Tomato Paste and Plastic Lined Cans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato Paste and Plastic Lined Cans

I find a lot of "primal" recipes that use tomato paste.

However, I am surprised that tomato paste is even suggested since most of it comes in cans lined with plastic. I don't buy tinned food for that reason, even organic (kind of defeats the purpose of organic to then go adding a bunch of BPA - or some other chemical substitute "they say" is safe - to the food).

So aside from telling me to make it myself (I am in the middle of writing a thesis, but I still need to eat), are there any other options for thick, thick tomato? Ideas?
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

I buy italian organic tomato sauce/paste/puree that comes in glass bottles, then heat it in a saucepan and it thickens a bit.

Comment

Yup. Buy one in a glass jar.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Me too. I buy paste in a bottle.
        Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

I've never seen it in a glass jar...i suppose my small town is too small for that...
          Alright thanks anyway.
          Female, age 51, 5' 9"
          SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
          2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Originally posted by jojohaligo View Post
            I've never seen it in a glass jar...i suppose my small town is too small for that...
            Alright thanks anyway.
            Buying fresh tomatoes and cooking them down into a sauce is also an option - albeit a slightly more time-consuming one.

Comment

Just saw Italian Plum tomatoes being offered in a carton rather than just the typical can for the first time at my local mainstream supermarket. So perhaps the market for BPA free products is starting to reach the tipping point?

Comment

I doubt that, there are still millions of cans being produced everyday everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                X