I want to quit coffee, but I also don't want to quit coffee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dbalch View Post
    My view is that there is only so much food that can go into one's body every day. Diet is about optimizing one's nutritional opportunities. Coffee is a hot drink. Hot drinks are comforting and desirable. But I think it is highly advantageous to one's health to substitute herbal teas for coffee. I drink a variety of herbals teas and probably ingest at least 20 to 30 different varieties of plants each week. When I used to drink coffee, I drank only one plant a week - coffee. We are omnivores, not monovores.

I don't think coffee is unhealthy, I just don't think it's an optimal food. I also don't eat grains, and not because chemists say they have lectins or other anti-nutrients they managed to isolate in a test tube. I don't eat them because they are not optimal foods. They are calorie rich and nutrient poor. I prefer to eat instead liver and bone broth from pastured animals. These are nutritionally dense foods. I think it's important to make these kinds of substitutions.

The only BIG problem with coffee is that it is addictive. People rave about the taste, but I know that it's just the caffeine talking. Most won't admit it, but they feel bad when the DON"T drink coffee. This is a drug addiction. I don't like being addicted to drugs and that's why I don't drink coffee.
    I still think you underestimate the potential for coffee and what the bean has to offer. I agree that it can be highly addictive, but for those that drink it in moderation, and most people i know do, the benefits likely far far outweigh any risks(which may be zero at a cup a day). On the other hand, I know people that drink iced tea all day long and can't seem to go without it. If you are consuming tea a lot, and the caffeine in tea is keeping you going, then isn't it safe to say you easily could be addicted to tea. By "you" I don't really mean you

Comment

Originally posted by morganpmiller View Post
      I still think you underestimate the potential for coffee and what the bean has to offer. I agree that it can be highly addictive, but for those that drink it in moderation, and most people i know do, the benefits likely far far outweigh any risks(which may be zero at a cup a day). On the other hand, I know people that drink iced tea all day long and can't seem to go without it. If you are consuming tea a lot, and the caffeine in tea is keeping you going, then isn't it safe to say you easily could be addicted to tea. By "you" I don't really mean you
      I don't drink caffeinated teas, but I appreciate the conversation. One thing I do advise to new primal dieters. If you are cutting added sugar and rice, bread, pasta, baked goods etc from your diet, by all means do not choose this time to give up coffee. Drink coffee as long as you like. You can only deprive yourself of so much. Only when you've completely adjusted to a sugar free, grain free diet would I advise someone to examine their use of coffee, consider if they are addicted or not, and consider a change to non-caffeinated herbal teas as a way to 1) upgrade their nutrition 2) avoid drug addiction.

Comment

I am seriously addicted to coffee/and or cream.
        Dairy is not good for me, it bloats me and makes me feel like shit. Coffee turns me into a nasty bitch.
        I gave it up for about 5 weeks and lost 13 cm from my waist and felt really good. I don't know why I started again, but I know I need to stop. I must have rocks in my head to keep going back to it

Comment

Ayla, your line about 'coffee turns me into a nasty bitch' made me literally LOL

Coffee is hard to kick, but once you do it, it's a huge relief! It does take some time however. Stick to your guns!
          A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

It really does. When I don't drink it I am much calmer and don't lose patience with my boys.
            This is really stressing me out, why does it need to be so hard. Its the one thing that affects me the most, so it should be easy to quit according to my husband.
            It was easy to drop the grains and crap food, but why not the coffee/cream?
            I have had bp coffee for a while, and its the same thing, bloating etc. So its gotta be dairy and coffee. I can cook or add butter to my food and thats OK though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
              It really does. When I don't drink it I am much calmer and don't lose patience with my boys.
              This is really stressing me out, why does it need to be so hard. Its the one thing that affects me the most, so it should be easy to quit according to my husband.
              It was easy to drop the grains and crap food, but why not the coffee/cream?
              I have had bp coffee for a while, and its the same thing, bloating etc. So its gotta be dairy and coffee. I can cook or add butter to my food and thats OK though.
              Like your handle. Love the Jean Auel books. I recently re read the entire series from the beginning.

Here's my method to kick coffee, in case you didn't see it earlier in the thread:

Switch to instant
              Buy one jar of regular and one jar of decaf
              Start mixing in a small amount of decaf in the the real stuff.
              Slowly increase decaf every day unitl you are drinking all decaf, how slowly and how long you take is up to you.
              Start mixing in Teccino (Whole Foods) with your decaf, slowly and gradually just like you did before with the real coffee
              Finally you are drinking all Tecinno.
              Start drinking a cup of herbal tea later in the day after your Tecinno.
              Gradually shift to herbal tea.

