Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on this to replace Diet Coke habit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this to replace Diet Coke habit?

Hi Everyone-

I'm preparing to clear the house out of diet coke tomorrow- having my last one today. This may be the hardest part for me.... but my question is- do you think replacing it with Pelligrino sparkling water is ok at first until I'm happy with plain water or should I just got rid of all the bubbly drinks for good?

Thanks!

Michelle
    [SIGPIC] Michelle

Started PB 4/20/12 at 5'5" and 168.5 lbs

4/30/12: 162.7

Yes, I have had a good success on breaking diet soda and chewing gum habit with first drinking club soda with lemon or lime, and then just water. I also started shopping for a huge variety of various herbal teas (just browse shelves in the store a few times a week), and tried a new variety every day or so to keep my mind off sodas & gum. Hope that helps!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Thanks Leida! My orange creme dessert sugarfree gum is going to be painful but the diet coke part beats that by a mile! :-)
      [SIGPIC] Michelle

Comment

nothing wrong with bubbly drink, especially the naturally carbonated mineral water with naturally occurring minerals, i drink Gerolsteiner all the time

Comment

No problems, glad to help. A word of hope: it turned out a relatively easy habit to break. I was half a pack of gum a day, and a half liter bottle of diet soda (normally Dr. pepper or Cranberry pop). But, yeah, I dropped both relatively easy, and did not return. In fact a couple of times I did have soda since January 1st when i officially dropped it, I thought it tasted like crap. Hard things to drop for me are fruits, i keep failing back again and again....
          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by lardomuncher View Post
            nothing wrong with bubbly drink, especially the naturally carbonated mineral water with naturally occurring minerals, i drink Gerolsteiner all the time
            Totally agree. We get through 8-10 x 1.25l bottles per week.
            Odille
            F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
            following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Comment

If you feel a relapse coming go for this instead The Original Stevia Sweetened, Zero Calorie Soda | Zevia

Really though once you simply stop drinking it the craving will go away so hang in there.

Comment

Originally posted by statikcat View Post
                If you feel a relapse coming go for this instead The Original Stevia Sweetened, Zero Calorie Soda | Zevia

Really though once you simply stop drinking it the craving will go away so hang in there.
                That stuff is amazing. LOVEEEE It, but I can't find it in Alabama, sadly. Nonetheless, it's great for a treat or an occasional cheat.
                Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Comment

Thanks everyone- I really appreciate it! :-)
                  [SIGPIC] Michelle

Comment

Originally posted by trekfan View Post
                    That stuff is amazing. LOVEEEE It, but I can't find it in Alabama, sadly. Nonetheless, it's great for a treat or an occasional cheat.
                    Not sure where you're at in AL, but I know there's an Earth Fare in both Montgomery and Huntsville, maybe even Birmingham, and they stock Zevia.

Comment

Zevia is good but expensive. I buy their raspberry flavor occasionally as a treat.

My favorite is Polar flavored seltzer with liquid stevia to sweeten it. Vanilla is the best!

Comment

Whole Foods in Birmingham has it as well.

The stuff is ok, but in the end you're just swapping a cheap diet drink sweetened with artificial sweetener with another one (and the Stevia in Zevia is still chemically extracted). I haven't had a caffeinated/"fake" drink in over a month. Every so often I'll have a Steaz and I feel bad enough about that since I've never bothered to actually google that one. :P

Comment

Whatever it takes to wean you off Diet Coke is fine. Going straight to water may be too much of a leap.
                          I personally like seltzer water with stevia and a couple packets of True Lemon. I let it go flat for a day or so so it's not so harshly bubbly.
                          5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Congratulations on wanting to give diet Coke the boot. I was an addict for many years. I sipped diet Coke all day long, but only went through about 4 per day. I stopped cold turkey and started drinking water (a bit of lemon if you like) and also hot green tea. When I went to have my teeth cleaned, she said, "Your teeth are awfully clean this time. Much more clean than normal. What have you been doing differently?" --- Yep, dumping diet Coke and all aspertame is the only thing I did differently.

Maybe it's PB, but at the same time I dumped all aspertame, my sugar cravings disappeared. This is the first time in my life that I don't crave sweets all time.

You made the right decision. Just stick with it and you'll be glad you did.
                            Good luck!

PS I suggest to just drink other liquids to stop. Every now and then I get a craving for "carbonation" and will go for the sparkling water/club soda.

Comment

Working...
                            X