Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there such a thing as "starvation mode"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is there such a thing as "starvation mode"?

    If so, when/how does this occur?

  • #2
    I think I've read around 72 hrs of reduced calories.

    Comment


    • #3
      Any chronic low-calorie diet.
      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
        Any chronic low-calorie diet.
        What if you eat less than you need for multiple days and eat back your deficit back in 2-3 days on a regular basis?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Whatyoudoing View Post
          What if you eat less than you need for multiple days and eat back your deficit back in 2-3 days on a regular basis?
          That's a good way of fooling your body that it's in a fed state, so it's not a chronic low-calorie diet.

          I'm only in deficit about 2 days a week now, and losing about a lb a month. I'm currently upping my exercise to increase the deficit on 3-4 days a week which I expect will cause weight loss to rise to 2-4 lbs a week. Hard to say as I only have about 15 lbs left to lose now.

          The number of days a week you need to be in deficit depends on what your goals are.
          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
            That's a good way of fooling your body that it's in a fed state, so it's not a chronic low-calorie diet.

            I'm only in deficit about 2 days a week now, and losing about a lb a month. I'm currently upping my exercise to increase the deficit on 3-4 days a week which I expect will cause weight loss to rise to 2-4 lbs a week. Hard to say as I only have about 15 lbs left to lose now.


            The number of days a week you need to be in deficit depends on what your goals are.
            Actually my goal is to maintain weight but during the week I don't have much time to cook etc and I refuse to eat crap so I'm not eating enough on those days, In the weekend I'll be super hungry and eat it all back

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Whatyoudoing View Post
              Actually my goal is to maintain weight but during the week I don't have much time to cook etc and I refuse to eat crap so I'm not eating enough on those days, In the weekend I'll be super hungry and eat it all back
              Sounds like that could work well for you.
              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

              Comment


              • #8
                Starvation mode is where you are actually starving. If you just skip a meal now and then, that is not starving. There are hormonal things that happen to you when you skip meals that can actually help you. So you are way better off having an intermittent calorie deficit than a chronic, long-term one, as a chronic long-term one is actual starvation.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I was at the dr.'s office yesterday, talking with an RN about intermittent fasting. She just could not comprehend that your body doesn't go into "starvation mode" if you skip a meal here & there, unless you're already starving yourself by eating low-calorie, low-fat for a long time.


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PrimalPotter View Post
                    I was at the dr.'s office yesterday, talking with an RN about intermittent fasting. She just could not comprehend that your body doesn't go into "starvation mode" if you skip a meal here & there, unless you're already starving yourself by eating low-calorie, low-fat for a long time.
                    Wow, that's sad. It's pretty simple. "Starvation mode" is when you don't eat enough over the long run to keep up with your body's needs.

                    Skipping a meal is just... life.
                    Durp.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This is based on my observation and I have no research to back it up but I think this is how it works in terms of diets (I'm not talking about skipping meals here). When you first lower your food intake you will lose weight until your metabolism drops to meet your new calorie intake. In a novice dieter this can take some time and will allow a significant weight loss before a stall. Unfortunately, as we all know by now, dieting has a 95% failure rate so that person will gain weight in due course.

                      When the body increases its food intake the metabolism will rise to accommodate it but, crucially, it will not do this immediately because it has to ensure that the extra food is available over the long term. So when you start eating more food, initially your metabolism is slower and you gain weight until it speeds up again and you maintain at your new higher weight. Do this a few times and your body becomes really smart. As soon as you drop your food intake, instead of a delay like the first time you did this, your body responds instantly by lowering its metabolism because it knows what's coming. When you start eating again the body delays increasing your metabolism longer and longer the more you yo yo diet. Your metabolism is working perfectly in response to food intake. It's just that you are not feeding it enough to stay high all the time.

                      This is where people like Matt Stone and Dr Schwarzbein are coming from when they recommend re-feeding to boost the metabolism, thyroid and adrenals. I'm not a fan of Matt but Dr Schwarzbein's books are worth a read. Problem is, that for many who are existing on low calorie diets and not losing weight their approach will lead to initial weight gain which is not a pleasant thought.

                      The above is probably a bit simplistic. Schwarzbein says that dieting (low fat and very low carb) can lead to crashed thyroid and adrenals which also hinder weight loss. It's a complex picture.
                      My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Starvation Mode Why You Probably Never Need to Worry About It | Fitness Black Book

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You can slow down your metabolism by eating too little protein. This will undermine attempts to lose weight. You still need a calorie deficit to lose weight of course, but that deficit is much easier to achieve if you maintain protein intake to sufficiency and reduce either or both carb and fat intake
                          Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

                          Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                            Wow, that's sad. It's pretty simple. "Starvation mode" is when you don't eat enough over the long run to keep up with your body's needs.

                            Skipping a meal is just... life.
                            I eat too little flr 5 days + A 24 hour fast, then "binge" eat in the weekends (I don't really wanna call it binging because it's healthy and controlled)
                            These 5 days aren't considered long-term right?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yes... but not when most people think...
                              http://www.med.upenn.edu/timm/docume...8-9Lazar-1.pdf

                              If you're gluconeogensis has a renal source, you may be in starvation mode....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X