I eat straight butter from the stick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I eat straight butter from the stick

I've found myself craving and enjoying biting into a stick of grassfed organic butter lately. I am consuming anywhere from 2 to 4 sticks a week! LOL... I'm not too worried about getting too much saturated fat. I love that I'm getting all the great nutrients in butter from grassfed cows-CLA, beta-carotene, Omega 3s, etc. What do you guys think?

I prefer to drink heavy cream. But I do cut off a cold piece of butter now and then.

Comment

When I was a kid, I loved butter. My favourite birthday breakfast was a slice of soft bread loaded with 1/4 inch thick of butter, edge to edge (I wanted every square bit of it covered) and a soft boiled egg yolk drizzled on top. When I found PB it was like an affirmation for my love of butter. Now if I feel like I need a snack (doesn't happen often) I go to the butter dish and eat a spoonful. mmmmm.

In my uneducated opinion, I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as you are also eating good fatty meats too.

(you shouldn't listen to me though because I'm new)
      Female, age 51, 5' 9"
      SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
      2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

I do, too ... and coconut oil. I don't eat as much as you, but I do like a piece of butter. Fat is good and there appears to be no upper limit for eating fat. Obviously, excess fat and it will be stored in your fat cells, but if you're active enough to use it all and low carb enough to burn fat, it's all good.
        Paul
        http://www.pjgh.co.uk
        http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

i think it's a bit over the top. do you eat any carbs? are you just craving energy?

Comment

i do this. but much smaller quantities... its like "one slice for me, one for my coffee" but they are paper thin slices
            Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
            Friend me on "The Facebook"
            Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
              i think it's a bit over the top. do you eat any carbs? are you just craving energy?
              I don't eat any grains, potatoes, or other high starch foods. I eat lots of green veggies, blueberries and grapefruit, along with unhomogenized full fat yogurt from pasture fed cows, grassfed beef, eggs from pasture fed cows, cheese from pasture fed cows, wild alaskon salmon, raw walnuts and raw almonds.

I'm not too worried about it. I need it for energy. I've got quite a bit of lean muscle and a fast metabolism at 39. I might tone it down a bit though.

Comment

Originally posted by newberrycrater View Post
                I prefer to drink heavy cream. But I do cut off a cold piece of butter now and then.
                I think butter is more nutritious isn't it? The color is one indication of this. I love heavy cream as well. I get a flash pasturized and unhomogenized heavy cream from a place called Trickling Springs in PA. They sell it at Mom's Organic Market in Alexandria, VA.

Comment

I'd never eat butter by the stick, to me it's a condiment and a cooking tool, not a stand alone food. I'd never drink olive oil or hot sauce either, even though I use both of them regularly just like butter.
                  Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
                  CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback

Comment

Originally posted by @lex View Post
                      I'd never eat butter by the stick, to me it's a condiment and a cooking tool, not a stand alone food. I'd never drink olive oil or hot sauce either, even though I use both of them regularly just like butter.
                      You wouldn't personally, for you're one taste or health reason? Or, you also do not think anyone should for health reasons? I think it's perfectly healthy-maybe not at the amounts I'm eating it-but I'm just curious to know what you think and why.

Comment

I like straight butter now and then too. I love it on dark chocolate.

My guess is that sometime in the very near future your body is going to decide you've had enough butter and it won't taste good straight any more. I was eating a lot of butter for a while and then suddenly I was craving other stuff instead.
                        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Butter is just patted cream. Dairy is much frowned upon by many ancestral eaters, but the joy of ancestral eating is that this is not a "diet" - this is our diet; what we eat. Many people the world over are adapted to dairy - they produce the necessary lactase to digest it.

Eating is about so much more than the constituent nutrients.

If you can, do it ... I betcha, our "caveman ancestors" would've.
                          Paul
                          http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                          http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                            I like straight butter now and then too. I love it on dark chocolate.

My guess is that sometime in the very near future your body is going to decide you've had enough butter and it won't taste good straight any more. I was eating a lot of butter for a while and then suddenly I was craving other stuff instead.
                            Oh yeah I tend to go through these phases. I suspect I will always reach for the stick of butter a few times a week though. My other staples that my body seems to need and taste buds crave have stuck with me throughout the years-full fat yogurt and blueberries being two of them.

Comment

Originally posted by pjgh View Post
                              Butter is just patted cream. Dairy is much frowned upon by many ancestral eaters, but the joy of ancestral eating is that this is not a "diet" - this is our diet; what we eat. Many people the world over are adapted to dairy - they produce the necessary lactase to digest it.

Eating is about so much more than the constituent nutrients.

If you can, do it ... I betcha, our "caveman ancestors" would've.
                              Well, the good news is, there is no lactose in heavy cream or butter

Comment

Working...
                              X