moon (74%). It's got enough sweetness and a very nice flavor. For a different taste their xocolatl bar is cool. It's got some chili in it.

The bars
                              "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X