High LDL number & Statin Drugs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High LDL number & Statin Drugs

I see that the cholesterol issue is a hot topic so thought I would get your collective advice on my blood numbers:

HDL = 107
    Triglycerides = 56
    LDL = 148
    Total Chol = 266

I have been following primal for 1 year and the HDL has been pretty constant over 100 and my tri levels have been dropping, with the LDL number increasing... I have finally lost the battle with my MD and he gave me a script for a statin drug... and I don't want to take it... any thoughts/advice??? From what I have read on the forums, it seems that my LDL is most probably the good fluffy type, but is there anything else I can do (short of taking the statin) to lower the LDL number to get the MD off my case??? thanks!

Ask your doctor to test your LDL cholesterol directly. For most lab tests, because it's inexpensive, the LDL number is indirectly calculated using the Freidewald equation (LDL = TC - HDL - [TG/5]...I get 145, in your case), but it seems to break down when your TGs get down to your level. See this post from Dr. Michael Eades:

In Sanity,
    Charlie

Weight: 350/200 (within 16 months)/205
    Body Fat: 50%/12%/10%

A Day in the Life of Groktimus Prime

Comment

Charlie - thanks I will def check ask for this... I have felt so much better following the primal lifestyle that is was a bit disheartening for my MD to prescribe a statin when I don't believe or feel that I need it!!!

Comment

No problem. Your HDL number is awesome. Now, if you would just quit burning so much stored body fat, your calculated LDL number would "improve"!
        In Sanity,
        Charlie

Weight: 350/200 (within 16 months)/205
        Body Fat: 50%/12%/10%

A Day in the Life of Groktimus Prime

Comment

yes I think you hit it... although I am at a good weight, I still have a bit of a residual spare tire in the abs that is probably the problem

Comment

You don't have to fill the prescription. Simply so no. You're numbers are great
            Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

You couldn't pay me to take a statin. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-revealed.aspx
              and this one: Statins Do Not Decrease Small Dense LDL Proportion | Mark's Daily Apple

Have you seen this one? I have high cholesterol, and I don’t care
              I technically have high cholesterol as well- high HDL, very low trigs, high LDL. But my risk for heart disease in the next 10 years is pretty much nil. If my doc pushed me hard to go on statins, I'd fire him.
              You don't have to be sick to get better.
              Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
              Primal start: 1/2/2012
              My Primal Journal
              Living, loving and learning.

Comment

Ask you doctor to go over the data on using statins for prevention of heart attacks in otherwise healthy people. Even by CW standards the data is pretty unconvincing. (If you have already had a heart attack the data is a little more convincing)

With your numbers, I would not even consider taking a statin.

You can also ask for a coronary artery calcium scan which will look for plaque buildup in your vessels. If all clear, then you have even more evidence that you don't have an issue.
                Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Many thanks to all for all your comments... And I have not filled nor do I plan to fill that statin prescription!!!

Comment

I think your numbers look really good. I know the total seems really high but with an HDL of 107 you'll never get TC below 200.

Comment

Originally posted by Linny View Post
                      I think your numbers look really good. I know the total seems really high but with an HDL of 107 you'll never get TC below 200.
                      Good point... I think I need to ask my MD for the more specific LDL tests to prove to him that I don't need the statins.

Comment

The test you want to have is called a VAP test. It will directly measure your LDL particle size and the MD will quietly curl up in the corner babbling in complete confusion when the report says your likelihood of a heart attach is less than 10%. By the looks of your AWESOME numbers, I'm sure the LDL you do have is Light Fluffy (called "pattern A") and nothing at all to worry about.

Your MD may still try to convince you to go on the statins, even in the face of all the evidence in the world that it would be nuts. I had to agree to disagree, telling my MD outright that the script, if she gave it to me, would be deposited in the lobby trash can on the way out of the office. She was shocked anyone would say such a thing, but finally had to agree that perhaps there was something to this after reading the stack of research papers I handed her upon my departure.
                        Last edited by Karma; 06-02-2012, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Last year, I got my cholesterol numbers. My LDL was 232. Yep. My HDL was about 121, and my overall was more than 300. My tris were 30-something. My primary doc wanted me on meds. I changed docs. New doc isn't thrilled with the numbers and highly recommended a Mediterranean diet. I tried that. Not for me. Now I'm back on primal/paleo. Heck with it. I'm not going to freak out over my cholesterol. I'm just not.
                          F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

Working...
                          X