Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does excess fat go in a >90% fat diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kharnath View Post
    Well, I'm a bikini model sitting around 18% body fat at the moment...

Now go out and eat 4000 kcals of fat per day and report back in a month. Show the naysayers how it's done.
    lol!
    Last edited by jakey; 04-25-2012, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dallytante View Post
      Thank you to the person who provided the fatty acid oxidation link--it actually raises a few interesting questions that suggests that the outcome of the overconsumption of fat may not be weight gain.
      yeah, now that you understand how the body burns fat, you're really on to something. time to eat thousands of extra calories of fat and lose weight. you've found the secret.

Comment

Plus, I can put down a Big Mac meal with no thought, but you sit me down with 39 cups of green beans...

Comment

I do this 3-4 days a week, it causes fat loss. Fairly to very effective, online it is called the Atkins Fat Fast, Google for more info. Research on it was published in 1957 in the Lancet journal by Keckiwick & Pawan; their findings were that a brief diet of 90% fat & lowered calories (1,000) is the most effective fat loss pattern & also spares lean tissue. Eating high fat & no carbs is very primal & safe to do short term. Totally shuts down hunger & carb cravings. I've lost some fat doing this & am happy.

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
            I do this 3-4 days a week, it causes fat loss. Fairly to very effective, online it is called the Atkins Fat Fast, Google for more info. Research on it was published in 1957 in the Lancet journal by Keckiwick & Pawan; their findings were that a brief diet of 90% fat & lowered calories (1,000) is the most effective fat loss pattern & also spares lean tissue. Eating high fat & no carbs is very primal & safe to do short term. Totally shuts down hunger & carb cravings. I've lost some fat doing this & am happy.
            I had just learned that a week or so ago, but wasnt sure how that would work out when multiplied times 4.

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
            It's very simple. If you overeat, you gain weight. It doesn't matter if it's protein, fat or carbs. The reason why Primal works is you eat REAL FOOD that balances your hormones and provides real satiety without these wild hormonal swings that cause overconsumption. The whole foods diet is causing you to take a caloric deficit vs the SAD and you don't realize it. Primal works because you eat less calories and feel less hungry, not because of some magical metabolic advantage. You'll get just as fat off of steak, avocado and butter as you will off pasta and ice cream. The difference is it's difficult to overeat steak, avocado and butter regularly and very simple to overeat pasta and ice cream since they're empty calories that provide little nutrition or satiety.
            Ok, I do get all that. And I stay under calorie w/o any problems, I am sure for the reasons you stated. I am usually 1000 - 1400. I guess what I dont get, is if I should be honing in on it. Like to stay on the lower carb end of things. To aim for X amount of protein. And fat, I have pretty much gone from trying to keep it around 30 and now w/primal eating and discovering butter, that is up to 70 - 115, with about 80ish most days. That is one area I know I can cut but don't know now if I should. I dont have to fry everything in CO. I dont have to saute veggies in butter all the time. I focused for the most part solely on watching my carbs and the others fall where they may.

I guess I am just trying to figure out what I need to be shooting for each day. I am happy with eating fats, but I was okay w/o half as many also. I am okay with lower carbs, like 20 - 30 most days, some 50's, but I was losing weight when it was 100 - 150 (and even lots of 160 - 205 (not net, wasnt track net at that time, didnt know to) until I learned how to get it down)

Ppl say dont count calories, just eat real whole food, but then they say calorie deficit and I know I am at a deficit every single day, but I am tracking just to be sure and to watch my other macros to ensure LC and enough protein, and I dont mind tracking for now, I just don't know what in the world I should be aiming for. I can and would do any of it for optimum fat loss - anything that I needed to do, I just dont know what I need to do.
            65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

I looked at the abstract, but it didn't say what the macro breakdown was before. I'm assuming that overfeeding on carb vs fat was on top of a diet that included carbs, whereas I'm asking about a diet that is 90% fat.

