Question about breakfast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about breakfast

So, I know that most CW says that we should eat breakfast within an hour of waking up so that we can "jump start" our metabolism for the day. CW says that if you don't eat breakfast, it slows your metabolism down.

But I want to know, is that really true, especially when you are doing Primal? I woke up this morning and I wasn't particularly hungry, so I haven't eaten yet. I had my coffee with coconut milk and a splash of cream, but that's it. Should I force myself to eat breakfast even if I'm not hungry, or should I take it as an opportunity to do an IF since I haven't eaten for many hours?

No? No one has any idea?

Comment

Nah breakfast is mostly a CW myth:
      Breakfast Buzz - Breakfast Metabolism Myth - Eat Breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
        Thanks for that!

Comment

I used to eat 6 small meals a day while following my low-fat CW diet a few years ago. I never understood why I needed to force food down even if I wasn't hungry.

Eat when hungry and eat 'til full. Keep it primal foods and I think everything works out :-).
          My "breakfast" is Bulletproof Coffee every morning. That goes against everything CW tells you (high fat, high calorie breakfast, no carbs). But, if I'm not hungry, I won't consume anything and, like you said, turn it into a spontaneous IF!
          Living the primal lifestyle and loving it! On a constant quest of optimal health and living life to the fullest :-).

You can have excuses or results -- not both.

Comment

Eat when you are hungry. Stop when you are satisfied (not full).

Why shove calories in your mouth if you don't feel like you need them?

Comment

Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
              Eat when you are hungry. Stop when you are satisfied (not full).

Why shove calories in your mouth if you don't feel like you need them?
              This.

Personally, I eat breakfast every day. I also work a physically demanding job and wake up hungry every morning, so context matters.
              Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
              CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

Whereas my job isn't that physical (or more that I don't work every day, it may be different if I did) so I seldom eat breakfast before 10.30 and often as late as 2pm.

Comment

I agree with @lex. Context matters.

I don't get any choice about my lunchtime when I'm at work, and it's sometimes a late lunch. I have zero opportunities to grab a bite to eat before that, so waiting until I get hungry to eat something for the day could have my stomach rumbling at inconvenient times. This means that I eat a big breakfast around 7:30 on weekday mornings. If I'm not hungry when I start cooking, the smell of the food and habit gets my appetite rolling.

On the other hand when I don't work, I simply opt to eat when I get hungry. This can be anywhere from 8 am to noon or sometimes even later.

Comment

Eat when you are hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mouse View Post
                      I agree with @lex. Context matters.
                      x3 for context. i eat after my run around 9 am... even if I'm not REALLY hungry. i find that if i don't have breakfast (unless i'm just feeling sick or off for some reason that day), i really have trouble recovering from my run and my performance for the next day suffers. so there's also the case of using food deliberately as a fuel system for athletics, although that's less common than just electing to eat with hunger or in spite of it.
                      Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
                      Friend me on "The Facebook"
                      Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

Awesome, thank you everyone for the replies! I have been feeling off today, my stomach has been upset, so I'm glad I didn't eat breakfast. I did have some lunch, and now a bit of dinner and I'm feeling a little better. I want to try that bulletproof coffee sometime!

Comment

Yep, eat when you're hungry and don't force yourself to feed when your body's not sending out the hunger signals. I've gone for years without breakfast and I'm still alive and kicking. Of course, everyone I know thinks I'm nuts and wonder how I am able to stay on my feet, much less work out on an empty stomach *gasp*.
                          F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

I am very variable. Sometimes don't do breakfast and substitute with a fasted workout then lunch at 12 or 1, occasionally don't eat until a snack before dinner. Sometimes decent breakfast and good lunch. Sometimes breakfast and no lunch. No real pattern, I joust fry to a) read my body's signals, and b) keep it variable so I don't have that need for 3 squares.

Comment

It varies for me, too. If I wake up and I'm famished, I eat breakfast. If I'm not hungry, I wait until I am. I always eat dinner - I'm ALWAYS hungry for dinner, and for some reason, I have a miserable following day if I don't eat dinner the night before, even if I have breakfast. Some days I eat breakfast and skip lunch; other days, I don't eat until as late as 2 or 3pm. I just do what my body tells me.
                              Life is short. Eat Beef!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Working...
                              X