Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it I can eat butter but am lactose intolerant?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it I can eat butter but am lactose intolerant?

Milk makes me violently ill, coming and going as it were, How is it I can eat butter? How many Calories does butter have anyways?
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Butter has a lot of calories, but very little lactose. The amount of lactose depends on the processing, but clarified butter or ghee will have almost none. The butter making process separates the water from the fat, and the lactose remains with the water component.

Milk, on the other hand, contains a lot of lactose. It is found in human milk, cow's milk, goat's milk, sheep milk, in varying quantities. Oh yes, yak and buffalo too. Milk = lactose.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Butter has EXTREMELY minimal lactose (sugar) in it. Butter is made by seperating the butterfat from the buttermilk (where the lactose is).

You might to try incorporating Kefir (fermented milk). Try some raw goats milk kefir. Buy or find some Kefir grains on the net and ferment your own at home.

Ive been using it now for some time. Milk would normally have me break out with acne but kefir is HEALING my gut and gut flora and im like 95+% clear right now. Amazing stuff

Comment

in other words, the gods decreed that butter is the ambrosia of the gods and as such, shall be enjoyed aplenty
        beautiful
        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
        lol

Comment

Originally posted by Warmbear View Post
          How many Calories does butter have anyways?
          The perfect amount

Comment

It's possible you're not lactose intolerant, but allergic to the A1 beta-casein protein found in milk. If you can find a brand of milk that advertises A2, Jersey cows produce high A2 milk so you might want to look for that and give it a shot.

a2 Milk™ - About a2 Milk™

Comment

Now I realise semajor is may be a spam bot since their first post is linking to a site that sells something, but they have a good point.

Normal milk makes me violently ill but I have no issues whatsoever with A2 milk. I'm also fine with hard cheese and butter, but creams and yoghurt don't agree with me (haven't tried the A2 yoghurt yet)
              Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
              CW - 60kg / 132lb
              GW - 60kg / 132lb

Comment

I thought I was serioulsy lactose intolerant for about 10 years... then I switched to raw Jersey and Guernsey milk. Not a single problem since.
                I can't say 100% for sure if it was the processing/pasteurization, the Holstein A1 milk, or a combination of the two... but swapping fixed it. And I'm happy with the milk I drink as it's local, pastured grass, organic, and delicious.
                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                  I thought I was serioulsy lactose intolerant for about 10 years... then I switched to raw Jersey and Guernsey milk. Not a single problem since.
                  I can't say 100% for sure if it was the processing/pasteurization, the Holstein A1 milk, or a combination of the two... but swapping fixed it. And I'm happy with the milk I drink as it's local, pastured grass, organic, and delicious.
                  Yeah, I'm checking into raw this week. Gotta buy a "share" of the cow to keep it all legal where I live. Problem really is that I have gone without anything but butter, cream, and fermented dairy for so long it seems like a real hassle to reintroduce it. We shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                    Yeah, I'm checking into raw this week. Gotta buy a "share" of the cow to keep it all legal where I live. Problem really is that I have gone without anything but butter, cream, and fermented dairy for so long it seems like a real hassle to reintroduce it. We shall see.
                    Here it has to be sold as "for Agricultural and pet use only". Evidently my dogs really LOVE milk.
                    I thought it might be a hassle too... husband was drinking regular milk with no problems and I was using some almond milk.
                    After starting the raw, however, husband now refuses to go back to the other stuff even though I have offered up that option. He drank a small bottle of name brand store milk recently and made all sorts of ugly faces over it, and poured half of it down the drain. It's been a very good experience.
                    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Butter doesn't bother me in fact the butrayte in it works for me. You can try ghee also if the thought of eating butter bugs you for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Athanasey View Post
                        Now I realise semajor is may be a spam bot since their first post is linking to a site that sells something, but they have a good point.

Normal milk makes me violently ill but I have no issues whatsoever with A2 milk. I'm also fine with hard cheese and butter, but creams and yoghurt don't agree with me (haven't tried the A2 yoghurt yet)
                        I'm not a spam bot, it was just my first post because for the first time I had something to add. I've been lurking a few weeks.

Not trying to sell that brand, it's just the most popular type of A2 we have in Australia.

Comment

Welcome to the conversation, semajor. Thank you for contributing to the subject!

I have had raw holstein milk as well as raw jersey & gurnsey milk, raw goat milk too, all without problem. Previous I'd given up milk back in high school as I was fed up with the tummy aches and gas it gave me.

Comment

I'm also a lactose intolerant person and I so feel your pain. Like the others said the lactose isn't in the butterfat, because I can eat butter. I can eat some yogurts, and cheese as well. As for calories, 9calories to the gram like any other fat. I'm a fellow paleoplaneteer and have seen you there.

I

Comment

I can eat cheeses, as long as they are hard like reallyyyyyy old cheddar or Mozzarella. No brie dang it. I dont want to try cream. yogurt makes me ill but I can drink goats milk to my hearts content.
                              Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

Working...
                              X