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                Ppl say dont count calories, just eat real whole food, but then they say calorie deficit and I know I am at a deficit every single day, but I am tracking just to be sure and to watch my other macros to ensure LC and enough protein, and I dont mind tracking for now, I just don't know what in the world I should be aiming for. I can and would do any of it for optimum fat loss - anything that I needed to do, I just dont know what I need to do.
                You can count at the beginning, it can be useful to do that. Some people accidentally eat a lot less or more than they think they are. What you need to do is eat real, whole primal foods, and don't eat all that much of them. Low carbing is a really useful tool to get your metabolism on track, but that doesn't mean it's the answer to everything all the time, which is what is causing your confusion I think. Why not try eating roughly "as many calories as you need to maintain your weight, and no more" a few days per week, and then on a couple of other days, eat very little / don't eat until the afternoon. Which days those are should depend on your hunger and life commitments more than an arbitrary schedule. Don't overthink, just eat, real foods, plenty of protein, not too much overall on a weekly basis.
                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                  Don't overthink, just eat, real foods, plenty of protein, not too much overall on a weekly basis.
                  Sorry OP, I dont mean to hijack.

I do over think, most everything.

Why not try eating roughly "as many calories as you need to maintain your weight, and no more" a few days per week, and then on a couple of other days, eat very little / don't eat until the afternoon
                  I have been IFing since my meal last Wednesday evening, so for a week now. Fast-5, so my meals are 1 and 6. I lost 1.8 pounds this week, but the same 2 pounds I have been gaining and losing since April 8 so I am hoping now it is gone for good.

When I started primal, I had several weeks of 800 - 900 calories, while trying to figure out what to eat. I was having a difficult time because I had just added in carbs like wheats and legumes & oatmeal, which I hardly ate before, and I hardly ate fruits or yogurt until my journey but now I was use to them so then I had to get them back out. And when I did, I had to find other foods to eat so my calories were low for awhile. I adapted to LC very easy though, because I have been trying to lower them since January. Adapting to Fast-5 was even easier, with the thanks of BPcoffee, which is more fat that I added in. Fat in a cup.

I need 2027 to maintain if it's figured correctly. I dont think there is anyway I can eat that much again. I am struggling most days to get 1000. Adding the butter and CO has helped me to get it to 1200 to 1400 the past few days. That is why I freaked when ChocoTaco said "Dietary fat is the easiest thing to store as body fat. Carbs are considerably harder to turn into body fat than fat is." because I just increased my fat and lowered the carbs, so my fat is running about 60%

Anyways, been studying on it all afternoon. At night I have been reading PB-21 but then got sidetracked reading Why we get Fat.

I am trying not to trip on it all. But it just gets confusing sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                    Sorry OP, I dont mean to hijack.

I do over think, most everything.

I have been IFing since my meal last Wednesday evening, so for a week now. Fast-5, so my meals are 1 and 6. I lost 1.8 pounds this week, but the same 2 pounds I have been gaining and losing since April 8 so I am hoping now it is gone for good.

When I started primal, I had several weeks of 800 - 900 calories, while trying to figure out what to eat. I was having a difficult time because I had just added in carbs like wheats and legumes & oatmeal, which I hardly ate before, and I hardly ate fruits or yogurt until my journey but now I was use to them so then I had to get them back out. And when I did, I had to find other foods to eat so my calories were low for awhile. I adapted to LC very easy though, because I have been trying to lower them since January. Adapting to Fast-5 was even easier, with the thanks of BPcoffee, which is more fat that I added in. Fat in a cup.

I need 2027 to maintain if it's figured correctly. I dont think there is anyway I can eat that much again. I am struggling most days to get 1000. Adding the butter and CO has helped me to get it to 1200 to 1400 the past few days. That is why I freaked when ChocoTaco said "Dietary fat is the easiest thing to store as body fat. Carbs are considerably harder to turn into body fat than fat is." because I just increased my fat and lowered the carbs, so my fat is running about 60%

Anyways, been studying on it all afternoon. At night I have been reading PB-21 but then got sidetracked reading Why we get Fat.

