Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried Pork Rinds/Skins???

What is the consensus on these?

Are they okay due to high protien & fat content, ot taboo due to being fried and probably in vegetable oil? Are there any that are considered primal?

Just wondering, as I am short on protien and enjoy snacks.

i'll have them from time to time when i want something crunchy (with a little cheese and hot sauce). true, they're not fried in the best oil, but that's the only problem i have with them. call them an occasional indulgence.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

The ones I get aren't fried in oil. I think they just use the pork fat that's already there. I like them as an occasional treat. They're awesome for scooping up guacamole. They're better than a lot of other things you can snack on. I just try not to snack that often.

Comment

You can make them up yourself ... pork skin, scrape off the easy fat, render for lard and then just crisp up the skins under the grill/broiler (delete as appropriate for your language).

living in the ice age: Pork Scratchings!
        Paul
        http://www.pjgh.co.uk
        http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

I buy the microwave kind~ Lowery's bacon curls~ popped fresh in a bag like popcorn but with no added fat. I order mine from Amazon. Love them when I'm craving something crunchy/salty.

Comment

you can definitely find ones where the ingredients are just pork and salt - and you should! but don't kid yourself, they aint healthfood. it's bottom of the barrel CAFO pork, fried out at ridiculously high heat. the likelihood of avoiding oxidized PUFA when you eat even the best store-bought pork rinds, approaches 0.
            Last edited by jakey; 04-13-2012, 02:08 PM.

Comment

You have 20% to eat them with - knock them down!!!

I love the expression on my wife's face while I'm eating them - I would eat them just for that reason!
              Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
              2/16/13 at 241 pounds
              Goal is 223 pounds or less

Comment

I can't get past the occasional hairs in them. I know, not primally minded there, but I can't help it.
                Female, age 51, 5' 9"
                SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
                2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Pork rinds, chicken skins, salmon skins, bacon fat, whatever it is, it is always delicious when crips. I love it soo much. And if you didnt realise, they are actually nearly ALL protein when done properly. As in dont fry them in oil, cook them so all the fat and water comes out. Season etc. AMEZING! being mostly protein they dont even have to be in your 20%. I thought they would be really high in fat, until I bought some 'clean pork rind' from a chinese shop and saw 76g protein per 100g! its the same with jerky, very little fat.... GOOD STUFF

I baked an entire chicken worths of skin the other day and this is what was left lol:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...50069920_n.jpg
                  www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by rockstareddy View Post
                    I baked an entire chicken worths of skin the other day and this is what was left lol:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...50069920_n.jpg
                    Chicken skin crispy-puffs! *SWOON*
                    That's some tongue love right there...
                    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

When I buy pork belly from pastured pigs I ask them to cut off the skin, but to give it to me. Then I slice it up, generously salt it and put it on a pan on the grill (it works under the broiler too, but stinks the house up too much). I cook them on low heat on the grill until they are super crispy and delicious. I love them! I good the pork belly meat the same way at the same time and use it for cold, quick lunches during the week. It's a win-win
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I second making them yourself. Taking chances with vegetable and whatever potential rancid o6 oils they use to deep fry them may do more harm than good.
                        "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

If you make them yourself, I suggest boiling the pork skin until very soft, then drying the whole lot. At this point you can store them very well.

When I need that porky crunch, I take a handful, loosely wrap into kitchen paper and pop into the microwave for about three minutes. Toss in salt mixed with smoked paprika/chipotle.

The boiling and drying step assures that the skin will puff up nicely. More work, but better result. No strange oils. Addictive.

Now this works also very nicely with the skin of bacon, prosciutto and the like. My local Italian was happy to collect several day's worth of prosciutto skin for me. As you have to take off most of the fat for the chicharones, you get gorgeous bacon fat with the cracklings for free.... Carful, this fat is not suitable for deep frying - sauteeing vegetables is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba View Post
                            If you make them yourself, I suggest boiling the pork skin until very soft, then drying the whole lot. At this point you can store them very well.

When I need that porky crunch, I take a handful, loosely wrap into kitchen paper and pop into the microwave for about three minutes. Toss in salt mixed with smoked paprika/chipotle.

The boiling and drying step assures that the skin will puff up nicely. More work, but better result. No strange oils. Addictive.

Now this works also very nicely with the skin of bacon, prosciutto and the like. My local Italian was happy to collect several day's worth of prosciutto skin for me. As you have to take off most of the fat for the chicharones, you get gorgeous bacon fat with the cracklings for free.... Carful, this fat is not suitable for deep frying - sauteeing vegetables is fine.
                            Oooh....interesting. I just got a ton of pork skin and was wondering how to save it. How exactly do you dry it after you boil it? Can I cook it in the oven after drying it or does it have to be in the microwave?
                            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I love these, but if I buy a bag there's no stopping me from when I open it until when they are gone. So I have to limit myself a bit!
                              Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
                              Friend me on "The Facebook"
                              Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

Working...
                              X