No announcement yet.

I want to quit coffee, but I also don't want to quit coffee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a bunch of lightweights. I've never---I can't believe anybody is even talking about dangers of addiction from one, three or five cups of coffee. That's not an addiction. That's a very low to moderate intake. Two pots a day plus two or three diet rockstars, like I used to drink, that's an addiction. Now I drink only three-quarters of a pot every day. It's 8 cups, and that's almost nothing. Sometimes I have an extra cup or two at work throughout the shift. I sleep great and have no problems whatsoever, no side effects. Only benefits. Sometimes I dial it back, think about quitting, then remember it's good for me anyway and ask WHY I would want to quit, other than to save a few pennies. Coffee is not a problem, it's a friend.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
      What a bunch of lightweights. I've never---I can't believe anybody is even talking about dangers of addiction from one, three or five cups of coffee. That's not an addiction. That's a very low to moderate intake. Two pots a day plus two or three diet rockstars, like I used to drink, that's an addiction. Now I drink only three-quarters of a pot every day. It's 8 cups, and that's almost nothing. Sometimes I have an extra cup or two at work throughout the shift. I sleep great and have no problems whatsoever, no side effects. Only benefits. Sometimes I dial it back, think about quitting, then remember it's good for me anyway and ask WHY I would want to quit, other than to save a few pennies. Coffee is not a problem, it's a friend.
      You're young, so I'll let that snideness slide. But imo, keep that up & your adrenal function may change in the future. Like say 10-15 years! Or not... who knows? Oh & btw, I see in this thread today, http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65662-4.html, you commented that you too get depressed when you don't eat enough liver. Ok, so you pound coffee, 3/4 of a pot daily, but lack of liver consumption makes you depressed? So, ok who's the lightweight again?
      Last edited by Betorq; 09-11-2012, 07:00 AM.
      "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
      "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
      "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

caffeine/coffee addiction and you
        ad astra per aspera

Comment

I'm a HUGE coffee drinker and would brew a pot of coffee a day (8-10 cups) and drink it throughout the morning until noon.

Now I've switched to: 10 ml Bottle (0.34 Oz) Contains 25 mg active ginsenosides from 6000mg Red Panax Kirin & Shih Chu Ginseng Roots from amazong. I drink 2 or 3 each morning at home. Then when i get to work i make some black tea (earl grey) and that seems to hold me over. So far so good.

Sure I'll still have a coffee here and there while heading our at 5am for hunting or something, but my normal routine is OVER. I don't even have any coffee beans in my house!!! Now I just need to stop tobacco...which I started to quit yesterday.
          SW (207lbs) 8/1/2012
          CW (188lbs)
          Primal Since 8/1/2102

Bike commute to work 20 miles/day ~ rain, shine, or snow.

Comment

There isn't anything wrong with coffee. If you're putting 1/2 a cup of cream and sugar in each cup, eh, probably not so great. But black coffee? It's hard to find a more natural drink other than water/tea. Tea is great for cold drinks, as a warm drink it pales in comparison to coffee. Don't be a quiter, keep the coffee!!!! If it gives you the jitters, cut back but I wouldn't deprive yourself if you enjoy it.
            "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Coffee is a processed food.

Caffeine is a psychoactive drug with metabolic consequences.

It simply has no place in a "primal" diet.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeDub View Post

You should probably get a message to Mark Sisson about that ASAP!
                He drinks coffee you know.

And while you're at it with your "psychoactive" drugs... don't drink tea or eat chocolate either, or have an occasional alcoholic beverage (also approved "Primal" foods).
                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I know how you feel. I don't drink a lot of coffee--two cups a day, max (or one double-shot espresso drink). But I am a wreck without it. Cranky to the point of nasty. That makes me think I should at least try to give it up, just to see how I feel. And then to see how I feel when I reintroduce it. But man, I love my cup of coffee. I think it might just have to be one of my sensible vices.

Comment

I drink a couple cups a day, but I actually feel quite good when I abstain for a while. The thing is I just really really like it......what a dilemma.

Comment

this saturday (9/15), will make 1 month absolutely caffeine free for me! i never thought that would be the case... amazing. i scoffed at the idea for so long, but honestly, it's great. mind you, my habit was out of control, i'm sure you can use caffeine more responsibly, but for me, it's been simply fantastic cutting it out - even energy levels throughout the day, never groggy when i wake up, power naps are easy.

horrible, terrible headaches for three days though on the front end...

*edited to note that my avatar pic still shows me holding a cup of coffee. LOLZ.

Comment

Originally posted by deedub View Post
                        coffee is a processed food.

fail
                        "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by TheFastCat View Post
                          Originally posted by DeeDub View Post
                          TFC and I both agree with you but have found it to be a VERY hard sell around here.

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                          this saturday (9/15), will make 1 month absolutely caffeine free for me! i never thought that would be the case... amazing. i scoffed at the idea for so long, but honestly, it's great. mind you, my habit was out of control, i'm sure you can use caffeine more responsibly, but for me, it's been simply fantastic cutting it out - even energy levels throughout the day, never groggy when i wake up, power naps are easy.

*edited to note that my avatar pic still shows me holding a cup of coffee. LOLZ.
                          No wonder you've been so cranky lately.

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                          You should probably get a message to Mark Sisson about that ASAP!
                          He drinks coffee you know.

And while you're at it with your "psychoactive" drugs... don't drink tea or eat chocolate either, or have an occasional alcoholic beverage (also approved "Primal" foods).
                          Mark specifically says that coffee is OK as long as it does not become an energy crutch. How many of the coffee drinkers around here can honestly say they don't use their joe for energy?

Energy should come from a good nights sleep and good primal food.

I would say the test is to see if you can go 48 hours caffeine free with no headaches, tiredness, crankiness, etc. If so, carry on, it's just a beverage. But, be honest, if you *need* it in the morning, it's probably messing with your whole body in ways that are going to come back to bite you eventually.

Comment

I agree...

I drink one cup, 5-6 days a week.
                            Some special occasions I might have a couple of cups of really good fresh espresso... Like when I'm AT the small company that roasts my beans on premises.

But I don't feel like I need it to function on days I don't drink it.
                            Or that I get a huge energy burst from it.
                            I just really, really, really love the taste of it.

And, honestly...
                            It's the LAST yummy treat acceptable thing I have. LOL.
                            Since I can't have chocolate anymore.

It's like the cigar thread.
                            You use thing as a pleasurable enjoyment, DON'T let it use you.
                            Same with Tea, Chocolate and Chocolate DRINKS,and Alcohol.
                            (None of which I'm able to indulge in you know.)
                            Last edited by cori93437; 09-11-2012, 12:36 PM.
                            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post

Congrats dude....and yeah, might gotta change your avitar. You got that "yeaaaah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and move your desk into the basement....yeaaaaah" look

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                                Congrats dude....and yeah, might gotta change your avitar. You got that "yeaaaah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and move your desk into the basement....yeaaaaah" look
                                Yeah, Jakey you've got that, "Just try to take this coffee away from me. I dare ya." look.

Comment

Working...
                                X