I am trying not to trip on it all. But it just gets confusing sometimes.
                    Wow, hope you don't take offense but you sound like you have a seriously weird relationship with food. Don't think of it as three types of fuel, where the right ratio is going to make your health take off. It's just not like that. Think of it as a normal part of life. You might want to "hijack" one particular country's cuisine (Europe or Asia) and "eat like they do" with primal modifications for a while. Get a sense of what healthy people eat on a daily basis, develop your palate, learn to cook? I dunno. How overweight are you? How old?
                    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Wow, hope you don't take offense but you sound like you have a seriously weird relationship with food. Don't think of it as three types of fuel, where the right ratio is going to make your health take off. It's just not like that. Think of it as a normal part of life. You might want to "hijack" one particular country's cuisine (Europe or Asia) and "eat like they do" with primal modifications for a while. Get a sense of what healthy people eat on a daily basis, develop your palate, learn to cook? I dunno. How overweight are you? How old?
                      None taken. Just trying to find my way. And just when I think I got this, I read something else that makes me think I haven't got a darn thing.

Today, I am 47. 4 kids. I was in great shape before, and then after number 3 due to OCD type training at the gym, but after number 4.... lots of fast food and take out and not cooking at home. But I was raised basically primal type ways, meat we raised or hunted or fish, and lots of produce from a 3 acre garden, our own orchard, so it has been easy to eat this way, it was like getting back to my roots and it just feels great.

And unfortunately I do take things to the extreme, and I want to understand. I have just read so much stuff, my brain is on overload. I thought I was suppose to shoot for a certain amount of protein, like .7 - 1 gram per lean mass, and then a certain carb for certain goals so I have been striving to find that balance and I thought I hit it but now I am back to doubts again.

I have lost 41.8 pounds so far - first went fast food and take out, started cooking at home, then started cutting out processed and started cooking from scratch, cold turkey cut my gallon of sweet tea each day. January, I started tracking and trying to hit macros and calories daily (sparkpeople) and losing about 8 pounds a month, getting my macros in line especially my "good" carbs, and from there, I started hearing more about primal and researching and I was about there anyways, so it was a natural progression. But not much lost since I went primal March 15, I think and I have lost around 5 pounds or so. I would like to lose, I dont know, I am 5'4 so I am not even sure what I should weigh. I know that I use to be athletic and muscular but that has been 2 decades ago, so I don't even know where I want to end up but I know that I am no where close, maybe a third of the way there.

Comment

Well, congrats on losing the 42 lb. Losing 5 lb in a month since going primal is great, too. 5 lb a month is 60 lb in a year. Sounds like things are going really well for you, so far. If guidelines like .7 gram protein / lb of body weight are confusing, just aim to eat about a pound of meat a day, on average, it can be more or less, depending on what's for dinner etc. Then quit these forums and go for a brisk walk! I'm serious.

Comment

I hear ya. Thanks for taking the time. At least one good thing, it has got me reading books again. Now I need to finish Mark's books, and then also get 50 Shades of Grey. Sounds like a great compliment to the Sex & Bacon Diet

Comment

I see some people in here say it is really hard for (excess) carbs to turn to body fat. However, I have read and seen various sources that say otherwise. Take this Doug Mcguff MD video for example:

Paleo Diet | Doug McGuff MD | Biochemistry of the Paleo Diet - YouTube

(Should start at 1:08:24)

Doug explains that excess glucose first goes to your glycogen and then if that is full it gets transported to your fat cells.
                            Last edited by statikcat; 04-26-2012, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Of course excess carbs turn to fat. That is pretty much PB 101. In the year 2012 it really is high time that people accept that fat doesn't make you fat. Wtf is this, the year 1987?

Last year I ran across this lady who says she has eaten a lb of butter a week for 15 years:
                              Nancy Deville | Author of Healthy, Sexy, Happy, Death by Supermarket, and Karma

She eats grains but no eating a lot of butter does not seem to have harmed her.

Comment

Of course excess carbs turn to fat. That is pretty much PB 101. In the year 2012 it really is high time that people accept that fat doesn't make you fat. Wtf is this, the year 1987?

Last year I ran across this lady who says she has eaten a lb of butter a week for 15 years:
                                Nancy Deville | Author of Healthy, Sexy, Happy, Death by Supermarket, and Karma

She eats grains but no eating a lot of butter does not seem to have harmed her.

Comment

Working...
                                X