Don't you hate it when....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't you hate it when....

You buy a food item which appears for all intents and purposes to be Grok friendly, only to casually read the ingredients whilst scarfing said 'primal' food and gasp in horror at what they put in it?

I purchased 3 tubs of cottage cheese yesterday for my breakfasts. Today I decided to eat the one with pineapple (I normally eat plain but fancied a bit of a change)....munching away only to read added Sugar?!?! WTF? why would you add sugar? is natural milk curd and diced fruit not good enough?
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

no clue, but I always, always read the ingredients.

Comment

Why would you add sugar - cos most of the westen world is addicted to sugar and can't tast food properly unless it is sweetened, and pinapple clearly isn't sweet enough by it's self.
      You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

Or when you buy something that you've bought before, and halfway through discover they've changed the ingredients .... specifically to add sugar!

Comment

I usually read labels unless I feel it's unnecessary. I ate a couple of pots of 'natural' goats yoghurt without checking the ingredients. When I looked at the nutrition label I saw that fiber was listed. I was like WTF? When I checked the ingredients I found out that corn starch had been added.
          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
            no clue, but I always, always read the ingredients.
            Unfortunately when I am doing a shop for a non primal family and me, I don't have time to read labels, as I hate food shopping I am in and out as quickly as possible. I guess if I am going to change my 'usual' list I need to make an effort to read labels
            Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Comment

I found the Sainsbury’s online grocery shop quite helpful. E.g. for the "be good to yourself" pineapple cottage cheese it does not only give you the contents but also a complete breakdown in proteins, fat and carbs, and fibres.
              Whilst I prefer do my shopping at the shops I use this as a resource tool quite a lot and my eyes also thank me for that as the nutrition labels are in general rather ridiculously tiny

Comment

Call me crazy, but I don't buy anything that has labels or ingredients. These things are NOT Primal.

If it comes in a tub or a box or a sealed bag...don't eat it!
                If it has more than one ingredient...don't eat it!

Comment

Originally posted by oliviascotland View Post
                  Or when you buy something that you've bought before, and halfway through discover they've changed the ingredients .... specifically to add sugar!
                  or when they use deceptive packaging. i just jacked these from the interwebz but in my local whole foods the color scheme is the same as the second picture for both......

the first one has HCC inside.
                  the second one has HWC and Carageenan
                  I kills them all, bitches

first

and second

Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                  Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                  Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Yep, guilty.
                    As I'm new to all of this, it's definitely a learning process. I learned really quickly that "organic" means F-all as far as quality and ingredients.
                    "I did it for money and for a woman. I didn't get the money, and I didn't get the woman"

Comment

I always hate the misleading artwork - for example Tescos meats will have lots of countryside/farmy photos suggesting these animals were brought up in the countryside WRONG - most of them never saw a blade of green grass let along vistas!
                      Walter Elliot

Comment

When shopping for primal food you shouldn't have to read labels, because there shouldn't be any!!!! (ok, I make an exception for bacon and some cheese )

Comment

Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                          or when they use deceptive packaging. i just jacked these from the interwebz but in my local whole foods the color scheme is the same as the second picture for both......

the first one has HCC inside.
                          the second one has HWC and Carageenan
                          I kills them all, bitches

first

and second

I've been burned by that brand before, too. Bought Organic Valley sour cream from the hippie food coop. I'm half a block away and think maybe I should check the label. There wasn't any cream in it at all. I returned it and yelled at them for having fake food on the shelves. Sour cream contains cream and culture and nothing else. Anything else isn't sour cream. It's imitation. Remember when they actually used to put the word imitation on the label? Anyway, I won't buy any Organic Valley anything anymore because I simply don't trust that brand.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Yep. I normally read labels closely, but I guess I figured those Planter's Dry Roasted Sunflower Seeds would be just sunflower seeds and some salt. Boy was I wrong. Just before I used them my wife and I were reading the label. I will never buy them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tribal Rob View Post
                              Why would you add sugar - cos most of the westen world is addicted to sugar and can't tast food properly unless it is sweetened, and pinapple clearly isn't sweet enough by it's self.
                              ^this^

Comment

Working...
                              X