Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which is it? 0.7 to 1 gram per pound or 0.3 to 0.5 grams per kg?!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which is it? 0.7 to 1 gram per pound or 0.3 to 0.5 grams per kg?!?!

Hi all, I'm only two weeks into primal living and have stalled my weight loss for the past six days. On reading the blueprint again, I'm a little confused by Mark's recommendation for protein intake in Chapter 8.

He suggests 0.7 to 1 gram per pound (or 0.3 to 0.5 grams per kg) of lean body mass.

OK, so I weight 222lbs (100kg).
    My body fat is 27%
    Therefore my lean body mass is 162lbs (73kg)

So... assuming I go for the higher range of these targets I am looking to ingest:

162 grams (based on pounds)
    36.5 grams (based on kilograms)

Can anyone tell me if I've made an error in my calculations, or is this back to front?
    I'll be back

What I figured was at 1g/lb of lean body weight, if I have 100lbs of lean body weight, that's 100g of protein, which I believe is about 14oz of steak, or about 3 chicken breasts, or a little less than 1lb of hamburger.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I'm looking through chapter 8 in my ebook version and I only see the 0.7-1g per pound thing.

Comment

Mines the paperback. On page 240, then again on pg 267.

I'm guessing the reference to kilos is incorrect, should more likely be 2gm per kilo or even more.

Just where I'm from we use metric so it seemed really low (even by CW standards!).
        I'll be back

Comment

Hi BigJilm (I'm in Bris-vegas as well)

Everything have read about PB, and on other great places such as Leangains suggests that you want keep your protein intake at about 1.5 to 2 grams per kg (which is pretty much 0.7 to 1 g per pound), averaged out over 4 days. For you at a lean weight of 73kg would want about 140 grams per day. It's more important to look for high quality protein sources rather than dwell on the exact number of protein grams.

Hope this helps

Neil
          Commenced PB Jan 2nd 2012.
          86.1kg, 23% bodyfat
          Last assessment January 26, 2014 - 79.4kgs & 14.6% bodyfat

My goal is to:
          Maintain PB lifestyle of diet and exercise.
          Maintain weight of around 80kgs and 15% bodyfat.

Comment

The 0.3 to 0.5 grams per kg is a mistake.
            Converting 0.7g–1g per pound should be multiplied (not divided) by 2.2 to get ~1.5–2.2g per kg

Comment

I'm guessing the reference to kilos is incorrect

Comment

Seems like they could both be right - 0.7-1.0 grams of "meat", which roughly translates to 0.3-0.5 grams of actual protein.

Comment

Generally reference point is .7-1g/protein/lb of LBM. This is a starting point, and differs between people and over time, and with specifics of diet, and with body type. That calculation tends to be for bell curve people. For instance, at just south of 200lbs of LBM, I don't eat close to 200g/protein a day, much less the 300-400g(1.5g-2g/lb/LBM) that's often recommended for people who lift heavy.
                  Lifting Journal

Comment

It seems Mark has made a conversion error in the book (at least in the edition I have). If you go by the 0.5-1 g/pound that equates (roughly) to about 1-1.9 g/kilo.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJilm View Post
                      Hi all, I'm only two weeks into primal living and have stalled my weight loss for the past six days. On reading the blueprint again, I'm a little confused by Mark's recommendation for protein intake in Chapter 8.

He suggests 0.7 to 1 gram per pound (or 0.3 to 0.5 grams per kg) of lean body mass.

OK, so I weight 222lbs (100kg).
                      My body fat is 27%
                      Therefore my lean body mass is 162lbs (73kg)

So... assuming I go for the higher range of these targets I am looking to ingest:

162 grams (based on pounds)
                      36.5 grams (based on kilograms)

Can anyone tell me if I've made an error in my calculations, or is this back to front?
                      Maybe he meant it around the other way? It seems logical to me that you'd need less per pound than you would per kilogram, as a kilogram weighs 2.2 lbs! Given that 0.3 x 2.2 = 0.66 (approx 0.7) and 0.5 x 2.2 = 1.1, then I'm going to go with that theory!

It would make sense to reverse the numbers for kg and pounds, and then it'd add up correctly!

Comment

If you want to lose fat, I'd say eat 1-1.5g of protein per lb of lean body weight. That means leaner cuts of meat. You won't burn stored fat til you burn through dietary fat, so the higher your fat intake, the slower your fat loss. I've always liked eating in the 30/40/30 fat/protein/carbs range. As I'm 145 lbs and around 12% body fat, that would mean for me...

