How to get enough iron?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
    The Ferrous Sulfate pills have another lovely, and very common, side effect... nausea.
    I am feeling slightly queasy in my throat yet ravenously hungry (no vomiting, though). Did you feel something similar?

Should I go try to look for heme iron/ferronyl/carbonyl at this point, or wait and see if I'll adapt? Three months of ravenous hunger + no poo could be a dangerous combination.

Comment

For me... the nausea included vomiting and whatever stayed down needed another pill (laxative) to help it exit. Miserable.
      YMMV of course.
      A lot of people don't do well with the pills though from my understanding, but some tolerate them OK.
      I didn't stick with pills for long. I threw myself at high heme food sources and have been happy since and had normal iron tests.
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
        For me... the nausea included vomiting and whatever stayed down needed another pill (laxative) to help it exit. Miserable.
        YMMV of course.
        A lot of people don't do well with the pills though from my understanding, but some tolerate them OK.
        I didn't stick with pills for long. I threw myself at high heme food sources and have been happy since and had normal iron tests.
        Thanks! I'm glad it worked out for you in the end, especially with no more nausea. I'll give the pills a couple of weeks and then make a decision.

Thanks for your advice and tips, everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by gumboots View Post
          I am feeling slightly queasy in my throat yet ravenously hungry (no vomiting, though). Did you feel something similar?

Should I go try to look for heme iron/ferronyl/carbonyl at this point, or wait and see if I'll adapt? Three months of ravenous hunger + no poo could be a dangerous combination.
          I don't know your lab values, or what your malabsorption issues are, but I recommend the more absorbable and less digestively distressing supplements. I've taken Ferrous Sulfate before and it was no fun having to take laxatives on top of that nasty tasting pill.

Personally, I simply cannot keep my iron levels normal on food alone. I had a gastric bypass 7 years ago, and while I can eat fairly normal portions now, I just can't seem to get the iron I need. I did okay with daily ferronyl/carbonyl iron for 3 years, but then I became anemic during pregnancy 4 years ago and have yet to really get back to maintaining good iron levels since then. I do a 3 month run on Proferrin (heme), get good labs, and then maintain on Bifera for a while, but eventually the symptoms come back and I'm low again.

Comment

Another way to get more iron in your diet is to cook in cast iron cookware. I'll also second the notion that supplemental iron pills from the doc are no good.

Comment

I think I'll go back to the pharmacist tomorrow and see if she can give me this less awful kind!

Comment

I echo the comments about iron supplements. I took an iron supplement a few months back and it gave me serious diarrhea. Which I'll admit is preferable to vomiting... however, I still prefer to avoid that, thanks.
                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by gumboots View Post
                  How is it possible for an adult *woman* to eat enough iron through food? Any tricks or tips?
                  Cook and eat out of a cast iron skillet.

Comment

I'm hoping this will be a one-time thing -- get the levels up and then keep them there with a happy healed gut and plenty of hearts and livers! A month of trying to eat iron didn't raise my levels at all, so I'm hoping that I can do better on my own once I've gotten it straightened out. (That is, if the supplements work, and without too many side-effects!)

Comment

Also, in a few months I'll be moving back to California where my beloved cast iron pan is waiting. Maybe the whole deficiency was caused by living without it for a year. Certainly felt like something was missing from my life!

Comment

even when I was vegetarian I never had any problems absorbing enough iron (doctors always seemed happy enough). I tried to eat green leafy veg every day, plus a good general mix of veg. I didn't drink any tea or coffee. Doesn't help if there's a medical reason that you're not absorbing the iron, but it's worth looking at whether you're having anything that might block it. I remember something about dairy interfering with the absorption of some nutrients and iron might be one of them. I don't know if you do dairy though.

Comment

How does dairy interfere with absorption of some nutrients?
                          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Yes, my intestines are a bit messed up, still trying to figure out why -- definitely fructose malabsorption, although that doesn't itself cause intestinal damage (although it can sometimes start as the result of it). I have trouble with most grains because of the fructans, but only when I gave them up 100% (rather than eating "just a little") did I start feeling much better overall (sleep, energy, mood, back pain, headaches, digestion). I'll see the gastro tomorrow about doing the run of tests for gluten and celiac, because it would be good to know how hardcore I'll need to be to heal.

Comment

Working...
                            X