No announcement yet.

Is white bread better than whole grain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is white bread better than whole grain?

I'm not planning on eating any of the 2 but I was just wondering, because isn't white bread basically grains with the toxins stripped off?

Well, it's bleached, stripped of minerals, and then "fortified" with all the stuff that got stripped out. "Enriched, Bleached White Flour" is pretty bad stuff.

Comment

yup those who eat white bread are often healthier than the health nuts who eat wholegrain

we've found the third way
      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
        yup those who eat white bread are often healthier than the health nuts who eat wholegrain

we've found the third way
        but then some health nuts eat sprouted grain? which is a lot better than the other two?
        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
          but then some health nuts eat sprouted grain? which is a lot better than the other two?
          Quite probably true!
          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I'd guess it goes: none > sprouted > white > whole. But I always thought sprouted grains had a nasty texture, like eating food intended for a different species. I thought that long before I was ever primal.
            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I've not bothered trying sprouted grains, to be honest.

Comment

I'd throw fermented in there as better than sprouted and worse than none, but both are just too much work for what? Nothing really gained from adding it back in.

Comment

I agree, too much work. Traditional methods for making white bread left the dough to ferment.

Comment

The people in these photographs moved from their traditional diets to diets containing milled flour, jam and white sugar. You decide if the result was healthy enough to even ask whether white bread is better than whole grain.

Nutrition and Physical Degeneration
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

My grandfathers are 94 and 89 and eat white bread in moderation, but have never eaten wholegrain bread.

So they've done OK. That still doesn't persuade me to eat white bread. Am gluten intolerant, so it would have to be gluten-free white bread for me.

ETA: if my grandfathers asked me 'Should I switch to wholegrain?' I would say no.
                      Last edited by paleo-bunny; 04-20-2012, 09:18 AM. Reason: ETA

Comment

You are kind of trading one bad thing off for another? Wouldn't white bread contribute to high blood sugar more? Look at a glycemic index chart. Whole grain bread is a slower burner.. and less processed? Should it not be more healthy. You can argue the bran has anti nutrient properties.. but the bran has over 20 nutrients more than the white bread. Would it really count as an overall loss or still a gain in nutrients?
                        Last edited by statikcat; 04-20-2012, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Along the same lines.. would it be healthier to consume a tsp of arsenic each day or a tsp of strychnine?
                          "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

Comment

Originally posted by statikcat View Post
                            You are kind of trading one bad thing off for another? Wouldn't white bread contribute to high blood sugar more? Look at a glycemic index chart. Whole grain bread is a slower burner.. and less processed? Should it not be more healthy. You can argue the bran has anti nutrient properties.. but the bran has over 20 nutrients more than the white bread. Would it really count as an overall loss or still a gain in nutrients?
                            Can anyone elaborate on this? I don't see why over processed white bread is considered healthier (or less unhealthy..) than multi-grain or sprouted whole grain by some people here.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                              My grandfathers are 94 and 89 and eat white bread in moderation,
                              I bet the majority of that bread was home made or something very close. If you have not already done so eveyone should go check the ingredients of store bought bread, for such a simple recipe there is a whole load of crap in there.
                              Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                              PS
                              Don't forget to play!

Comment

Working...
                              X