Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes in my palate.

Heya

I have noticed that as I go, all things sweet are becoming much too sweet and some bitter flavours have become much less bitter. Is this shift in range of palatableity normal? whats happening?
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

I don't know the exact science of it, but for me (and my friend who turned me on to Primal) this has happened. I used to be able to drink/eat sweet things by the gallon but now even a sip of sweet stuff is really too much for me. Sweet and me do not mix nearly as often as before.

Also, I've developed a taste for green tea; everyone else says it tastes bitter but it tastes fine to me. My friend also had a similar experience so I *think* it's normal.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Comment

I never particularly like sweets. But I have shifted a bit farther from them.
      Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

You're growing up now you've stopped eating baby food (though I wouldn't feed it to a baby)
        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by Warmbear View Post
          Heya

I have noticed that as I go, all things sweet are becoming much too sweet and some bitter flavours have become much less bitter. Is this shift in range of palatableity normal? whats happening?
          Tastes are known to acclimate according to what's eaten. The modern affinity for sickeningly sweet things is an aberration. Just think of it as another one of your systems self-correcting as you eat and move in a more biologically appropriate manner. Congrats!
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I have found the same thing and am very happy. I used to often think fruit was not sweet enough and now it is perfect. One of my fave desserts is berries with unsweetened whipped cream which 6 months ago would have requires sugaring the berries and the cream. I also find that I now taste the flavors in veggies more, which is nice- the sweetness in cauliflower, bitterness of asparagus, meatiness of mushrooms. Onions are now a flavor I really pick up.

I think what tastes worst to me now is anything prepared with crappy oil- fried potatoes, hashbrowns - not at all palatable, to a reaction of spit out. I was out with a friend and tries a house made potato chip- normally delicious to me and it just was an awful tongue coating flavor.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
            Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by peril
              You're growing up now you've stopped eating baby food (though I wouldn't feed it to a baby)
              Wow, I think I like that quote...

One thing that I've noticed... organ meats like heart for example, they have a strong flavor and a lot of people won't eat them... because, they taste like meat. I've tasted grass-finished muscle meats next to grain-finished muscle meats and there IS a difference. Grain fed has a very mild flavor. Grassfed tastes like meat. Organs taste like meat, but stronger (I love gizzards and hearts. Am working on liver, which I used to eat all the time as a kid and then lost my taste for). Are we a nation of people who have become squeamish about the taste of meat?

I noticed that sweet things (for example milk chocolate and hard candy) now taste sickeningly sweet to me and I can't stand them. But fruit tastes wonderful.

Originally posted by magnolia1973
              I think what tastes worst to me now is anything prepared with crappy oil- fried potatoes, hashbrowns - not at all palatable, to a reaction of spit out. I was out with a friend and tries a house made potato chip- normally delicious to me and it just was an awful tongue coating flavor.
              I also get the "ick" reaction from fried things from restaurants. The industrial seed oils that they cook stuff in, they coat your tongue with something that tastes like motor oil! I was at a restaurant with my family and ate a french fry or something - I also had that weird coating taste on my tongue that I didn't like. I tried a bite of buttered bread and it was icky... it wasn't butter, the bread was "buttered" with whipped margarine (The server called it butter. I beg to differ.) So I set the bread aside and stuck with my extra rare steak and that's all I ate, because the green beans I'd ordered had a big gob of that whipped margarine stuff on them and I said no thanks.

Bitter tea also appeals a lot more to me. I'm working up the courage to try liver again. I can't believe I lost my taste for it. How silly of my taste buds to change like that.

Comment

Same thing is happening to me -- I couldn't even eat a whole orange the other day because it was too sweet. Coffee, which used to taste terrible, is now so good! I still crave sweet things, but now those sweet things are berries and dark chocolate. You're not alone!

Comment

Originally posted by peril View Post
                  Haha very well put !

Comment

I can agree too! I tried to eat part of a peanut butter filled Easter bunny and spit it out. It tasted waxy and gross, not like real chocolate, even though it was normal chocolate. I think the peanut butter filling was what felt nasty.

Comment

This is one of the great things about primal eating! Once you feed your body real food for a while, you become able to recognize that the stuff you were eating before wasn't actually food. I still love sweets - but they have to be homemade with really good quality ingredients to temp me. The thought of eating prepackaged, chemical, oversweetened "treats" is just yucky to me now.

The same it true for other processed foods for me. About a year ago, I had some chicken McNuggets. All I could taste was this super bitter chemical taste. I had never been able to taste it before. So scary that I beat my brain and tastebuds in to accepting chemicals instead of food for so long
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I've noticed the same thing! I used to have to have either sugar or sweetener in EVERYTHING. Fruit was never sweet enough - it had to have sugar on it. Plain yogurt and dark chocolate were NASTY. Now that I've acclimated to eating primal, fruit is PERFECT! Processed sweet stuff is way too sweet and cloying, and bitter (something that I have NEVER liked) has become one of my favorite flavors. Plain Greek yogurt and 85% dark chocolate have become wonderful, indulgent treats. I used to drink Arnold Palmers (1/2 lemonade, 1/2 iced tea) by the gallon. I quit drinking lemonade in my tea, and didn't even realize it until today. I do add a little Truvia to my tea (and coffee on the rare occasion that I drink it), but only enough to barely sweeten, and I rather enjoy the bitter aftertaste.
                        Life is short. Eat Beef!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

I liken it to the experience people have when they quit smoking - food just tastes better for them.

Like smoking, I suspect the SAD eating damages taste buds and/or the hold sugar and crappy oils have over our brains. The experiences above point to a revitalization of not just our taste buds but also our bodies guiding us to what it needs (think about what you crave now - think marrow, offal, healthy fats, etc. versus the sugar and crappy oils we used to have while eating SAD).
                          Kevin

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.
                          William James
                          US Pragmatist philosopher & psychologist (1842 1910)

Comment

Originally posted by bikeirguy View Post
                            I liken it to the experience people have when they quit smoking - food just tastes better for them.

Like smoking, I suspect the SAD eating damages taste buds and/or the hold sugar and crappy oils have over our brains. The experiences above point to a revitalization of not just our taste buds but also our bodies guiding us to what it needs (think about what you crave now - think marrow, offal, healthy fats, etc. versus the sugar and crappy oils we used to have while eating SAD).
                            yep this, and ive found the same.

Comment

Tell me about it! I've started chewing on steak bones when I'm done with them, and sucking the marrow out of roasted bones. I have NEVER done that before! I've developed a serious addiction to eggs (something I never really cared for in the past), and am considering giving organ meats a try. I've had Rocky Mt. Oysters before (can't live on a cattle ranch and not have them at least once, LOL), but I've always been too chicken to try liver or chicken gizzards or heart or anything like that. I think I'll pick some up the next time I'm at the butcher's. Anyone have some good links to recipes for organ meats?
                              Life is short. Eat Beef!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Working...
                              X