Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half & Half or Heavy Cream???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Half & Half or Heavy Cream???

    Which one is okay for Primal? If they are both okay which one is preferred?

    Steve

  • #2
    Either is fine. If you're trying to limit carbs, heavy cream is slightly better, but it is also much higher in total calories. IF you're just using a TBSP or 2 two for your coffee, the difference is negligible. Optimally, you want to get non-homogneized, (some say raw) dairy.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have been able to find grass fed, non-homogenized heavy cream at whole foods (for a soul crushing $5 for a tiny... tiny bottle that lasts me maybe 6 beverages... MAYBE) but unfortunately not half/half which I prefer.

      It's a small difference, so go for your preference, but def try for non-homogenized if you can find it.
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'd say heavy cream but don't forget to check the ingredient list. Many have stabilizers, emulsifiers, and other preservatives added to them. The only brand I've found so far that is just pure cream is Trader Joes.

        Comment


        • #5
          I like heavy cream better myself. Its gonna be more expensive than half/half though. As to Primalness....think more in terms of your tolerance to dairy and how the cow was raised.

          Comment


          • #6
            Heavy cream does not get homogenized. You want to look for cream or half and half that is not ultra pasteurized. Pasteurization is to be avoided if possible but is not always easy to find products that have not been pasteurized so at least try to avoid "ultra" pasteurization which is done at higher temps.

            Homogenization only forcefully blends the fat and milk molecules so that they will not separate. Cream is just fat so does not require this. If given a choice go with the heavy cream to avoid homogenization. It is more filling even if it does have a few more calories.

            Comment


            • #7
              My vote is for heavy cream b/c it's fracking delicious-- especially Kalona Supernatural grass fed heavy cream. HEAVEN!

              another alternative is raw cream. See my tutorial on acquiring that here:
              The Primal Junk Foodie: Raw Cream and Raspberries
              Last edited by Dr. Bork Bork; 04-29-2012, 08:54 AM.
              --Trish (Bork)
              TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
              http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
              FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Thank you everyone for your replies. I believe I will purchase heavy cream from Trader Joes'.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
                  My vote is for heavy cream b/c it's fracking delicious-- especially Kalona Supernatural grass fed heavy cream. HEAVEN!

                  another alternative is raw cream. See my tutorial on acquiring that here:
                  The Primal Junk Foodie: Raw Cream and Raspberries
                  Awesome. I just started getting raw milk. I'm the cream junkie of the family so this rocks!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The 18% cream I had purchased had dextrose in it. I only noticed after using about half the 1L carton.
                    Ramblings of an Unamused Mouse (Lots of Food Porn, Too!)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Steve Cardillo View Post
                      Thank you everyone for your replies. I believe I will purchase heavy cream from Trader Joes'.
                      East Coast and West may differ, but out here the organic carton is the only one that doesn't contain stabilizers. I can't remember if it's ultra-pasteurized or not. I get the organic heavy cream, though; lasts me a good two weeks.

                      If I'm near a Sprouts, I'll pick up some of the pastured cream from Organic Valley. It's tasty stuff. I think it's ultra-pasteurized, though, which makes me sad.

                      I WISH we had Super Natural near here.
                      Steph
                      My Primal Meanderings

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
                        My vote is for heavy cream b/c it's fracking delicious-- especially Kalona Supernatural grass fed heavy cream. HEAVEN!

                        another alternative is raw cream. See my tutorial on acquiring that here:
                        The Primal Junk Foodie: Raw Cream and Raspberries
                        Agreed on the Kalona. Awesome stuff.
                        LastBottleWines

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I buy either raw cream or vat pasteurized heavy cream

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by onalark View Post
                            East Coast and West may differ, but out here the organic carton is the only one that doesn't contain stabilizers. I can't remember if it's ultra-pasteurized or not. I get the organic heavy cream, though; lasts me a good two weeks.

                            If I'm near a Sprouts, I'll pick up some of the pastured cream from Organic Valley. It's tasty stuff. I think it's ultra-pasteurized, though, which makes me sad.

                            I WISH we had Super Natural near here.

                            I sent a note to organic valley to ask why they ultra-pasteurize all their cream and they said they send what the store orders and recommended I ask the store to order something else. I just buy another brand that is just vat pasteurized now. Can't get raw milk cream unless I pay 3 bucks for a half pint. yikes.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Classic View Post
                              I sent a note to organic valley to ask why they ultra-pasteurize all their cream and they said they send what the store orders and recommended I ask the store to order something else. I just buy another brand that is just vat pasteurized now. Can't get raw milk cream unless I pay 3 bucks for a half pint. yikes.
                              Yeah, raw cream is crazy expensive here.

                              And maybe I need to poke my Sprouts with the poking stick. Thanks for writing in and relaying what you learned!
                              Steph
                              My Primal Meanderings

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X