grain free

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grain free

I've done 21 days without grains which was hard back in the fall. Wondering what is the longest some of you have gone without grains; I think I cheat too often. In general, how often do you eat grains?

Every day. Mmm, oatmeal.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Rice, once a month. Every other grain, never.

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
        I've done 21 days without grains which was hard back in the fall. Wondering what is the longest some of you have gone without grains; I think I cheat too often. In general, how often do you eat grains?
        you've got to be f-ing kidding me. with all your absolutely crazy advice to people on here, and the carbs in winter = death bit, the longest you've been without grains is 21 days? and you cheat often? shocking.

stop worrying about what month you should be allowed to have a banana, and quit eating grains. unreal...

Comment

What Jakey said ^^^.
          And.....
          I've had grains once since Christmas... that was a bit of crust on cheese cake when celebrating a Birthday with family. If I had made it myself it would have been a nut crust because I prefer the flavor, But that has PUFAs sooo... it's a wash. And no big deal.

Grains are the easy part to avoid IMO. It really isn't a problem.
          Last edited by cori93437; 04-18-2012, 09:21 PM.
          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

+1 to jakey...that's crazy!

Comment

I ate a granola bar the other day, so I'm royally fucked now.

In all honesty, I don't bother tracking, it isn't worth my time. I just cut bread, pasta, and so on out of my regular diet and the number drops dramatically, so I'm not going to bother making note of the occasional bits here and there.
              Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
              CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

I tad a massive sugar craving tonight and cheated with, among other things, a bowlful of cereal, but it's my first bit of grain and refined sugar in over 2 weeks, and it's not going to kill me. I wouldn't sweat it. There's more to life than stressing over a bit of food when one's health is fine.
                F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Originally posted by @lex View Post
                  In all honesty, I don't bother tracking, it isn't worth my time. I just cut bread, pasta, and so on out of my regular diet and the number drops dramatically, so I'm not going to bother making note of the occasional bits here and there.
                  Ditto.

I've had small quantities (a few good quality cookies) every 10 days, maybe.

My biggest break from the diet was eating a pizza and a lot of bread over a short holiday -that had me feeling pretty bad for a few days, but a little bit every now and then is fine. I am healthy, not overweight and never get extreme reactions like "OMG the moment the oreo touched my tongue I fainted, threw up, and had explosive diarrhoea all over myself".

I know it can become a slippery slope, but I have been feeling and doing pretty well, and the reduction in my grain and sugar intake is probably still 50-fold.

Comment

The last time I remember was on our Valentine's day dinner (not counting rice which i eat on purpose after a workout). I do not personally find it challenging to avoid grains anymore. I don't count the days between when I have them... I dont obsess period. It's all just habit now.
                    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

About 11 months now without any grains apart from white rice. It's good.

ETA: I eat white rice about 5 days a week.
                      Last edited by paleo-bunny; 04-19-2012, 04:59 AM. Reason: ETA
                      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                        I've had white rice with sushi maybe once since I gave "grains" up completely, rice noodles once, and some B.S. gluten-free cookies or cupcakes with rice flour once or maybe twice. So maybe 4 times total in either 3 or 4 years. Call it 1x/year.

Sounds to me more like you eat grains regularly and cheat on that occasionally than the other way around.

EDIT: That's a lie. I've had 100% corn tortillas a handful of times. I'd say maximum 3-4x per year for corn and rice, 0x/year wheat/oats/barley. 21 days is still a joke.
                        Last edited by RichMahogany; 04-19-2012, 05:53 AM.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I can't eat grains, I get sick, I am 3 weeks ish with none, zip zero grains. I feel no need to start again though I do miss rice.
                          Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

I do my best to avoid grains entirely, but to be honest avoiding entirely is really hard, especially in small quantities. They pop up in the form of food additives (hello Tylenol, thank you for cutting your chewable medicines with corn-based dextrose.... uhm no), flavorings (that delicious chicken I had been consuming at whole foods was in fact coated in corn-based maltodextrin), and "binders"-rice maltodextrin was in my chromium picolinate, for example. I'm sure these are very marginal amounts of grains, but I wouldn't be truthful if I said that I can stay clear away from grains in all quantities. More, I try to figure out where they are lurking and find alternatives. But on a macroscopic scale, it's been a while since I've had a portion of grains. I can't say I actually remember the last time I endulged directly in grains, and it was probably about 9 mths ago that I knowingly ate processed meat products that included corn by products.
                            Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
                            Friend me on "The Facebook"
                            Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

I haven't eaten any wheat since last August or maybe September. I eat a little rice now and then and once in a while I'll have some corn (as the vegetable) and once in a while I will eat out at a taqueria and if I get 4 corn tortillas with my tacos I might eat part of one of them.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X