What would be too much dairy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be too much dairy?

I'm talking about greek yogurt and raw milk cheese. I tolerate it perfectly and I stay within my caloric needs. Would 340g greek yogurt and 50g cheese be too much on a day? I just love it so much

if you're healthy and nourished, there's no specific limit. toxicity doesn't begin at some set point.

Comment

I doubt you will be able to ingest "too much". Technically, "too much" would be the exact amount that causes you to exceed your BMR.

In fact, why do you think dairy is bad? What if I told you it actually contributes to a better overall body composition?

ScienceDirect.com - Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases - Comparison of the effects of cows' milk, fortified soy milk, and calcium supplement on weight and fat loss in premenopausal overweight and obese women
      Increased Consumption of Dairy Foods and Protein during Diet- and Exercise-Induced Weight Loss Promotes Fat Mass Loss and Lean Mass Gain in Overweight and Obese Premenopausal Women

Just a sampling of the many studies showing that dairy is quite possibly a major benefit, not a detriment.
      http://stackingplates.com/

Comment

Just a sampling of the many studies showing that dairy is quite possibly a major benefit, not a detriment.
        I'll tell you what. I'll drink dairy for a week if YOU pay the surgery bill when they remove the concrete from my colon. Speak for yourself.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I don't think it's a problem if you can get extremely high quality stuff. I wouldn't eat commercially made greek yogurt, but would go for the cheese if it's from sheep, goat, or grass-fed cow milk.
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
            I'll tell you what. I'll drink dairy for a week if YOU pay the surgery bill when they remove the concrete from my colon. Speak for yourself.
            So you have an issue with dairy, other people don't, so it's not bad for them.

Comment

For me, too much is any. But for others it might be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                At least you aren't overly dramatic or anything...
                http://stackingplates.com/

Comment

Speaking for myself I thrive on dairy (goat's and sheep's), probably because I'm mostly of celtic stock. The ideal for me is ~25% of my calories from dairy.

I can't tolerate gluten grains though, again due to my genes. I can't even tolerate buckwheat which is a shame because it's very nutritious. It seems that it's tolerated well by the majority of people.
                  F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                    Speaking for myself I thrive on dairy (goat's and sheep's), probably because I'm mostly of celtic stock. The ideal for me is ~25% of my calories from dairy.
                    I was so looking forward to eating lots of raw milk cheese when you told me you eat so much dairy. I guess because I"m Asian it doesn't work out as nicely, and my eating habits and cravings go to shit. Oh well, bulk time indulgence xD

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                      I was so looking forward to eating lots of raw milk cheese when you told me you eat so much dairy. I guess because I"m Asian it doesn't work out as nicely, and my eating habits and cravings go to shit. Oh well, bulk time indulgence xD
                      Sorry - I'm sure you have your own genetic advantages!
                      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Sorry - I'm sure you have your own genetic advantages!
                        I guess? ...higher tolerance to soy? lol

Comment

I guess? ...higher tolerance to soy? lol
                          Probably. I can tolerate miso pretty well though. I do think that traditional Asian diets have a hell of a lot going for them.

Perhaps you could do well on yak's milk, as that's probably what your ancestors ate if they ate dairy?
                          Last edited by paleo-bunny; 04-12-2012, 03:15 PM. Reason: ETA

Comment

Perhaps you could do well on yak's milk, as that's probably what your ancestors ate if they ate dairy?
                            omg, please don't taunt me with that. I went back to China 2 years ago and had the most delicious yak milk and yak milk yogurt ever. I have never found anything quite as delicious as that

Comment

omg, please don't taunt me with that. I went back to China 2 years ago and had the most delicious yak milk and yak milk yogurt ever. I have never found anything quite as delicious as that
                              Can you not get that in California?

If not, perhaps there's a market for it?

Sheeps and goats are closer to yaks than cows are ... so what do you think to sheeps' and goats' diary? Surely those are abundant in California?
                              Last edited by paleo-bunny; 04-12-2012, 03:45 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X