80-94g fat
                        128-191g protein
                        180-211g carbs

That's probably about what I average assuming I'm eating around 2,200 calories a day. I like mixing fat and carbs because it allows plenty of each, so I never feel deprived and feel the need to "binge." I can't stand keeping chronically low carbohydrate because as you deplete, you crave carbs, and the body never seems to want apples and bananas and potatoes. It likes brownies, ice cream and cookies because that's what you've associated carbs with since the day you were born. Ultimately, see what works for you. It all comes down to calories, so pushing more calories to protein generally promotes better satiety and the highest metabolic rate. 2g/lb of lean body mass is generally regarded as where protein is overconsumed and converts into glucose, so 1-1.5g/lb is my sweet spot.

How active are you? Generally, the more active you are (as in lifting heavy things), the more protein you can consume before your body converts it to glucose. Heavy lifters are better advised to shoot for the high end of spectrum while walkers/sedentary people should go lower. Also, if you are more sedentary, the carbs you do get are better made up of fruits and vegetables and not starchy tubers. Starches pretty much instantize and have a very high insulin response, so they are more likely to be stored as fat than fruits. The fructose element of the fruit is actually your friend - it slows digestion and mitigates insulin. I don't fear insulin, but it makes little sense to create a massive starch-based insulin spike at your desk.
                        Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-23-2012, 06:34 AM.
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Choco - With all due respect i completely disagree about keeping fat intake lower for fat loss. I have been on a high fat low carb / carb cycling diet for 6 months, upwards of 200g fat per day and my protein is only at around .6 per LBM, sometimes a little higher. Ive lost 25 pounds and 5 inches off my waist, and strength has increased. Ive messed with eating more carbs post workout (carb back loading) and it resulted in no weight loss or weight gain. Yes i decreased PWO and PRE WO fats if i was going to eat more carbs on that night. Once again no disrespect i just figured id post some real world experience.

Back to the topic, sort of related to what i just posted, i think that anything more then 1g per pound is a waste. My gains have been great on .6 to .8

Comment

Originally posted by stumprrp View Post
                            Choco - With all due respect i completely disagree about keeping fat intake lower for fat loss. I have been on a high fat low carb / carb cycling diet for 6 months, upwards of 200g fat per day and my protein is only at around .6 per LBM, sometimes a little higher. Ive lost 25 pounds and 5 inches off my waist, and strength has increased. Ive messed with eating more carbs post workout (carb back loading) and it resulted in no weight loss or weight gain. Yes i decreased PWO and PRE WO fats if i was going to eat more carbs on that night. Once again no disrespect i just figured id post some real world experience.

Back to the topic, sort of related to what i just posted, i think that anything more then 1g per pound is a waste. My gains have been great on .6 to .8
                            How much weight do you have to lose?

If you have 35+ pounds of weight to lose, that is not a natural condition. Simply put, if you are losing weight, you are eating at a caloric deficit. Right now, the high fat approach is working for you because the fat is making you so full you cannot eat the maintenance calories required to keep you at your current weight. The increased protein consumption versus your old eating habits are likely responsible for the shift in body composition as well (and obviously if you have been lifting heavy things that will help as well). However, there will eventually be a point where if you want to get leaner, you are going to have to decrease dietary fat and shift protein and carbohydrate to higher levels. This is usually what needs to be done to lower calories and maintain a similar level of satiety - eat less calorically dense foods. You won't burn stored fat until you burn the dietary fat you consume first, so eating leaner meats and pushing calories toward protein is the way to go. This usually requires elevating carbs to maintain metabolic rate, but not to SAD levels - think 150g of fruits, vegetables, roots and tubers.

If what you're doing is working for you, then absolutely stick with it. Why fix what isn't broken? However, there will likely be a day when you do plateau and when it comes, this is what I recommend you do based on personal experience.
                            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Initially i started around 250-252, ive been powerlifting for about 6 years and the "bulking" went too far. Traditional styles of deficit only crushed my strength and i would just bulk back up so i tried carb back loading and now try to do it Paleo style. Since then ive lost like i said about 25 pounds and i really only want to lose about 5-8 more pounds slowly. As far as being in a deficit i really believe i eat MORE calories now then when i was 250. I really dont get full on fats to be honest with you. Eating 1-2 pounds of beef with a side of 4 eggs and a huge salad is no big deal, but ive always had a gargantuan appetite haha. I appreciate the recommendation if i do stall out. Ive had a hard time switching to 100% paleo (probably 75/25) because PWO carbs on backloading need to be high glycemic and its just easier to eat white rice and potato gnocchi then sweet potatoes all the time. I plan to switch to a regular paleo based "diet" soon once i hit my target competition weight with no more int. fasting (no breakfast) and switching to cleaner PWO carbs.

Sorry to take this off topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X