Pork rinds, yay or nay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork rinds, yay or nay?

I have recently got into the habit of eating pork rinds as a snack because I really wanted an alternative to SAD favorites, like potato chips, cookies, etc. I also find fruit and nuts to be extremely unsatisfying snacks. I want something that is fatty, salty, crispy and delicious, and pork rind seem to fit this bill.

Now the ingredients for plain pork rinds (at the least the ones at my local supermarket) are simply "fried pork skin and salt." So I assume they are not being fried in anything objectionable. The salt content, is of course quite high, but my overall salt intake has been reduced since going Primal.

So yea, what does everyone else think of these tasty snacks? A good alternative to SAD favorites, or something I should be eating in moderation?
    Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
    Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
    Goal: 160

I enjoy them, usually with spicy brown mustard or hot sauce

Comment

Freakin yay! I love em. I get the ones that are cooked/rendered in their own lard (only other ingredient is salt, no msg or other preservatives/nasties). Or, you could make your own (plenty of how to videos/info on the net). If my mom goes to the Mexican market (she speaks Spanish fluently and gets the wink wink nod nod deal, lol!!) she gets me the real deal (it's the entire pig skin, from head/neck to tail (tail is on it too, it's good!) in a big ass clear plastic bag, it's the best and fresh). I just break it up and put it into several zip lock bag and I'm good to go.
      Last edited by sn75; 05-01-2012, 07:08 PM.
      Approaching 50lb weight loss mark, woohoo! Not bad for 3 months

Comment

I like them as a snack, much better than reaching for tortilla chips and salsa (which I LOVE!)

Comment

I always have them on hand, and eat them once or twice a week. My favorite is Goya Pork Cracklin', which is described as fried out pork fat with attached skin, and contains only pork fat with attached skin and salt. A handful is a very satisfying snack.
          Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

Pork rinds, the edible guacamole spoon.

Comment

God damn it, I love pork rinds!!! When I used to drink beer, an ice cold one with some rinds.... aaaahhhhhh. It's the simple things in life.
              "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I like pork rinds too. I need to look into making my own!
                Danni

Comment

yum!
                  Could you get pork skin and make your own?
                  I love making them, and have finally perfected the way its done, so I get crunchy ones.

Comment

Pork Rinds = Crunchy Bacon = Love

Comment

Originally posted by springnr View Post
                      Pork rinds, the edible guacamole spoon.
                      Good to scoop anything! Chicken salads, etc.
                      great with soups too!

I ate a 3.5 oz. bag one morning as a "snack" and wasn't hungry all day!

Comment

I saw these raved about on a weight lifting forum the other day.

Microwave Pork Rinds | Welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                          yum!
                          Could you get pork skin and make your own?
                          I love making them, and have finally perfected the way its done, so I get crunchy ones.
                          You can't say things like that and then not share.

Right?

Please?
                          Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

But what are they fried in? That bothers me a bit. I tried some the other day, and the package didn't say.

It was weird, though, to be eating something meaty/fatty with the texture of a cheese puff.

Comment

Originally posted by MudLily View Post
                              But what are they fried in? That bothers me a bit. I tried some the other day, and the package didn't say.

It was weird, though, to be eating something meaty/fatty with the texture of a cheese puff.
                              That's the same thing I was thinking. I guess its fried in its own fat.
                              Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
                              Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
                              Goal: 160

Comment

Working...
                              X