Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal ways to deal with severe allergies?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal ways to deal with severe allergies?

Any thoughts on how to heal severe allergic post-nasal-drip the Primal way, not sure if it’s an allergic rhinitis? Basically I don’t have watery eyes and running nose, but severe allergic post-nasal-drip that just turned into a 8 day cold (inflamed my throat), which I am still fighting. Being outdoors makes it significantly worse. I have been following a strictly Paleo diet for about a year now and am loving it. I have not been sick for a very long time, although did have a bad mold allergy, which I healed by December 2011 – wonder if that contributed to the current seasonal allergies?
    With such severe allergic reaction, I am considering a 10-day water fast with Psyllium husks to reboot my system. What are your thoughts on that? any other alternatives?

Have you tried including some local raw honey in your daily diet?
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

for immediate relief i think that "tiger's throat coat" by herbal medicinals (it's a "kids tea" with a picture of a tiger on it) is really great. might calm the post-nasal drip itchiness and it's totally primal- a bunch of herbs + hot water!
      Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
      Friend me on "The Facebook"
      Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

Originally posted by tradawg View Post
        Have you tried including some local raw honey in your daily diet?
        Start with this...If you have other chronic allergies they are likely due to a variety of other stressers that range from gut dysbiosis, autoimmune, emotional stress, biomechanical stress. Taking care of any or all of these causes may help.

Comment

I just found out that InterFase Plus is helpful with postnasal drip, will try it with Xclear Xylitol nasal spray

Comment

Perhaps you could try a Neti pot?
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by Damiana View Post
              Perhaps you could try a Neti pot?
              I agree.
              It gets the irritants out of your sinus cavity and cleans everything up with a good salt flush.

Just be sure and use safe practices if you go this route. Always either boil the water you will use first and then allow it to cool covered, or use bottled distilled water.
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Neti pots don't do jack for me, but maybe I never tried them for long enough consistently. I've had chronic post nasal drip for close to a year now with the absurd pollen count we've had going on, even throughout the winter. I spoke with an allergist recently who said that treating your allergies might not help with PND because so many things can affect your sinuses. I am going to be trying raw local honey to improve allergies, but am having a hard time finding some (farmer's market doesn't start till June) that I'm sure has pollen and such in it.

If you can afford it and it's really that bad, you might consider getting allergy testing and shots. I'm currently taking nasal steroids (Flonase) and Zytrec to manage my allergies for the next month, then I get re-tested. My allergist just wants to see if my responses are diminished after being "treated" for an extended period. I am going to call my insurance to find out about shot coverage though, because I'd really like to not take steroids in my nose!
                Depression Lies

Comment

I had this happen this year too--sudden onset of allergic reaction w/ PND. And then it turned into a dry cough that irritated the living heck out of my throat and kept the neighbors up! It took a month to heal. The neti pot at night, right before bed seemed to clear the days irritants away.

When the cough settled deeply in my lungs, I used this tincture; Deep Lung:
                  WishGarden Herbs :: Products

And also, did a steam at night with fresh Sage leaves and Eucalyptus leaves purchased from my nice flower lady. They are supposed to be good anti-bac for the lungs and did seem to really help the drip prior to bedtime.

Also read that Nettles, either steamed & eaten from fresh plant OR taken as a supplement, has great success with allergy inflam.

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

Namelesswonder.. Whole foods here sells raw local honey (from VT, I live in MA but its very similar). I bought some 2 weeks ago. When I first started eating it I got a tingly feeling... so it def had the allergens in it. I can tell dramatically on the days that I eat a tbls and the days I do not. I now no longer get that tingly feeling either when I eat it. I'm doing much better in the allergy department this spring.
                    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Helminthic therapy.

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
                        Namelesswonder.. Whole foods here sells raw local honey (from VT, I live in MA but its very similar). I bought some 2 weeks ago. When I first started eating it I got a tingly feeling... so it def had the allergens in it. I can tell dramatically on the days that I eat a tbls and the days I do not. I now no longer get that tingly feeling either when I eat it. I'm doing much better in the allergy department this spring.
                        I have seen some at the WF in Fresh Pond (Cambridge). Which brand are you getting? I think I know that tingly feeling you are talking about. I have some raw local honey, but it does not appear to have anything in it (got it at Wilson's Farm in Lexington, first time I got it was with wax & bee bits and stuff visible, this time it's clear), so I wasn't sure it was working. I haven't been consistent about "taking" it. I'll probably finish off what I have with a tablespoon in the AM and then try another brand.
                        Depression Lies

Comment

I have had this same problem for a while, the Paleo diet has helped a lot. Here's some others things which seem to help me:

- I also cut out sources of sulphites, such as vinegar, mayo, tinned foods, shellfish, wine, cider (cider used to be my fave drink *cries*). Nasal sprays sometimes have sulphites in, I stopped using them too!
                          - I do eat some dairy but avoid having a lot at once, and I don't drink milk. I used to drink a glass milk before bed and it caused a double horror of post-nasal drip + reflux!
                          - Herbal teas are great, esp with a spoonful of honey. Nettle is good, and coltsfoot leaf has a more dramatic effect of improving my breathing although it shouldn't be used excessively.
                          - I reduced dust and mildew in my home, and cover my mouth and nose with a thick bandana whenever I'm doing a major household cleaning session. I also keep a window open during most of the day. You might want to try a humidifier/dehumidifier/different AC settings if you don't have a favourable climate to work with.
                          - Getting outdoors more may or may not help you, depending on your local climate. It helps me as I am lucky to live by the sea and the salty air is great. A hot humid shower, or inhaling over a bowl of salty boiled water, can be just as helpful.

I've stopped the drip, but my nose is often bunged up so I will keep looking for ways to heal my sinuses. For example I haven't had any of my guilty pleasure - diet cola today, as I'm sure the nasty chemicals in it could be affecting my sinuses (on top of all the other damage they do!).

I suspect that psychology could have something to do with chronic rhinitis too. Even on days when I'm not too bad, sometimes I find myself coughing for no reason, blowing my nose obsessively, rubbing my eyes - bringing back some allergy symptoms simply by needlessly irritating the healing tissues. I am going to try some stress reduction techniques such as doing meditative activities, to see if I can stop these habits.
                          Start weight: 238 lbs (March 2012)
                          Current weight: 205 lbs (July 2012)
                          Loss so far: 33 lbs!!!
                          WOE: Primal + IF
                          Movements: Hiking, sprinting.
                          Goal: to see my abs some time in 2013!

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                            I have seen some at the WF in Fresh Pond (Cambridge). Which brand are you getting? I think I know that tingly feeling you are talking about. I have some raw local honey, but it does not appear to have anything in it (got it at Wilson's Farm in Lexington, first time I got it was with wax & bee bits and stuff visible, this time it's clear), so I wasn't sure it was working. I haven't been consistent about "taking" it. I'll probably finish off what I have with a tablespoon in the AM and then try another brand.
                            Wait a minute how come I never noticed you live right here in MASS?? Gosh I go to the whole foods in Dedham. I'll check the brand when I get home. We should get together

I know its def not clear, and its lighter and more solid then refined for sure.
                            Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

I'll take a picture of mine and put it in my journal, it's fairly dark amber, but not cloudy or more solid. It's raw and local, but I think it's too refined?
                              Depression Lies

Comment

Working...
                              X