Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avoid diet coke, I believe it knocked me out of ketosis !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoid diet coke, I believe it knocked me out of ketosis !

I know its not Primal but im doing a 48 hr fast, ive been in Ketosis for 3 days now and 36 hrs into the fast - this morning before hitting the gym the Ketostik showed 40% after a 40 minute run and a swim I drank 2 diet Pepsi - 3 hrs later the Ketosis is zero !

I think most people on here wouldn't drink diet coke anyway for health reasons. However I have read that Aspartame can affect blood sugar levels as it confuses the body. Somebody may be able to give a more scientific explanation than that if you wanted one. Other than that, just avoid the nasty stuff!
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Comment

Thats really interesting i wonder who else has done ketosis check or blood sugars and seen a change.i know diabetics who drink the stuff without a prob???

Comment

Don't drink coke, it messes you up
        Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

Avoid allowing huge rocks to fall on your head, because they could mess up your hairdo...
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
            Avoid allowing huge rocks to fall on your head, because they could mess up your hairdo...
            Apt analogy....

Comment

Why are you trying to get to ketosis? What is your end goal here?

Comment

No shit. I mean really. It's no-carb but still full of sweeteners...that's gonna mess with your glycemic index, right?

Ingredients: Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), flavourings (including caffeine), phosphoric acid, citric acid. Contains a source of phenylalanine.
                carl's cave

Comment

So was it Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi?

Comment

Mark linked some studies that showed no insulin spike from aspartame.

Do Artificial Sweeteners Cause an Insulin Spike? | Mark's Daily Apple

I know its probably better off excluding something from our diets that has no health value, only possible negatives, but I consume a fair amount of the stuff without any observable health problems. And I haven't yet seen any clinical evidence that they do cause health problems. However, I've never heard of the ketosis angle. While ketosis isn't regularly a goal of mine, that would be an interesting test.

Comment

I thought that sometimes ketones will be at zero after a workout because they are currently being used by the muscles and are not free floating through our system. That's something I remember hearing....

Comment

Diet Sweeteners Can Make You Sick and Fat

Comment

Originally posted by statikcat View Post
                          Natural news is propaganda garbage. This article is a study done on rats that says rat fed artificial sweeteners caused rats to overeat and gain more weight than rats given sugary foods. If you are a rat, it might be best to stay away from artificial sweeteners.

These studies are stupid. Studies have shown that people that drink diet soda tend to gain more weight, but correlation doesn't equal causation. I have never had a diet soda and later became hungrier because of it. It might be different for some people, but I have never had that happen. And really it is no surprise that people that drink diet soda gain more weight...people with healthy lifestyles probably drink water. Its not that drinking diet soda makes you fat, it is that people that are fat drink diet soda to be "healthier."

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
                            Natural news is propaganda garbage. This article is a study done on rats that says rat fed artificial sweeteners caused rats to overeat and gain more weight than rats given sugary foods. If you are a rat, it might be best to stay away from artificial sweeteners.

These studies are stupid. Studies have shown that people that drink diet soda tend to gain more weight, but correlation doesn't equal causation. I have never had a diet soda and later became hungrier because of it. It might be different for some people, but I have never had that happen. And really it is no surprise that people that drink diet soda gain more weight...people with healthy lifestyles probably drink water. Its not that drinking diet soda makes you fat, it is that people that are fat drink diet soda to be "healthier."
                            It is just one of many outlets for information. I don't visit frequently actually. It is a good read but not definitive. I wouldn't call them a propaganda site although they are big on anti-fed (if that is what you mean?). They do a lot of work against GMO, etc but providing a link does not mean I am endorsing the site as the end-all be-all.

I do think sweeteners can cause people to gain weight but maybe more from a psychological perspective than a biological one. The rat test is just that - a rat test. Anyone with half a brain reading a rat test should know it is not definitive of what happens on humans but it is interesting, to me at least, nonetheless. I always found the rat study interesting that it seems in rats when they taste something sweet, even if lacking calories or sugar, triggers a response for the body to go into storage mode.

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post

Well, these studies are certainly useful for determining whether you should have more studies but agreed that they mean nothing in themselves.

All I know is that my weight is fine and have used plenty of artificial sweeteners over the last 20 years. I also have great blood-work and good fitness. I'm personally more concerned that they have other, long-term health problems. However, I haven't seen any clinic studies yet suggesting that (always happy to read some, though!).

Again, I understand that these sweeteners offer no health benefits and I respect the decision not to use them, either out of caution or just good taste, but I do think they are made a bit of a boogie man.

Comment

Working...
                              X