Berkhan on accepting responsibility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berkhan on accepting responsibility

Occam's Razor | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Every month or so I surf around his site and always find something great. The man knows what it takes to be lean and strong long term.

I'm posting this in hopes of helping one person on this page stop making excuses and reverse the damage you brought upon yourself.

-Voyageur

There is a huge difference between talking about how to do something and getting it fucking done.

I agree to a point. I don't know about other people, but for me eliminating certain food choices results in a reduction of appetite, better energy level and no mood swings that result in binging on sweets. It is a real thing. I track my calories and macros, and I have observed the same behavior over and over. It was documented in other women as well (for example, high carb low fat breakfast leading to a sweet binge at 2 to 4 pm). Responsibility is important, but studying your body responses to particular chemicals (and foods are chemicals) is important as well. Certain eliminations can make things easier, as well as the eating schedules. SOme people respond better to multiple meals, some do better on longer fasts. And it also changes depending on where you are in the fat loss progress. Knowledge is power, and the more you know about yourself, the easier the fat loss becomes, particulary if you want to walk the walk without the stimulants and supplements.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Thanks- such a good article and a reminder. It makes me stabby when I read that "fruit makes me fat" or "I'm fat because I run"... or "you can eat unlimited X if you avoid Y". We are all fat because we ate more than our body needed at some point in time. I do believe metabolisms vary- we all need different amounts of fuel... if ya need less, ya need less.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I also find it relieving that such a powerful fitness presence (Berkham) openly admits that it is hard to maintain a fit lifestyle, and that it can be fun to "sit on [his] butt and play videogames." Sometimes I see my friends engaged in a lifestyle like that, and it looks fun, and part of me thinks, "oh that would be so much simpler"... I wouldn't be happy. I would be out of shape. I would be very sick with allergies. But it would be easy. It's nice to know that everyone, even very fit people whom I admire, struggle with or have struggled with that too!
        Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
        Friend me on "The Facebook"
        Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

I thought it was stupid. Sorry. I can't get on board with this new paleo "all you fatties are fat because you are lazy sloths who eat too much" argument. It's bro-science he's selling.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

It was only a few hundred years ago folks were not getting on board with the "Earth is not flat" arguments either...
            http://stackingplates.com/

Comment

Originally posted by StackingPlates View Post
              It was only a few hundred years ago folks were not getting on board with the "Earth is not flat" arguments either...
              So clever....not.

Comment

I think there are a lot of similarities between that example and believing that Paleo principles are superior to the law of thermogenesis.

Comment

I think there are a lot of similarities between that example and believing that Paleo principles are superior to the law of thermogenesis.
                  Lol....are you serious? How many times does it have to be said. Nobody disputes any laws of thermodynamics. There is just a whole hell of a lot more to consider than calories in/calories out ESPECIALLY in body composition and health status. There really is no argument. You can change your BMR with the foods you eat. Hormonal reactions change how energy is utilized. That is the rub.

Comment

Sometimes I see my friends engaged in a lifestyle like that, and it looks fun, and part of me thinks, "oh that would be so much simpler"... I wouldn't be happy.
                    +1. Last week I caught myself envying fat people because they can eat a chocolate bar. Like a whole chocolate bar. Even a complete not good for you at all chocolate bar like Caramilk. They can eat a pastry... Just like that. All by themselves. In one sitting. And not even have a second fleeting thought about it.
                    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      I thought it was stupid. Sorry. I can't get on board with this new paleo "all you fatties are fat because you are lazy sloths who eat too much" argument. It's bro-science he's selling.
                      It kind of has to start that way though, right? Once your metabolism is broken though, that's when consuming less 'calories' via CW especially, and trying to 'spend more calories' becomes troublesome... but in the beginning, isn't that how people gain weight? eating too much, moving too little? I'm intimately aware of how foods paleos avoid 'cause' obesity or make it easier to hold on to weight, etc, but it does still go back to eating too much in general..

from the article: Grown men and women take responsibility for their lives and actions. They do not blame a life of excess on some trivial aspect of their diet. A diet that on the whole consisted of refined foods, rich in both carbs and fat, often combined with a sedentary lifestyle: that's how I got fat. I loved food and I liked to sit on my butt and play videogames. It was an enjoyable lifestyle and I had a lot of fun. I'm very typical in that regard. People get fat by giving in to pleasure in the form of food and entertainment. It's not more complicated than that. Be wary of anyone who tries to make you believe that it is.

He never says "you're fat even on a whole-foods diet because you're a sloth" he clearly is partially 'blaming' refined sugars, et al. for obesity, but he's also saying "we should be smarter than this" and change our diets accordingly.
                      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I can't get on board with this new paleo "all you fatties are fat because you are lazy sloths who eat too much" argument.
                        I don't think that is exactly the sentiment. There are very few people here who are fat that did not get that way by eating too much/moving too little. There are a few exceptions- which he accepts and admits. Most Americans are not fat because they eat bananas. Or because they are iodine deficient. Most are fat because they eat too much food. You can't eat SAD and lose weight because you take an iodine supp or don't eat a banana. And you can't expect to lose weight by eating unlimited amounts of fat because you cut carbs. Probably 90% of us gain weight because we eat to much and do too little. For that 90%, tweaks and supplements don't make much difference.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Actually, people never thought the earth was flat
                          That's a one of the first urban legends.

See
                          - the ancient greeks who calculated the earth's circumference
                          - Columbus, who was not afraid of falling off the earth
                          - Globus cruciger - held by kings of old, symbolizing the church's dominion over the, spherical, world

Myth of the Flat Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...just a side note :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                            Lol....are you serious? How many times does it have to be said. Nobody disputes any laws of thermodynamics. There is just a whole hell of a lot more to consider than calories in/calories out ESPECIALLY in body composition and health status. There really is no argument. You can change your BMR with the foods you eat. Hormonal reactions change how energy is utilized. That is the rub.
                            If you truly think that nobody disputes the laws of thermodynamics then read through more of the threads on these very boards. Some very scary ideas floating about...also, be careful with the "changing your BMR with the foods you eat" because you are approaching "metabolic advantage" territory...

Comment

Originally posted by Kai-man View Post
                              Actually, people never thought the earth was flat
                              That's a one of the first urban legends.

See
                              - the ancient greeks who calculated the earth's circumference
                              - Columbus, who was not afraid of falling off the earth
                              - Globus cruciger - held by kings of old, symbolizing the church's dominion over the, spherical, world

Myth of the Flat Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...just a side note :-)
                              Well played, Kai-man. I love it!

Comment

Working...
                              X