Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question regards carbs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question regards carbs

    Hi All

    Im new here and new to the Paleo.

    I have read Robbs book, The primal blueprint and Dr Cordains book.
    But i have one simple question.
    You could eat all that you want from lean meat, vegetables, limit fruit and nuts and so on. But when it comes to weight loss i have seen recommendatons for only 100g off carbs pr day. Thats not much, thats just a handful or something og am i missing something here??

    Thanks

  • #2
    Originally posted by TedDK View Post
    Hi All

    Im new here and new to the Paleo.

    I have read Robbs book, The primal blueprint and Dr Cordains book.
    But i have one simple question.
    You could eat all that you want from lean meat, vegetables, limit fruit and nuts and so on. But when it comes to weight loss i have seen recommendatons for only 100g off carbs pr day. Thats not much, thats just a handful or something og am i missing something here??

    Thanks
    Nope your not missing anything. Veggies, meat (ommit the "lean"), some fruits and nuts. 100g is actually quite a bit in that context.

    Comment


    • #3
      100g is a lot when you aren't eating processed foods or grains. You can even include a couple pieces of fruit, TONS of veggies, and a sweet potato in that range.
      Primal since March 2011

      Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
        Nope your not missing anything. Veggies, meat (ommit the "lean"), some fruits and nuts. 100g is actually quite a bit in that context.
        100g is one fruit :-S

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TedDK View Post
          100g is one fruit :-S
          Which one? Whole watermelon? Most portion sized fruits are like 20-30g (oranges and apples) and more than a few are in the sub 20g range...nectarines, berries and so on.
          Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-17-2012, 11:47 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TedDK View Post
            100g is one fruit :-S
            A large (8 1/2"-9" +) banana is 30-40 grams of carbs. You can eat a shit ton of natural carb sources and still fall well below the standard SAD carb intake, all while getting your carbs from healthy sources instead of shit processed foods.
            Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

            In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.


            I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

            SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
            CW: 180 pounds

            Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
              Which one? Whole watermelon? Most portion sized fruits are like 20-30g (oranges and apples) and more than a few are in the sub 20g range...nectarines, berries and so on.
              Are sorry now i see. Its not the weight off the fruit/veggie. Its the amount off carbs offcourse :-S

              Sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks for the clearence.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TedDK View Post
                Are sorry now i see. Its not the weight off the fruit/veggie. Its the amount off carbs offcourse :-S

                Sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks for the clearence.
                No problemo...I eat a ton of veggies anyhow. There is nothing inherent to fruit that you NEED to eat a ton of it. I use it as a snack. It rarely (never) plays a major role in my actual meals. But, thats just how I do things.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                  No problemo...I eat a ton of veggies anyhow. There is nothing inherent to fruit that you NEED to eat a ton of it. I use it as a snack. It rarely (never) plays a major role in my actual meals. But, thats just how I do things.
                  My primarry carb is veggie. Allmost never fruit. It was easier to explain my point with a piece off fruit :-)

                  Thanks for your help.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                    No problemo...I eat a ton of veggies anyhow. There is nothing inherent to fruit that you NEED to eat a ton of it. I use it as a snack. It rarely (never) plays a major role in my actual meals. But, thats just how I do things.
                    Fruit never makes up the bulk of my diet, but many types of fruit contain a lot of vitamins and minerals and other beneficial things. The fact that most can be eaten raw also makes them a good choice for someone wanting a quick bite or a snack.
                    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

                    In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.


                    I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

                    SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
                    CW: 180 pounds

                    Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The "StackingPlates paradox". Why do I eat 300g carbs in a typical day (often from non "primal" sources such as oatmeal, bread, and others) but yet still have a shredded six pack? Perhaps a future MDA blog post?
                      http://stackingplates.com/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        ^^ surprised? Not at all.. but how do you feel otherwise and how easy is that level of calories to maintain with that food?
                        Primal since March 2011

                        Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by StackingPlates View Post
                          The "StackingPlates paradox". Why do I eat 300g carbs in a typical day (often from non "primal" sources such as oatmeal, bread, and others) but yet still have a shredded six pack? Perhaps a future MDA blog post?
                          Because carbs aren't the definitive factor in fat gain? I lost a ton of fat and improved my health across the board by eating a diet based on real and whole foods that contained moderate amounts of natural carbs to the tune of 150-200g on average. I'm not the only one either, so the whole "carbs make you fat" thing is shit as far as my body is concerned.
                          Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

                          In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.


                          I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

                          SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
                          CW: 180 pounds

                          Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You will probably be in the minority then judging by the theme of this thread

                            I feel great, actually much better on my high carb days than I do on my low carb days. I've actually had a few anecdotal reports of "low carb rage" from folks I've worked with in the past. Carbs tend to have a calming effect on some which I find rather humorous...

                            @lex - Spot on, Amigo!
                            http://stackingplates.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                              Nope your not missing anything. Veggies, meat (ommit the "lean"), some fruits and nuts. 100g is actually quite a bit in that context.
                              Why ommit the "lean" meat??

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X