No announcement yet.

Good Eggs Are Hard to Find...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'd be surprised how many people are raising their own chickens now. Ask around. My fiance gets our eggs from a guy he knows at work. They eat crawfish meat and shells along with whatever they can scrounge in the yard, so their yolks are super-dark and DELICIOUS.

Comment

Try your local Craigslist.

There are people around who don't have full fledged "farms", but have small acreage and keep a dozen or so hens to roam, help control bugs, and supply eggs. Contact some people about the other feeds, access to grassy pasture, and getcha some eggs. I have a local lady who sells me pastured eggs for $2 a dozen. Cheaper than the factory "cage free, vegetarian diet" stuff at the store.
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I get about 8 eggs every day by reching under a hen and grabbing them. All day long they are out in the yard pecking for worms and bugs on my property. The best and only way to get eggs!

Comment

Originally posted by Danielle5690 View Post
          You'd be surprised how many people are raising their own chickens now. Ask around. My fiance gets our eggs from a guy he knows at work. They eat crawfish meat and shells along with whatever they can scrounge in the yard, so their yolks are super-dark and DELICIOUS.
          I'm actually going to raise my own chickens but it seems that feeding them grains is common, even soy! I see no need to feed them soy... of course they will get the stuff in the natural environment and kitchen scarps..but that will not be enough. Can you ask him specifically what he feeds and where he gets it from? Thanks
          Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Chickens do not, I'm afraid, live on grass. They need grains or other food sources too. They are omnivores, I've even seen one of ours swallow a whole mouse! If you try keeping hens with just access to grass and bugs they will lay few, if any, eggs. Grains may be bad for us but they are the natural food of hens, they will spend hours pecking the seeds out of the grasses at the end of the summer.
            The thing to do is to ensure that the eggs you buy come from hens fed on organically grown grains without the addition of any soya products.
            The company who claim their hens are fed on a "Vegetarian Diet" must be keeping the hens indoors in cages otherwise they would never be able to guarantee this.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
              No. Chickens are scavengers. They'll eat bugs, table scraps, anything they like, but they aren't cows.
              They do and will eat grass, leaves, etc as well. It will not take long for them to take an area with grass down to a barren landscape. I keep a patch near the run glowing and will cut down part of it and give it to them on a regular basis.

Onions and potatoes are some things I found they will not eat.

Comment

I also recommend craigslist. Some people would probably show you their hens as well

We went on a drive to the coast this weekend and found a couple places selling eggs as cheap as $3 a dozen. We are pretty much done buying eggs at the store.

-David

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
                  No. Chickens are scavengers. They'll eat bugs, table scraps, anything they like, but they aren't cows.

BTW, even the best pastured, truly free-roaming hale and hearty chickens eating bugs and a healthful diet will sometimes have some grain supplement.

Google the Mother Earth News articles on pastured eggs, there's about half a dozen of them from over the past 6 years. Interesting stuff.
                  You should see our chickens fight over chunks of leftover chicken after lunch. They LOVE it. Maybe because it tastes like chicken.

Comment

I grew up on a farm and chickens eat everything. We had cows and chickens and the chickens went behind the cows and ate. I found free range can mean anything. It isn't a place in paradise.

Good luck finding the right eggs.

Comment

Working...
                    X