No announcement yet.

Grokette still hungry!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, I have bad knees and I'm 23! I wonder if the gelatin helps the joints? I'm really not up on this knowledge. I would love to take some kind of calcium supplement as osteoporosis runs in my family (mom diagnosed when she was 35!) but with my Crohn's I don't absorb minerals and vitamins well anyway. If I don't have a crock pot, is there another method? I live with 4-5 other roomates and I wouldn't want to disturb them too much. I also understand your peanut butter habit!! I can't have honey (not FODMAP approved) but today is my last day on peanut butter. I can't say I'm too excited about eating meat and meat for the next couple of months, but hopefully I'll get used to it. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Definitely get anything out of your diet that could possibly cause a flare up. Peanut Butter was one of a few things I couldn't take much of so I cut it out.

I remember one of the defining things I did to reverse Crohn's was fasting a few days at a time. I did this while learning and converting to a primal lifestyle. I remember I had pain in my foot that was there because of high inflammation in my body. When I had flare ups the pain in my foot was unbearable. After the bouts of fasting before switching to primal the pain went away completely. Perhaps I gave my body enough time to repair damage instead of digesting but I am not sure on that one.

Weight training has helped as well even though it sounds like it wouldn't. For some reason, heavy barbell squats have also reduced inflammation in my body.

Good luck to you and I hope the condition reverses itself for you as well. It's a great feeling to not worry about it anymore.

Comment

Good luck, Jasetyn

Gelatin helps everything. Picture what slow roasting meat which includes joints does. It slowly cooks down the connective tissue till it's either soft enough to eat or it's in the gel. So you are eating the very substance you want to build up in your own body. Plus it tastes good, with a little practice cooking.

A crock pot is handy, but you can get the same results, more or less, by putting the joint in a roasting pan with some water and a lid, and putting it into a very slow oven (about as low as the oven dial will go and still be above "warm.") Add the veggies later when you want to make soup from the juices. They get pretty disgusting when roasted slowly for hours and hours.

That gel in the juices from roasting has really good minerals. Add a little acid like lemon juice are just a little wine vinegar, and your roasting will get even more of the calcium out of the bone.

Vitamin D is really important, I'm finding out more and more. I've started taking supplements of D3, lots. If you have trouble affording it, or worry about absorbing it, you can try gradually spending time outdoors (maybe you do already?) in the middle of the day. If you're like me, pale from an Oregonian winter, build up slowly to avoid a burn. Also good for one's state of mind, daylight.

I hope all goes very well for you!

Comment

Thanks very much for the kind words and information blaze and piano, it does not go unnoticed!

Comment

Working...
          X