Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Fats?

Hi everyone,

I am two weeks into PB, and doing pretty well so far (yesterday was my first break frome it - literally have had no processed carbs until yesterday, which is great for me, and it has reinforced my desire to keep on -not slide as I would in the past!).

Anyway, the first week I lost 5 pounds, which was unexpected, but I was happy. I weigh anywhere in the mid-140s range (I am one of those people whose weight fluctuates GREATLY and regularly), am 5' 4" tall, and a 33 year old female. By conventional standards (meaning not accounting for the weight gain that comes with lean muscle) I could stand to lose at least 15 pounds. So quite honestly, I don't know what I should weigh, nor should I care, I realize, which is a hard CW hurdle to overcome (right ladies??).

I noticed I gained a few pounds yesterday (prior to my processed carbs) and I was a little, well, deflated. This might be a mental battle, because I do feel better, and I do notice my clothes feel a bit better on my body, however, now I am getting concerned about the amount of fat I am eating. This is because my brain is battling over the low fat vs. moderate fat (CW vs. PB). Can anyone give me some reinforcement about what fat does for your body, and perhaps a guideline on how much? Most of the fat I eat comes in the form of almonds, almond butter, and some coconut manna. A few spoonfuls or handfuls probably 5 days of the week. Is this too much?

Also, I have started bikeriding again, so I am not being completely sedentary.

Can anyone give me some friendly pointers?

Thanks!!!

Originally posted by bombie78 View Post
    Most of the fat I eat comes in the form of almonds, almond butter, and some coconut manna. A few spoonfuls or handfuls probably 5 days of the week. Is this too much?
    Are you vegetarian? If not Id suggest cutting back on nut fats and eat animal fats. Bacon is perfect - high fat low carb good protein source and readily available. Fatty steaks and pork are excellent!
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Comment

I am not vegetarian (there is no way I could live without meat!). But now that you say that, I probably have been eating more lean meats - out of habit, I'm sure. I'm having a hard time getting used to the fact that I can have a thigh - with the skin on!

Thanks for the suggestion. I think partly the nuts and coconut are my sweet tooth coming out.... I'm not always sure what I should snack on.

Comment

About half your daily calories from fat is a decent amount, not too much, not too little. Favor the fats from animals over plants and if you can swing it, from grass-fed or pasture-raised animals (i.e. healthy animals) or cold water fish. Their fat will have higher omega 3 to omega 6 ratios which will relieve systemic inflammation and make you feel satisfied so you naturally eat less overall. Good luck.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

[QUOTE=bombie78;804204 I'm having a hard time getting used to the fact that I can have a thigh - with the skin on! [/QUOTE]

That takes quite a bit of getting used to! If your anything like me Ive been eating low fat, low calorie food for years and to then putting cream in my coffee and frying bacon seems totally wrong! My brain is shouting NOOO!!!! but my tummy is shouting YESSSSS!!!
          You will get used to that in time and then have the opposite problem like me and eating too much fat! LOL

Comment

Yes, I had berries with cream the other day and felt completely decadent! My husband was looking at me like, "oh yeah, heavy whipping cream - THAT'S really healthy!!!" - obviously he still subscribes to Conventional Wisdom!

Comment

Eat more animal fats and less nuts and plant fats. And throw your scale away. I swear, if I owned a scale it would be horrible, I know I would probably weigh every day and stress over two lbs of water weight that I gained from the day before. A much better way is to take your measurements and then take them again in four weeks or so. Much better indicator of your fat loss, IMO.

