Ketosis breath

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ketosis breath

I'm just wondering about people's experience with bad breath on ketosis. Is it really as bad as I've been reading about? I've cut down a lot of carbs although I'm not sure that they are low enough to go into ketosis, but to be honest I think having permanent bad breath would be enough to prevent me from doing so.

Is this something that goes away or is it just something you have to face on a very low-carb diet? And if you don't have it, does it mean you're not in ketosis?

Thanks for the information,

Brian

It passes. Stick it out. Don't worry about whether you're in ketosis or not too.

Comment

My wife has noticed my "Keto-breath" frequently for the past month. Does it really go away?

Comment

Yes even I had keto-breath and I always used to wonder how strong it is for the next person. I think it goes away !

Comment

I don't know about my breath but I do have a strange...sweet flavor in my mouth when I'm in ketosis. I'm not sure sweet describes it accurately but it's as close as I can come up with. Drinking A LOT (1.5 gallons/day) of water seems to help.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Comment

I noticed keto-breath for the first time today. That's because it was the first time I didn't have a huge class of water and brush my teeth first thing in the morning. I went about 3 hours without any food or water after waking up. It's really not that bad... All I have to do is brush my teeth and it's gone.

March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
            Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Comment

my breath always smells like bacon...i get whiffs and it makes me hungry again. People say I smell like breakfast all the time. hahaha

Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

LOL...the perfect woman is one that always smells like bacon!

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Does ketosis really do that, or is it the increase in meat consumption? Often, when people switch to low carb diets, they increase their meat intake. This results in a lot of meat particles between teeth which can cause very bad breath if you do not floss often.

Comment

Grok no floss!

www.primalfreedom.blogspot.com

If a man has the right to self-ownership, to the control of his life, then in the real world he must also have the right to sustain his life by grappling with and transforming resources; he must be able to own the ground and the resources on which he stands and which he must use. In short, to sustain his human right. - Murray Rothbard

Comment

ketosis doesn't cause bad breath - it causes ketosis breath. It's different (somewhat sweet) than the bad breath associated with food particles in teeth or, more likely, odor from the back of the tongue.

Comment

John, ketobreath has nothing to do with meat particles rotting in your mouth.

Respiration is one way to eliminate ketonic corps out of your system, along with perspiration and urine.

It's not directly determined by the meat intake, but the lack of carbs. Someone that does ketosis will learn in time how to control it, by controlling the amount of fat the person eats.

The balance is reached when you learned how much fat is just enough for you. if it's way to much, keto breath appears and urine and perspiration specific smell, because our body has no capabilities to store the ketonic corps (just limited store compared to the carbs > fat process). It's ideal to stay up at the upper threshold of the ketosis, so acetone smell is limited. You can check your status with ketostix.

Keep ketonic level to "traces" and there is no smell at all.

Comment

If anything since switching primal I get less stuck in my teeth. I find I get less out with my floss.

@Lovestoclimb: Yes, i believe the ode de bacon will be the next big perfume once primal goes mainstream

Comment

Athena, a mainstream primal isn't sustainable. That's why grains were introduced in the first place. To feed mainstream!

Primal and Paleo are privileged!

Comment

True Micheal A, unless we find out how to raise cows in space....

Comment

Working...
                              X