Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mexican food - Corn, rice, flour... HELP

Hey guys,

My friends and I are going out to dinner tonight and they picked this mexican place - the place seems pretty sensitive to gluten but everything has rice and corn. What do you all order when you go out for mexican?

Thanks!
    It is always too early to quit.
    Went primal- 02/25/12, height: 5'6", starting weight: 143.0, current weight: 133.8

"Doubt never stops. Neither do you."- Prove People Wrong.
    http://www.provepeoplewrong.com/

Originally posted by c_bolton12 View Post
    Hey guys,

My friends and I are going out to dinner tonight and they picked this mexican place - the place seems pretty sensitive to gluten but everything has rice and corn. What do you all order when you go out for mexican?

Thanks!
    Unless you're going out really often, just avoid the worst offenders and have a good time. If you eat some rice and corn tortillas and get back on track tomorrow, you'll be better off than if you stress and fret and post questions on the MDA forums. Just make sure you choose gluten free options and avoid rancid, oxidized PUFA's to the best of your ability.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

most mexican restaurants will usually have a meal with meat as the main course, and you can always ask for veggies or something as a side if you want. rice or potatoes aren't going to be that bad, and if you can handle corn there are worse things you could have. the bigger problem is what some of these foods might be cooked with, i.e. vegetable oils.

usually, when i'm out for mexican i'll go with carne asada, fajitas (without the tortillas) or something like that, but if i'm out with friends and having a good time, i'll indulge a little more and share the nachos or quesadillas the table is sharing.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I just order the fajitas and eat them with all the fixins but not the tortillas.

I think you would find it extremely difficult to avoid PUFAs at any mexican place though. I am sure they all use some kind of vegetable or canola oil instead of animal fats or butter. Whatever you do don't stress over the details otherwise it aint worth doing.
        Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

Thanks guys! I try not to stress about it but wanted to ask in case there was a go to. I was in and out of the hospital for the 3 months before I found PB so I try to be as strict as possible as I've been healthy since I started in February.
          It is always too early to quit.
          Went primal- 02/25/12, height: 5'6", starting weight: 143.0, current weight: 133.8

"Doubt never stops. Neither do you."- Prove People Wrong.
          http://www.provepeoplewrong.com/

Comment

Don't stress THIS is what the 80/20 rule is all about. Enjoy the time with your friends and avoid the worst of the poisons.
            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
            PS
            Don't forget to play!

Comment

Don't forget the guacamole!

Comment

yeah, i do fajitas with no tortillas and try to get them to swap me out some guacamole salad for the beans/rice when I wind up at a messican joint.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                  Don't stress THIS is what the 80/20 rule is all about. Enjoy the time with your friends and avoid the worst of the poisons.
                  Thread closed.
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I'd eat the rice and corn. The only thing I really try to avoid when I go out to eat is non-fermented wheat and soybean oil. Corn, white rice, beans, beer - they're fair game the once a month I eat out. This isn't a religion, it's about the best choices you can make at the time. 1 bad meal won't erase 50 good ones. The average American eats 50 out of 50 bad meals and still makes it to 75.

Tip: see if they have corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas. Many corn tortillas are treated in lime (not lime juice, actual lime you buy at Home Depot from limestone) and it destroys the mycotoxin. Traditional Central American cultures would ferment the corn with the ashes of burned trees. Lime-treated corn tortillas are gluten-free and traditionally prepared and aren't all that terrible. If you want to wrap up a fajita, request corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas.
                    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-27-2012, 07:42 AM.
                    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I love mexican food and there is a great place up the street from me. I get the burrito bowl and get them to hold the rice and beans where I have just carne asada, lettuce, tomatoes, grilled peppers and onions, and guacamole. So awesome and inline with this lifestyle.

Comment

Carnitas are hopefully cooked in the pork fat rather than vegetable oil

Comment

Originally posted by tresa
                          I actually find Mexican to be one of the easier places. Our fav Mex place has a steak/chick/shrimp combo fajita and I just skip the tortillas.

The place is a family restaurant, not a chain, and I can see the containers of LARD in the back area
                          Exactly. I, now, detest going to places like Acapulco (the restaurant); and, other upscale Mexican places. I find mom, and pop shops will cook with lard. Knowing this, I typically get a carne asada plate, sans beans, rice, or tortilla. However, I will opt for the rice, these days.
                          If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Real mexican food cooked with lard is soooo good.
                            I have to make it myself, but it's easy and satisfying.

Comment

If it's a "gringo" Mexican place, I'll get the fajitas and eat the beans (never did like that Mexican rice) and skip the tortillas. Yeah, the beans probably are full of crisco. Whatev.

If it's a real taqueria, I'll get tacos and habanero salsa (live dangerously!) and skip the corn tortillas unless I'm really hungry, then eat one or two. If they make the tortillas by hand, I'll definitely eat them. Tacos de raja with real hand-made masa tortillas are my favorite. THAT's what the 20% is for!
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X