Potatoes as my 20%

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoes as my 20%

I honestly can't give up pottatoes, my favorite meal since going primal is Sliced potatoes slow fried in a deep pat of butter with minced onions a fair amount of black pepper and ground beef, occasionally a few other veggies get tossed in, all done in a beautiful Cast Iron Skillet. If potatoes are my only 20% is it going to make a huge impact? I'm eating about a mid sized potato every other day for supper, aside from that it's really the only cheat I couldn't live without. Sweet Potatoes just don't give me the same taste that I crave.

It won't make any impact. Root vegetables and tubers are fully "primal". Enjoy.

Comment

I've heard people try to justify a sandwich as their 20%.

If that's your 20%, you're going to do just fine.
      Durp.

Comment

Potatoes are absolutely not a cheat. They never have and they never will. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go have dinner. It's pork loin braised in coconut milk, lime juice and fish sauce with roasted redskin potatoes.

I may have a slice of cheesecake for dessert. THAT is a cheat.
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

There are some who say white potatoes, like russets, are not primal/paleo, but sweet potatoes and other root vegetables are. I never quite understood why one kind was acceptable and the other not.

Comment

If you have a lot of weight to lose and don't see the loss your want, you may want to keep them to more like a once a week thing.
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

One thing I've noticed is that, if you're paying attention at all, you can spot when foods just aren't working for you pretty quickly. You get moody, low energy, or you stop losing weight if you're trying. Then you just go back to basics hardcore and try something else.
              Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                One thing I've noticed is that, if you're paying attention at all, you can spot when foods just aren't working for you pretty quickly. You get moody, low energy, or you stop losing weight if you're trying. Then you just go back to basics hardcore and try something else.
                GF's noticed a change in my weight since starting March First-(I haven't but the scale says otherwise) and I've been eating potatoes intermittently. I'm doing IF'ing at a 16/8 and I honestly haven't felt better in my life, the only problem is, I've got too much time and energy to kill with nothing to do XD

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                  This is the part that is hard for me. Unfortunately I am weighing often due to challenges, so I am aware of my weight fluctuations, and it has gone up 2+ pounds since last Wednesday, and I am not sure if due to what I ate, or due to exercise ..... but I am trying to really pay attention so I can fine tune it. If I were weighing less often, I don't know if I could figure it out quick enough to associate it with a food. Maybe clothes or tape measure or something I guess.

Anyways, I am trying to pay attention to what food does what, and when.
                  65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Just at 3 sweet potatoes and 2 small white potatoes after my workout. Enjoy them

Comment

Originally posted by gopintos View Post
                      This is the part that is hard for me. Unfortunately I am weighing often due to challenges, so I am aware of my weight fluctuations, and it has gone up 2+ pounds since last Wednesday, and I am not sure if due to what I ate, or due to exercise ..... but I am trying to really pay attention so I can fine tune it. If I were weighing less often, I don't know if I could figure it out quick enough to associate it with a food. Maybe clothes or tape measure or something I guess.

Anyways, I am trying to pay attention to what food does what, and when.
                      stop weighing so often. it's pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                        stop weighing so often. it's pointless.
                        I know I know... and I wont after I am finished with these challenges, and I wont sign up for anymore. But until this gain, with the exception of .2 increase on last Sunday which then went away again, each time it has gone down which was so encouraging. So this really bugs me but I am trying not to trip on it, unless it is something about my food choices that I need to fix. That is the part that bugs me the most. Trying to figure out if I did something I shouldnt have. So, I eliminated some things today, kept calories to 950, carbs to 32, fat 47, protein 84. I also only drank about 10 cups of water, which I didnt mean to cut that but that is the way the day worked out. I didnt formally exercise but I used my pushmower for 30 minutes, which is more of a work out than most of my other workouts. I use it like a weedeater for hard to mow places.

Anyways, my brain says don't weigh often, and dont trip on it when you do. But at some point I need to trip on it, I have lost 42 pounds (40 now) and I just don't want to go too far backwards before I start to fix it.
                        65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Lol. It's funny considering a root vegetable a cheat. I eat them most days because they're cheap and tasty, I would have too much trouble trying to make it to my desired carb level without them on some days.

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                          If you have a lot of weight to lose and don't see the loss your want, you may want to keep them to more like a once a week thing.
                          Potatoes are pretty low calories and have a really high satiety score.
                          Although I probably wouldn't advocate living on them, this guy did ok. lol
                          http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/404247.../#.T4zcntkmFkg
                          Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 04-17-2012, 04:41 AM.

Comment

I've never seen the problem with potatoes. They are easily digested. Top them with lots of butter if you're worried about blood sugar. Top them with lots of butter regardless

Comment

I love me potatoes, but more so the sweet potato variety. As others have said, I wouldn't place them in the 20% category, as they belong in the tuber category
                              If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Working...
                              X