Costco Sweet Potato Chips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costco Sweet Potato Chips

OK, so I know they are not an un-processed food, but does anyone else consume these instead of making them? They seem reasonable for being about as natural as possible. Just wanted to see what others thought.

Keith

I'm trying to remember why I passed them up; weren't they coated with canola oil or something like that?

Comment

They remind me of this woman in Costco that was buying boxes of their seaweed talking about how healthy it is. The stuff is covered in vegetable oil. <Facepalm>

Comment

so i dont know how they are cooked off the top pf my head, but the ingrediants just say sweet potatoes, and sea salt... i think.

Comment

If you're talking about the Terra brand, the ingredients are: Sweet Potato, Canola Oil and/or Safflower Oil and/or Sunflower Oil, Salt, Spices, Cane Sugar, Garlic Powder.

Total fail, sadly.

Comment

No not the Terra brand. Its the Food Should Taste Good brand. Ingredients are Sweet potatoes, Sunflower Oil and Sea Salt. They are kettle cooked, but even still if they are in sunflower oil, it should still be OK right?

IMAG0211.jpgIMAG0210.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mhtyfman View Post
              No not the Terra brand. Its the Food Should Taste Good brand. Ingredients are Sweet potatoes, Sunflower Oil and Sea Salt. They are kettle cooked, but even still if they are in sunflower oil, it should still be OK right?

[ATTACH]7020[/ATTACH][ATTACH]7021[/ATTACH]
              Sunflower oil has so many n-6 pufas. Same thing as the vegetable oil when you heat it up, imo.
              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Unless you're just uber-hardcore, (congrats!) just eat them. There are worse things in the world.
                "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace by those who have been trained by it."

HT: 6' 2"
                Peak Wt: 303lbs- Nov 1st 2011
                Current Wt: 240lbs- Sep 1st 2012

Comment

Thats knida what I thought Matt... As you can see they were in my cart!

Comment

Originally posted by mattrogers55 View Post
                    Unless you're just uber-hardcore, (congrats!) just eat them. There are worse things in the world.
                    Actually some of us think consuming PUFA is worse then consuming grains.. especially if its something you are eating OFTEN. If its an occasional treat, then go for it! But remember to think of it as such.
                    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
                      Actually some of us think consuming PUFA is worse then consuming grains.. especially if its something you are eating OFTEN. If its an occasional treat, then go for it! But remember to think of it as such.
                      This.

Get a small deep fryer (we got th Mini one from Cuisinart) and fill it with a good refined coconut oil. It is safe, versatile, and a WAY better oil than anything else... except Virgin CO, which you can still use regularly for other things. Don't worry about the cost of the oil... It honestly never needs changing, it seems, being saturated. It needs a good filtering through cheese cloth now and again, but from what I can tell it will last just about forever.

Use a good peeler to make chips, and fry. Amazing.
                      5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Comment

I buy organic palm shortening from Tropical Traditions by the gallon (actually it's a 112 oz. bucket, not sure why they tell you it's a gallon) for both shallow- and deep-frying. I don't strain it, I just throw it out when it doesn't smell and look fresh. I'll reuse it a couple times in the deep fryer, but just once in a pan.

It doesn't have quite as good a nutritional profile as some of the more costly oils, but it beats the heck out of Sunflower, Soybean, Safflower, Canola, etc... and I don't think twice about cooking in it, (although it's not an every day thing. I sautee in butter and/or coconut oil pretty much daily) whereas I won't eat anything deep-fried elsewhere for the oxidized PUFA and n-6 content inherent in whatever oils they use.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                        X