cooking oil alternatives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooking oil alternatives

My family is Chinese and my mom cooks everything in canola oil. I've been trying to get her to change her oil, but she says there aren't really other alternatives, especially for chinese-cooking. She lives in Hong Kong, and readily available cooking oils are peanut, corn, sunflower, safflower, grapeseed, and sesame. She refuses to use sesame oil because it's too 'heating'.

Any suggestions on what kind of oil would be good to use for chinese cooking?

Any suggestions on what kind of oil would be good to use for chinese cooking?

A refined coconut oil wd.n't impart the perhaps undesirable coconut flavour, in this instance at least, and wd. be appropriate for hi-heat cooking.
    Last edited by Terry H; 04-26-2012, 07:21 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Also refined palm oil is little flavour and it good for high heat cooking. Unfortunately, palm plantations are replacing natural habitat in SE Asia, so its not a good option from an ecological view
      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I use Ghee for pretty much all my cooking.
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Ghee is the best choice if they don't want the flavor of coconut oil and palm oil, but you have to render it yourself most likely. At that point, they may as well render their own lard or tallow, and it sounds like they're too lazy to do so.

You could probably use pure olive oil (extra virgin may be too strong), avocado oil or high oleic sunflower oil (MUST be high oleic - its lipid profile is similar to olive oil's but flavorless, although it lacks the healthy phenolic content). None are ideal, but it's infinitely better than the alternatives.

I love these people that way there's "no other choice." There are dozens of choices, they just don't give a damn.

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They just started selling high oleic sunflower oil. 12g of fat out of the 14g of total fat is monounsaturated and it has next to no PUFA or SFA. Yes, it's not perfect, but it's very inexpensive and better than many alternatives. Honestly, I'd just use extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil since they're readily available, but if they're going to whine about the subtle flavor, this would be an improvement.
          Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-26-2012, 08:01 PM.
          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

My family lives in Hong Kong, and ghee and coconut oil are hard to find. I'm going to try looking for palm oil.

Olive oil is also readily available but is it okay for stir-frying?

Comment

Ghee and coconut oil are hard to find here in Hong Kong. Olive oil is readily available as all those oils I listed, but is it okay for stir-frying?

My mom does everything by the CW book, eats low fat, avoids red meat, and only uses vegetable oil. When I advised her to change those aspects of her diet, she took out a pamphlet that the HK Government hands out about how to battle cholesterol, and said I'm telling her all the wrong things.

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
              Ghee is the best choice if they don't want the flavor of coconut oil and palm oil, but you have to render it yourself most likely. At that point, they may as well render their own lard or tallow, and it sounds like they're too lazy to do so.

You could probably use pure olive oil (extra virgin may be too strong), avocado oil or high oleic sunflower oil (MUST be high oleic - its lipid profile is similar to olive oil's but flavorless, although it lacks the healthy phenolic content). None are ideal, but it's infinitely better than the alternatives.

I love these people that way there's "no other choice." There are dozens of choices, they just don't give a damn.

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They just started selling high oleic sunflower oil. 12g of fat out of the 14g of total fat is monounsaturated and it has next to no PUFA or SFA. Yes, it's not perfect, but it's very inexpensive and better than many alternatives. Honestly, I'd just use extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil since they're readily available, but if they're going to whine about the subtle flavor, this would be an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by girlhk View Post
                she took out a pamphlet that the HK Government hands out about how to battle cholesterol, and said I'm telling her all the wrong things.

That's because, obviously, the government cares more about her than you do.
                Female, age 51, 5' 9"
                SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
                2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Originally posted by jojohaligo View Post
                  That's because, obviously, the government cares more about her than you do.
                  Love the humor on this forum

Comment

Ghee and coconut oil are hard to find here in Hong Kong. Olive oil is readily available as all those oils I listed, but is it okay for stir-frying?

My mom does everything by the CW book, eats low fat, avoids red meat, and only uses vegetable oil. When I advised her to change those aspects of her diet, she took out a pamphlet that the HK Government hands out about how to battle cholesterol, and said I'm telling her all the wrong things.
                    If you're looking for the fatty intersection between primal and CW, Olive Oil is definitely it.

And luckily, apparently it doesn't get damaged that much when you cook with it.
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

I asked my Chinese colleagues and they tell me the traditional Chinese cooking fat is lard, and they only stopped using it when they moved to Canada in the 80s.

Comment

Macadamia Oil. Could get pricey though

Comment

Yes. Not only is olive oil perfect for stir-frying, it is great for deep frying provided it is extra virgin, you have a thermometer so you can keep it at 360 degrees (375+ will hit smoke point) and you don't mind the flavor. It took 24-27 HOURS in a deep fryer to damage OLIVE OIL - it wasn't even extra virgin. Extra virgin will hold up even longer, and I doubt you'll be heating it at 375 degrees for an entire day. Good quality extra virgin olive oil is EXTREMELY resistant to heat, and don't let the saturated fat Nazis on this site tell you any differently. Those people are just obsessed with bragging about their saturated fat consumption and love bashing olive oil because it's so counter-culture. Ignore them. They've never read a study. Olive oil is the one thing Primal, Paleo and CW agree on. Just store it away from heat and light.

Use extra virgin olive oil. It's just as healthful and she shouldn't have a problem with it since CW praises it, too.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                            Yes. Not only is olive oil perfect for stir-frying, it is great for deep frying provided it is extra virgin, you have a thermometer so you can keep it at 360 degrees (375+ will hit smoke point) and you don't mind the flavor. It took 24-27 HOURS in a deep fryer to damage OLIVE OIL - it wasn't even extra virgin. Extra virgin will hold up even longer, and I doubt you'll be heating it at 375 degrees for an entire day. Good quality extra virgin olive oil is EXTREMELY resistant to heat, and don't let the saturated fat Nazis on this site tell you any differently. Those people are just obsessed with bragging about their saturated fat consumption and love bashing olive oil because it's so counter-culture. Ignore them. They've never read a study. Olive oil is the one thing Primal, Paleo and CW agree on. Just store it away from heat and light.

Use extra virgin olive oil. It's just as healthful and she shouldn't have a problem with it since CW praises it, too.
                            There are folks here bashing olive oil?
                            If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Originally posted by lssanjose View Post
                              There are folks here bashing olive oil?
                              Oh my God. If you read this forum a lot, you'd think exposing olive oil to anything above room temperature immediately turns it into rancid trans fats. It's unbelievable. We're so inundated with people obsessed with the counter-culture aspect of consuming saturated fat that they take pleasure in trying to ruin olive oil's reputation because it's low in saturated fat. It's annoying and patently false. Olive oil is a solid cooking oil, and I prefer it to any fat except butter/ghee.

Comment

Working...
                              X