Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Past Vegans Who "Did It Right"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Past Vegans Who "Did It Right"?

    I am curious to hear if there are any raw vegans or vegans, or even vegetarians, who actually ate the proper combinations of proteins, ate enough calories, and knew enough about nutrition to succeed on a vegan diet, but still had problems!

    I am beginning to worry that a plant-based diet may not be a great idea, but I can't find a single thing online that proves this to be the case. In fact, I rather find the opposite. Also, I am looking for personal stories, not links to other (now famous) people such as Lierre Keith, an array of bloggers I've visited, or etc. I have seen them all. Yes, seriously. Yes, I've SEEN beyondveg and letthemeatmeat. Yes, really. I need personal accounts, thank you very much.

    Thank you.

  • #2
    im not sure you will find anyone like that here.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
      im not sure you will find anyone like that here.
      Thank you for the honesty. :/ I am still hopeful, that perhaps someone is or knows someone who has suffered through something similar to myself. It's frustrating to be told I'm "doing it wrong," when in fact, I'm not!

      I've been a long-term vegan (after being a short-term vegetarian) and something simply doesn't feel right with my health, so I would be very thankful for any stories.

      Comment


      • #4
        Well most vegans/vegetarians who come here find this place because they were not doing so well. Hence the change to primal.
        Not sure why you would come here, if you think being a vegan is the right thing to do? We eat a lot of meat around here.

        Comment


        • #5
          Well, by vegetarian, you probably don't mean fish, but in case you do, smoked salmon.

          Have you incorporated any raw dairy or raw cheese? Hemp protein? Chia seeds? There's rawfoodtalk.com, but they're as ideological as some of the regulars on this site (but a bit more friendly due to the lack of testosterone).

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm not a preaching vegan, and there really isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to eat, in my opinion! I simply want to eat in the healthiest way possible, but can't understand why I would feel terrible on what seems to be the healthiest diet.

            Yep, that's why I'm actually hoping one of those former vegans or vegetarians might say a word or two to help me!

            Thank you so much for the reply!

            Comment


            • #7
              There is no such thing as a vegetarian or vegan "doing it right." Humans are omnivores. You cannot exclude meat OR plants and "do it right." You need both.
              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

              Comment


              • #8
                Well surely you feeling like there is something wrong with your health, tells you that you need to change something?

                You do have to find what works for you of course.

                Comment


                • #9
                  There was one who left the forum, recently: I believe Johneev? I don't remember his exact user name, but his points were well laid out, as to how he was able to eat fairly vegetarian/vegan.
                  If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ex-vegan since 2010. Not going back!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I did short stints with veganism and raw food veganism but I could never get it exactly right. It was just always a struggle to feel nourished and not obsess about eating more.

                      Within a couple days of primal eating everything felt much more "right" for me.

                      If your health is suffering, I say give paleo a try. If you buy humanely raised, pastured animals you are living just as ethically as if you are vegan. Or start eliminating processed foods, grains, and bad oils plus add in fish and some good quality fats. If you get an inkling of improvement in your health you can decide if you want to continue forward from there.
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

                      http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I was vegetarian/vegan for 10 years.

                        i was vegan for a long while (5/6 years), and i ate whole foods, studied nutrition, and ate mostly raw. I was definitely grain light (i don't prefer grains), but I did well overall until my cholesterol was too low.

                        I went back to eating eggs and dairy, which solved that problem. Then, i later went paleo. I still eat a lot of vegetarian meals (usually at least one of my two meals a day is vegetarian, and sometimes two of them are -- and no, i'm not including fish in that definition of vegetarian -- just eggs since I don't eat a lot of dairy, just butter twice a week).

                        So, yeah. I don't know if thats' what you were looking for or not.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                          There is no such thing as a vegetarian or vegan "doing it right." Humans are omnivores. You cannot exclude meat OR plants and "do it right." You need both.
                          A vegetarian can eat eggs, cheese, butter, dairy, etc., and still get fat and protein in plentiful amounts. Apparently some also eat fish, but I'm not sure how you can call yourself a vegetarian. I think vegetarianism is silly, but you can do it and still be quite healthy.

                          Veganism is just silly.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Primal Bob View Post
                            A vegetarian can eat eggs, cheese, butter, dairy, etc., and still get fat and protein in plentiful amounts. Apparently some also eat fish, but I'm not sure how you can call yourself a vegetarian. I think vegetarianism is silly, but you can do it and still be quite healthy.

                            Veganism is just silly.
                            It's still not ideal. Look, I love eggs. I go through 1-2 dozen a week and enjoy every single bite. Dairy isn't ideal by any means, but some days I go completely meatless and get all my protein through eggs and dairy. Hell, I've done dairy only days because it's just what I wanted. The ideal human diet still contains copious amounts of animal flesh and I'm taking that notion to the grave with me.
                            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MoiraineD View Post
                              I am curious to hear if there are any raw vegans or vegans, or even vegetarians, who actually ate the proper combinations of proteins, ate enough calories, and knew enough about nutrition to succeed on a vegan diet, but still had problems!

                              I am beginning to worry that a plant-based diet may not be a great idea, but I can't find a single thing online that proves this to be the case. In fact, I rather find the opposite. Also, I am looking for personal stories, not links to other (now famous) people such as Lierre Keith, an array of bloggers I've visited, or etc. I have seen them all. Yes, seriously. Yes, I've SEEN beyondveg and letthemeatmeat. Yes, really. I need personal accounts, thank you very much.

                              Thank you.
                              Would appreciate it if you made a little sense, or followed your own logic. How are ex-vegan bloggers not giving personal accounts?
                              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X