fruit!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fruit!

another post from me, so much to learn!!

i became aware of primal by first doing a little research on paleo. now on a paleo forum there were quite a few that were against eating fruit to a certain extent due to sugar content, i however beleive that eating an extra apple a day is most definitely got to be better than eating some toast or chocolate??

Better - yes, definitely. But personally I get my carbs from sweet potatoes and other tubers, as fruit has been selectively bred for sweetness over anything else including nutrient value. It's basically fructose, water, fibre, and a bit of vitamin C.

Fructose is only used by the liver, not the muscles.

Compare to sweet potato with its potassium, beta-carotene (Converts to Vitamin A) and healthy carbs.

I am the first to admit this is probably too restrictive for most people, but it works for me. (And you did ask )

I do enjoy berries though!

Comment

Depends on the fruit. For example, 100 grams of kiwi fruit

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Kiwi fruit, (chinese gooseberries), fresh, raw

pineapple

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Pineapple, raw, all varieties

raspberry

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Raspberries, raw

I like fruit - but I prefer veg!

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
        I like fruit - but I prefer veg!
        Now you're talking

Comment

Fruit is a health food that's generally low in calories. Humans are meant to eat fruit, don't be scared of it.
          Just like vegans tend to want to ignore the last 2 million years of evolution, others who are anti-fruit tend to want to ignore the other 20 or so million years of evolution.

Originally posted by chronyx View Post
          Better - yes, definitely. But personally I get my carbs from sweet potatoes and other tubers, as fruit has been selectively bred for sweetness over anything else including nutrient value. It's basically fructose, water, fibre, and a bit of vitamin C.

Fructose is only used by the liver, not the muscles.

Compare to sweet potato with its potassium, beta-carotene (Converts to Vitamin A) and healthy carbs.

I am the first to admit this is probably too restrictive for most people, but it works for me. (And you did ask )

I do enjoy berries though!
          That's a bit of a myth. Many wild fruits are higher in sugar and lower in water content than modern cultivated fruits. It varies.
          Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 04-25-2012, 06:39 AM.

Comment

As I understand it, sweetness isn't the main attribute they breed into fruit.

Appearance and durability are the two main things the industry is looking for. Taste and texture are down list from making sure they can truck the "products" 3000 miles and keep it looking pretty.

Of course, the veggies aren't all that much better. I'm ready for the farmers market to start!

Comment

Originally posted by chronyx View Post
              It's basically fructose, water, fibre, and a bit of vitamin C.

I'm sorry but this sounds incredibly stupid to me

Comment

Fruit is good. Pick your fruits wisely. Enjoy berries and cherries most. Not every day. And eat fruit seasonally - they're a summer and fall thing. Don't eat as much/any fruit through the winter. If you're in a northern climate it doesn't taste good, can't be local, and fructose combined with shorter days has shown some bad effects. Not saying an apple here and there in the winter will kill you, but fruits are most definitely seasonal unless you're genetically adapted to the tropics.
                5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Comment

If you like fruit, enjoy it!

I love fruit, and am looking forward to picking strawberries and blackberries this summer. I eat 1 or 2 servings most days. Lots of good stuff in fruit. Don't be afraid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavemanseph View Post
                    another post from me, so much to learn!!

i became aware of primal by first doing a little research on paleo. now on a paleo forum there were quite a few that were against eating fruit to a certain extent due to sugar content, i however beleive that eating an extra apple a day is most definitely got to be better than eating some toast or chocolate??
                    ok......

Comment

Originally posted by samiamm View Post
                      I'm sorry but this sounds incredibly stupid to me
                      I'm sorry but your rebuttal is less than stupid....please rather than calling someones opinions stupid substantiate your own with some sort of valuable information.

Comment

Personally I'd rather you compare fruit to alcohol....cause I choose alcohol and limit to extinguish the fruit .....Priorities as always.

Comment

I didn't think I had to?? Different types of fruits all contain a handful of different types of nutrients. Bananas are full of potassium, avocados are full of healthy fats, etc. etc. I agree maybe I shouldn't of harshly just stated "that sounds really stupid to me" but I remember when I was a newbie first checking out these forums and if I saw something like that, I'd automatically jump to that conclusion.......smh...........

Comment

I eat fruit. I love fruit! It curbs the cravings for bad things, and it tricks my brain into thinking it's had a yummy dessert, so it's happy. I don't eat much though - a handful of berries in a small cup of Greek yogurt (yes, I do dairy too ) or apple slices drizzled in almond butter. I have also started adding a banana on workout days - I was feeling very fatigued and weak about halfway through my workouts, even after upping protein and fats. One banana about 2 hours before my workout completely fixed the problem. Plus bananas are yummy.
                            Life is short. Eat Beef!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

fruit is not a bad choice, if you can digest it and deal with the sugar.
                              for everyone, it is different.
                              generally, berries are at the top of the list for being a nutrient powerhouse, lower in sugar, and a good fiber source. plus right now (depending on your location) they are in season or will be in a few weeks-month.
                              Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
                              Friend me on "The Facebook"
                              Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

Working...
                              X