Comment

take it easy on the nuts, and read what mark has to say about saturated fat - hint: it's good shite.

somebody above said, "Bacon is perfect - high fat low carb good protein source and readily available." bacon sucks, the stuff you buy in the store is bottom of the barrel gutter meat. limit it.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                  somebody above said, "Bacon is perfect - high fat low carb good protein source and readily available." bacon sucks, the stuff you buy in the store is bottom of the barrel gutter meat. limit it.
                  That somebody was me, and in defence I didn't say buy the worst type of barrel scrapings. Many butchers have very good quality and nitrate free bacon that is far from 'gutter meat'. But like many of us, we an only buy what we can afford.
                  If you find a good bacon supplier I still hold to my quote that it is low carb, high fat and good protein source!
                  So there! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Rattybag View Post
                    That somebody was me, and in defence I didn't say buy the worst type of barrel scrapings. Many butchers have very good quality and nitrate free bacon that is far from 'gutter meat'. But like many of us, we an only buy what we can afford.
                    If you find a good bacon supplier I still hold to my quote that it is low carb, high fat and good protein source!
                    So there! LOL
                    second-to-worst fatty acid profile, sugar cured PUFA. bacon is not perfect, this is not atkins.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                      second-to-worst fatty acid profile, sugar cured PUFA. bacon is not perfect, this is not atkins.
                      That's why I don't do any curing, whatsoever. Skip the notion of bacon; and onto straight up pork belly/butt. And to say that about Atkins is wrong. Atkins was totally against frankenfoods. Granted, he wasn't as meticulous, as many are nowadays, about fatty acid profile.
                      If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Just to make a few of what ought to be obvious points, but points that have been buried by decades of anti fat propaganda:
                        1. Your body preferrentially stores excess energy as saturated fats.
                        2. Every single cell in your body has a membrane that is largely comprised of fat, the phospholipid bilayer.
                        3. Half of the dry weight of muscle cells is due to fat, with the other being protein ( this is closely related to point 2 above )
                        4. When you take into account the fat that comprises various cellular organelles, your body is approximately 65% fat in terms of dry mass.
                        5. When you stop eating, it is your fat that is keeping you alive.

Given point #1, it is surprising that there is not one single credible hypothesis that explains why our metabolisms would have evolved to store energy in the form of a metabolic poison ( i.e. fat ).

Given points #2, #3, and #4, it is critical for you to ingest sufficient ( and quite large ) amounts of fat to maintain health.

When you fast ( point #5 ) your "diet" consists essentially of 100% adipose fat after the first day when you've run through your available glycogen stores.

There are definitely dangerous fats, and these are the polyunsaturated fats ... seed oils. If you limit your intake of seed oils, and stick mostly to saturated fats, and monounsaturated, you should be fine.

-PK
                        My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

Butter raises the metabolism. The reason so many people can't lose weight is that they don't eat anywhere near enough fat.

Comment

Bacon is a good gateway meat/fat. Even if it's not the best bacon, it helps you get over your fear. Eventually you will tire of it and move on to better stuff. I went hog-wild on the fats at the beginning, like a prisoner set free. After a couple weeks I was like bleh, enough of that. I still eat my chicken skin and put butter on my potatoes but I'm not putting butter on my butter on my bacon anymore.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I've been primal for 7 months and I have lost 47 lbs. 45 year old dude, 274 to 227. It took about a month or two before I really embraced the fats and started eating lots of animal fat in every meal. Early on I ate chicken, turkey, lean pork, beef jerky and other low fat meats. I began to notice that when I ate bacon, beef, pork butt, sausage, eggs, yogurt, full fat milk I felt better. Now I don't eat any lean meat ever. I eat plenty of fat every time I eat. I also eat avocados and almonds for non-meat/dairy fat sources. We cook everything in bacon fat, hamburgers, eggs, re-heat brisket, sausage, sweet potato fries, everything!

As for bacon, there is no more controversial subject, here or in the outside world. My family of four eats at least 8-10 lbs of Whole Foods 365 apple wood smoked bacon every single week. And we have the entire 7 months we have been primal. Along with 3-4 gallons of raw whole milk, 3-4 dozen pastured eggs and lbs and lbs and lbs of grass fed beef and pasture raised pork. Our house is meat fest all the time, 24/7. And to think I was seriously considering not eating red meat anymore right before we went primal. Glad I found primal instead!!

Comment

Working...
                              X