Cartilage like bones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cartilage like bones

So I noticed that when making beef broth, I always run into this type of bone that looks like cartilage before it's cooked, but then ends up actually being like as soft as cartilage, but with the grainy, bony feel of bones (if you know what I mean). Is there a particular name for this? It's kind of between cartilage and bone I feel.

Hyaline cartilage?
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I'm for biological reasons thinking of the growth plate..... As a chef I have no fracken idea.

Comment

I don't think it's hyaline cartilage-- that's the stuff normally at the ends of bones right? The cartilage I'm talking about is usually upwards of two inches long and about 3/4 inch wide. It literally looks like a bone, but is chewable, unlike the hard beef bones. And man, its full of collagen! When I eat it, it's like the small pieces of coarse bone are held together by goo. What would a cooked growth plate look like? Maybe since that'll explain why it is bone-like.

Surely some one has come across this? Bones in question are from grass fed cows.
        Last edited by Pomegranate; 04-14-2012, 11:14 AM.

Comment

What bones are you finding them on and where on the bone?

Comment

Right! Are these ribs, femurs, what?
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
            X