Cloves - Poison or flavor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloves - Poison or flavor?

Seeing lots of info about pesticide use and toxicity, but usually just for the essential oil. What about a pinch of plain old organic ground clove in my coffee? Long term use safe?

http://www.marinwater.org/documents/...il_8_28_08.pdf

Cloves

Clearly I could read these things all day long and get nowhere...anybody already do the digging on this one?
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Cloves are really strong. Being so strong you will use such minute amounts I wouldn't worry about the fact that the concentrated clove oil is an herbicide.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I would guess that your tongue would disintegrate before you could hit a critical dose of clove...

Comment

Actually, true story:
        once i put too much clove in my curry. i could tell it was making my mouth a little bit funny, but i ate it anyway because I'm a bloody cheap Yankee and all that. (I have lots of stories like that...) then i went to bed. when i woke up, i realized i was dizzy and spacy; i tried taking a shower and dressing for work and by the time i'd completed those tasks, i was pretty much seeing the room spin. no sickness, just dizzy/floaty. so i called in and spent the day sleeping and barely moving my head. why do i know it was the cloves? there was nothing else potentially untoward, and it happened again when i ate the leftovers.

this is an anecdote; i tend to be fairly sensitive to stuff like that; BUT, as an anecdote, i'm sure it was the cloves that made me a bit fucked up there. i also use it to anesthetize and euthanize fish. take that for what it's worth.

to answer the OP question: i have never heard anything about time-cumulative clove flavourings being an issue; i don't think eugenol is something that would build up and make you sick, but it's probably worth checking google scholar for search terms like "long term eugenol exposure". cool question

Comment

Aye, clove is used as an oral anaesthetic by ye olde housewives (hold a clove against toothache), powerful stuff.

Comment

There are also clove cigarettes, which can make you feel loopy if you smoke a more than a couple in a sitting. Not that I would know anything about that....

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

Working...
            X