GHEE- what do you do with it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GHEE- what do you do with it

I bought some at Wegmans today(just happen to come across it)

how do you use it? same way as butter? coconut oil?

thanks
    jaime

yup, you cook with it. holds up to high heat much better than butter too. no casein, no lactose.

Comment

my wife likes when i...

oh wait, i cook with it. yeah...cook with it...that sounds right

Comment

i use butter on top of fish or chicken before putting it in the oven. can I use Ghee for things like that too ? or only when heating it first

is it healthier than butter? i mean why do people like it over other things?

Comment

Ghee is clarified butter. So, like butter, but without the milk proteins that many people are allergic to. It's a good option for some people with dairy sensitivities (if it's been clarified well enough) if they like butter but can't have it. It's not "healthier", just different.

Use it however you want for cooking. I found the clarified butter I made was too hard to spread like butter, and had to keep it at room temperature all the time.
          Depression Lies

Comment

I fry plantains in it

Comment

It tastes better cold than butter because of the browning, imo. I cook with it and put in my bp coffee sometimes
              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I use it mainly for sautéing, although I have been know to slather it on seed and nut crackers. Ghee has a higher smoke point than butter and most other oils, including coconut and olive. Use it wherever you would use butter or oils. Like butter, it is pretty solid at colder temperatures, soft and liquidy at higher ones. I do not refrigerate mine. Depending on the time of year, it can be harder or softer out of the cupboard, but never solid.

Smoke point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Dip lobster in it.
                  5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Glad to see this. I had seen it mentioned, so when I happened to find a great deal on it, I bought a couple of jars today. I used it for our salmon tonight. Thanks for all the tips!
                    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Ok when I came home at lunch time I by accident put it in the fridge. Whoops

If I leave it in the cabinet with my coconut oil will it be ok or do I have to trash it?

And thank you all for your responses

Comment

Originally posted by jmosery View Post
                        Ok when I came home at lunch time I by accident put it in the fridge. Whoops

If I leave it in the cabinet with my coconut oil will it be ok or do I have to trash it?

And thank you all for your responses
                        I keep mine in the cabinet next to the stove. I live in So. Calif. and it is fine, even through the summer -- more liquidy in the summer, firmer in the cooler months.

Comment

Yeah but it was in the fridge for about eight hours and got hard. Will it go back in its normal state now?

Comment

I use a mix of coconut oil (refined so no coconut taste) and ghee, cos it gives you the yummy butter taste

I keep mine in the fridge in warm weather and on the bench on cooler weather. Just like coconut oil and butter, it does go hard when cold Leaving it out, depending on the air temp, will allow it to soften. If it is freezing in your house, obviously it won't soften. I just dig it out with a knife.

Comment

Has anyone said bathe in it yet? Yeah... bathe in it... or just cook with it? Up to you!
                              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                              X