I used to have terrible withdrawal symptoms from caffeine, splitting headaches, extreme lethargy, twitching eyelids, but the worst was depression.

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
                Coffee is hard to kick, but once you do it, it's a huge relief! It does take some time however. Stick to your guns!
                I second all of that. Didn't realize how deeply the hooks had sunk in until I had to give it up.

Anything that causes withdrawal symptoms the way coffee does has to have some real downsides to continued consumption. It's worth keeping in mind that caffeine is a psycho-active drug and, IMO, should be approached with the same caution/respect as other major drugs.
                Last edited by DeeDub; 04-15-2012, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Instant coffee? Blergh, I can't think of anything worse LOL
                  Cold turkey is going to be the only way this will work. Just going to update my journal with my plans.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                    Instant coffee? Blergh, I can't think of anything worse LOL
                    Cold turkey is going to be the only way this will work. Just going to update my journal with my plans.
                    Well you could brew up on pot of regular and one pot of decaf and mix them. Instant is just easier. I went cold turkey. Once I got all the caffeine out of my system, I still have the occasional decaf. No more than once a week and decaf only. The only time I drink caffeinated is if I have to drive a long way in a car, or if I have something important to do and didn't have enough sleep.

Comment

I may try that if need be, but I did just throw out all the coffee in the house, and the cream.I have to do it.

Comment

I'm guessing that non of you were just drinking one cup a day. Or, maybe it is that hard to get off one cup for some people. I think the sensitive ones like me, and those posting here, are in the minority. Most people I know tolerate coffee quite well without any reall come down or mood fluctuations. I just stay away for the most part. I wish I wasn't so sensitive to it, I would drink a fresh cup 5 or 6 days a week.

Comment

2-3 usually, at one stage I got down to 1 per day, but lately it has been multiple cups. I don't feel so good today.

Comment

Coffee is definitely worth consuming, but not 3-4 cups. That is overkill, especially if you are drinking everyday.

Also, it is not the "Fresh" part that is important, it is the quality of the bean. Make sure you are paying attention to the grade of your coffee beans; they're are US grading systems here: Coffee Grading

The healthiest coffee I can find right now is expensive, but it is from a guy named Dave Asprey.
                            Here is a link to the coffee: Bulletproof

Its good for a medium roast, and has minimal mycotoxins so the health benefits are out of the rooooof!

Originally posted by morganpmiller View Post
                            I think 3 or 4 cups of FRESHLY ground and brewed coffee have plenty of health benefits that make it well worth consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              Nothing wrong with feeling good. I like it. It's just that if you quit coffee but have it infrequently, when you do have it, it really revs you up and makes you feel amazing. If you have it every day, you don't feel it quite so much. You get used to it. If you quit entirely, then you never get to have that feeling. The trick is to quit but not quit. I haven't figured out how to do that.
                              I enjoy coffee on the weekends only (some times I'll get one of those tiny cups of coffee @ TJs or Whole Foods). Either a "normal" strong brew of 6 oz or 8 oz or sometimes when I'm in the mood for a blast of caffeine, a ol big honkin' 10 oz's. Often I make my version of BulletProof, big pile of cinnamon (maybe some nutmeg too), coconut oil or both coco oil & kerrygold butter. Or just black & strong. Or with a shot or two of whole fat pastured farmers milk.

In other words, I enjoy it & don't sweat it. I could quit & never drink it again ever (I never drank coffee til recently) but I think I'll continue w/ my little p/t weekend relationship with this bean. Of course I eat chocolate too - on & off again basis, & sometimes have & enjoy southern style or Boston baked beans & I like to check in with the occasional hummus too, which I have savored since forever.
                              Last edited by Betorq; 09-10-2012, 07:56 PM.
                              "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                              "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                              "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

I am in the process of giving up my shot of espresso a day, but I dont really want to. I am only doing it because I think I might have adrenal fatigue and everything I have read says to eliminate caffeine. Im so exhausted all of the time, I am willing to give it up. Today was day 3 of no espresso. I do drink raw milk, though. So instead of my latte, I have been making milk and unsweetened baker's cocoa "hot chocolates" and drinking that in the mornings. It is pretty good and bitter, much like coffee. If you dont drink milk, my suggestion wont help you much.

Good luck.
                                It's just another day in paradise
                                As you stumble to your bed
                                You'd give anything to silence
                                Those voices ringing in your head
                                You thought you could find happiness
                                Just over that green hill
                                You thought you would be satisfied
                                But you never will-
                                Learn to be still
                                -The Eagles

Comment