Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canned anchovies and BPA? (Relates to preggo cravings)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canned anchovies and BPA? (Relates to preggo cravings)

So I posted recently that I've had pretty bad pregnancy related nausea and pretty strong food aversions. Oddly enough, the other day I suddenly had an onset of anchovy cravings - specifically rolled anchovies with capers. My family was pretty surprised since anchovies are clearly pungent so not really something you'd expect a nauseous pregnant woman to crave.

Anyway, the only rolled anchovies I've ever come across are canned. And obviously I'm worried about BPA. Does anyone know where I can buy these bottled?

Have you thought about pickled herring (or rolmops)? It comes in glass jars. Don't know about anchovies in glass.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Anchovies are how I figured out I was pregnant with my son. I was getting a late snack and walking up the stairs, looked at my plate and saw anchovies, bing cherries and feta cheese. I nearly dropped the plate! Who would eat that combo other than a pregnant woman LOL!

Anyways, we have them in glass up here but usually only in specialty stores like butchers, sandwich shops, ethnic shops.

Comment

Originally posted by shema View Post
        Anyway, the only rolled anchovies I've ever come across are canned. And obviously I'm worried about BPA. Does anyone know where I can buy these bottled?

Sure. Wegmans up the road from me sells 'em in jars. But since I don't know where you are, I have no way of knowing if that's useful information to you.

If you want to satisfy a craving the BPA from one can of sardines is negligible. Just eat 'em.
        carl's cave

Comment

Oh goody! I have a Wegman's by me! I don't go there that often but now I know to look for bottled anchovies there. Are they the rolled type? Do I find the in the aisle where they have other canned fish??

@bionicsamm: LOL! Yes! Anchovies are not something I normally seek out! Makes me wonder what our pregnant bodies are craving that drives us to anchovies of all things!

Comment

I think they are near the other canned fish. If not, check in the international aisles. Failing that, just ask somebody. I don't recall if the ones i've seen were rolled.
            carl's cave

Comment

Working...
            X