Some questions about legumes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions about legumes

Are they healthy and would you advice eating them or do you consider them a treat? I hear buying raw legumes and soaking them yourself is the best option. But when I check the nutrition labels I also see that the raw legumes have about 4x the carbs as pre-soakes legumes. Why is this? And are pre-soaked beans bad if they're not covered with a sugary syrup?

First of all, carbs don't matter if you are healthy. Second, yes, buy the raw legumes and soak/sprout them before cooking. Third, are you sure the serving sizes are the same between the labels you are looking at?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
      First of all, carbs don't matter if you are healthy. Second, yes, buy the raw legumes and soak/sprout them before cooking. Third, are you sure the serving sizes are the same between the labels you are looking at?
      Yup, a 100 grams. Same brand. Also checked with other brands, pre-soaked beans always have a smaller amount of carbs

Comment

I've started using legumes again, well soaked. And found no adverse effects. I love the taste, texture - and the nutritional profile looks awesome.

My health and energy improved a lot after adding back potato and white rice; I'm waiting to see if the legumes are equally beneficial.

What's to not like??!!

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
          I've started using legumes again, well soaked. And found no adverse effects. I love the taste, texture - and the nutritional profile looks awesome.

My health and energy improved a lot after adding back potato and white rice; I'm waiting to see if the legumes are equally beneficial.

What's to not like??!!
          My healthiest days were actually on SAD. But I will never go back to that because it doesn't make sense. But I think I'll just eat legumes

Comment

They are a pain in the balls to make edible. Fermenting is an idea. If you can take the time to reduce their toxicity they might be OK. I just don't see the appeal I guess.

Comment

Soaked beans are a lot less dense than the dried ones, so you have water in your 100 g soaked beans aka less carbs.

Comment

You also have fewer anti-nutrients with soaked legumes.

Legumes are a very good source of minerals, starch and soluble fibre if you can be bothered to nuke out the anti-nutrients.

Cannellini beans always tasted quite mild to me, much more so than kidney or pinto beans for example, back in the days when I ate legumes.
                Last edited by paleo-bunny; 04-14-2012, 12:08 PM. Reason: clarification
                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I don't like beans much anymore.

Comment

I'll be the odd man out here. The night before a weightlifting workout, I'll eat a cup of chili w/ black beans (canned). I didn't need this when my workouts were lighter, but now, I do. I haven't tried sweet potatoes yet, but that might do for me, too. I have to avoid more concentrated forms of starch, because I'm apparently hyperinsulemic, based on my reactions to white potatoes, white rice, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X