Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best leafy green?

Hello MDA,

I've recently found a recipe for greens that I love, and have been finding that I like them with almost every meal.

Is there one or two types that are superior nutritionally to the rest? We've only bought kale and collards, so far. Had some turnip greens at a local restaurant and didn't care for them too much.

Thanks.
    Liberalism: ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

I was gonna say kale for both its nutrition and variety of uses. Kale chips are great and it holds up well in stews, strir fry and such.

Comment

My powerhouse green is fresh spinach -- most diets low in potassium and spinach is loaded with it.

Comment

They are all good for you. Eat a variety and enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by andyTHFC View Post
          There are still several that I've yet to try. This seems like the route to go. Spinach almost always goes in my frittatas/omelettes/eggs. The sturdier/heartier greens are the ones I'm really enjoying with bacon/bacon fat/pepper flakes/onion/garlic and vinegar.

Comment

Baby spinach leaf slicing tip.

Grab a handful, roll it and hold it tightly in your fist. Take a sharp knife and slice it as you inch it out of your fist.
            Easier to eat in salads, etc.

Comment

Would have to say Kale...

Comment

Originally posted by andyTHFC View Post
                +1 and can I add stop over thinking things and eat!
                Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                PS
                Don't forget to play!

Comment

Kale, collards and chard are very closely related--the differences between varieties of each may be greater that the differences between them. For greatest nutrition I would go with whatever is the darkest green, and maybe has some red as well. Of the three, chard usually has the mildest flavor, collards the sturdiest texture. Turnip and mustard greens are sharper but if you blanch them and discard the water that makes them milder.

Comment

I just noticed you are in Kentucky. If you have a sunny patio/balcony or space for a garden, they will grow all winter, down to temperatures of about 20 degrees. I sometimes picked completely frozen kale leaves in the morning for my breakfast smoothie and the plant was fine. My kale has flowered and I pulled most of it up, but my chard took off as spring came and I've got more than I can eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Pamsc View Post
                      I just noticed you are in Kentucky. If you have a sunny patio/balcony or space for a garden, they will grow all winter, down to temperatures of about 20 degrees. I sometimes picked completely frozen kale leaves in the morning for my breakfast smoothie and the plant was fine. My kale has flowered and I pulled most of it up, but my chard took off as spring came and I've got more than I can eat.
                      I do have two small raised-bed gardens. Any info in where you source your seeds from? I'm DEFINITELY interested.

Comment

I buy the organic Power Greens from Whole Foods - mix of baby spinach, chard and kale. Love them!

Comment

Originally posted by adameads View Post
                          I do have two small raised-bed gardens. Any info in where you source your seeds from? I'm DEFINITELY interested.
                          I buy some plants locally, buy my seeds from Johnny's Selected Seeds In the hot summer what works for me is eggplant, tomatoes and cucumbers (all from plants I buy mostly at Lowes). In the winter kale and chard. My sugarsnap peas were planted in February and are blooming now--I'll have peas in a week or two. I'm in the western corner of South Carolina, in the foothills of the mountains.

Comment

My vote is Kale and I just received my garden seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds Non GMO

Comment

My favourite leafy green is the one that fed the cow that I'm about to grill.

Comment

Working...
                              X