No announcement yet.

To Eat Bacon Or Not To Eat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eat it and just start buying the nitrate free going forward.

Comment

Hi Lovestoclimb,

Not little. I get fresh ones that are about 3 pounds and slow roast for hours. It is the stuff that bacon is made out of before it is salted, sugared, cured and/or smoked. Slow roasted pork belly is delicious. Added bonus is all the lard that naturally renders.

Comment

I'm scared to go aloneeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'm a poor, fragile anglophone in a giant Francophone farmer's market!

:]

"The penis is the male animal-flower, a soft-firm dildo, a warm dream."
        -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

I hate reading PB posts on an empty stomach >:[ damn you people with your descriptions!!!

-Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

ps

http://www.foodielifestyle.com/2009/09/07/jamie-olivers-pork-belly-recipe/

I was pretty much doing this without the stock or veggies. Score skin if it has any, I will try next roast with just pepper or little or no salt. Start with higher temp for a bit then turn down to low heat, baste once in a while. It works better when you can put the belly on a rack that fits in a roasting pan so that both sides can cook. Roughly midway through turn it over. The last one I cooked for a few hours but forget exactly how long. That would depend on the oven temp and size of the belly.

Comment

I MEAN YOU TIGERJ! >:O

-Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

Mmmmm bacon. I cooked up some scallops wrapped in bacon last night, it was like heaven. Everything is better with bacon, I think. Maybe tomorrow I'll make a bacon smoothie with a side of bacon for breakfast. And it's gotta be floppy and hot, not crunchy and cremated.

Where do you find nitrate free bacon? I can't find it.

Comment

NY2001, your supermarket doesn't carry it? I had to stare at the selection for quite awhile, but I finally found some hidden among the rest. Niman Ranch I believe it's called (I go to Publix Markets.) You can go to any Whole Foods too, they usually have bacon at their meat section. They have an AWESOME meat selection... If you've never tried a bison burger, (laced in bacon!) then you REALLY ought to get your butt over there. The meat over there is much more fresh. Plus, last time I picked up bacon there it was only 5 bucks a pound. Not bad at all!

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Jess - We don't have a Whole Foods or Publix around here but there is a Trader Joe's. The last time I looked in there all the bacon had nitrates, maybe I missed it. I'll check again.

I have been buying the Great Range Bison Steaks, they are great. I will have to try them with bacon.

Comment

Trader Joes does carry Niman Ranch nitrate free bacon--I think they even have a TJs brand nitrate free bacon!

Comment

ny2001miata, Trader Joes (at least the one here) carries a couple different nitrate free brands, They are super cheap too. 2.99 a pack compared to Whole Paycheck's 5.99 a pack nitrate free variety.

Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

Whenever we get nitrate-free bacon from out of town it costs about $10 a pack.

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

I'm trying to make it a habit of going there, so if ever you want to go let me know we can go hunt down some glorious meat

Comment

I order all our meats from Burgundy Pasture Beef. Their natural, nitrate/nitrite free bacon is about $5 a pound and they ship. Great stuff.

Comment

@Prowler Surely you're kidding about nitrates/nitrites and the evidence against them not being compelling.

http://www.nitrate.com/nitrate1.htm

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/nitrat...c_effects.html

Comment

Working...
                                X