Good Eggs Are Hard to Find...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Eggs Are Hard to Find...

So I go to my local Trader Joe's and I got the the local Eggs section, and what do I find?

"Free Range eggs!" Fed "Only Vegetarian Diet"

Which consist of:

Soy, Corn, and Natural Food.

where can I find eggs fed on natural grass?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

At a farm! When you find said farm, check out the hens. Are they pecking around for bugs? What are they being fed to supplement the worms and grubs they are hunting for?
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Comment

They really can be hard to find depending on where you live! Have you looked on Eatwild.com yet?

Comment

A lady at work sells me 10 true free range eggs every Monday, and I can get them on my way home from work at another place who also sell free range duck eggs, awesome!
        Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Comment

check out eatwild.com

Comment

One option, based on local ordinances, is to raise your own chickens. With some good options available on how to keep them in fresh pickings, you can have good daily eggs. Add omega 3 to their feed for an extra boost.

Comment

I'm no farmer but surely there aren't any chickens anywhere that eat only grass?

Comment

Originally posted by zilog View Post
                I'm no farmer but surely there aren't any chickens anywhere that eat only grass?
                No. Chickens are scavengers. They'll eat bugs, table scraps, anything they like, but they aren't cows.

BTW, even the best pastured, truly free-roaming hale and hearty chickens eating bugs and a healthful diet will sometimes have some grain supplement.

Google the Mother Earth News articles on pastured eggs, there's about half a dozen of them from over the past 6 years. Interesting stuff.
                Last edited by Finnegans Wake; 04-18-2012, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Whole Foods
                  Not my first choice for anything, but they do have properly fed chicken eggs
                  They also have a pastured butter that may be superior to Kerrygold.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnn View Post
                    Whole Foods
                    Yeah, the Organic Valley Pasture Butter is great stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnn View Post
                      Whole Foods
                      I hate paying a lot for a little, even if I know it's great quality... I was able to find eggs labeled 'local' at whole foods, so I bought those because they were the cheapest. They were odd colored (or not uniform, so to speak) and pretty bright yellow and tasted better, so I'm going to assume they were fed a slightly better diet.
                      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

What's wrong with Kerrygold butter?

I've been using Kerrygold butter...because of the grass fed info...is it not so good?

Comment

Originally posted by andyTHFC View Post
                          Yeah, the Organic Valley Pasture Butter is great stuff.
                          These are the things I can only get at whole foods (sans a local farm):
                          1) Organic Valley for butter
                          2) Vital Farms eggs
                          3) local raw milk aged cheddar
                          4) coconut milk
                          5) frozen organic asparagus, cauliflower, and berries (although trader joes has this)
                          6) organic apples
                          7) Brazil nuts sold sep, and the ability to make your own nut butter on site
                          8) Sweet potatoes that are not orange
                          9) Fage greek yogurt that is NOT low or non-fat
                          10) 100% grass fed beef (when I run out of my farm supply)

Also the fresh organic fruits/vegetables are "fresher" then at the local grocery store. I can also buy organic berries for the same price as conventional berries at the local store.. unless of course the berries are on sale at the local store....
                          Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Dano442 View Post
                            I've been using Kerrygold butter...because of the grass fed info...is it not so good?
                            nothing is wrong with it...I just prefer the OV stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by zilog View Post
                              There are a few places near me, one of them being polyface. They eat grass and the bugs along with whatever other critters in the pasture they get a hold of. So, they are not solely eating grass, but we dont want them to. Im pretty sure there is no grain feeding there, I could be wrong though. And, it may depend on the time of year.

Comment

Working...
                              X