Protein Sources For Smoothies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protein Sources For Smoothies

I like to drink something quick, but not too filling, before I work out, so I make smoothies with berries (strawberries, blueberries, and fresh cranberries), banana, apple or an orange, almonds and/or walnuts and avocado and coconut milk. As a protein source I have been using Nitrean vanilla protein powder. I also drink it after my workouts to get extra protein. I love the flavor it gives my smoothies, but it's dairy protein. I'd like to get this out of my diet and was wondering what other sources of protein I could substitute in my smoothies.

Raw eggs.
    carl's cave

Comment

Originally posted by carlh View Post
      Raw eggs.
      I call this and raise you some raw liver.

Comment

Just eat real food.
        Lifting Journal

Comment

I read, that unless I'm some mega-athlete, that extra nutrition for exercise is unnecessary.

http://primalblueprint.com/products/Primal-Fuel.html

Comment

Whey. Please provide some sort of logical reason why you shouldn't be ingesting whey. It is the standard for athletes. Unless you are lactose intolerant and you have digestive problems with it, whey is cheap and your best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
              Just eat real food.
              yup.

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
                Just eat real food.
                This is kind of a stupid thing to say IMO. First of all protein powder is real food. Secondly, if the guy likes smoothies, why are you hating on him?

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
                  This is kind of a stupid thing to say IMO. First of all protein powder is real food. Secondly, if the guy likes smoothies, why are you hating on him?
                  This, and the real egg thing.

Also, you can get egg protein powder, but you're going to pay for it.

However, it's farking tasty as heck.

I got the Jay Robb kind, and while I had to prostitute myself out for two weeks
                  to pay for it, it was worth it.

No preservatives and it's sweetened with stevia.....

Can't remember if it was plain or vanilla though.

Probably supressed that along with all the derelicts I had to sleep with.

Julie

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
                    If suggesting an alternative is hating, aren't almost all your posts hating?
                    Lifting Journal

Comment

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaanndd.......... the Real Food police arrive right on time. Just yesterday Mark posted a whole list of ways that Grok processed food, from salting to fermenting to soaking in alkali. Whey powder, the good stuff, is fermentation, evaporation, and cold filtration. Not exactly a Twinkie. If that's enough to turn this into "fake" food, then we'll have to agree to disagree.
                      5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
                        aaaaaaaaaaaaaaanndd.......... the Real Food police arrive right on time. Just yesterday Mark posted a whole list of ways that Grok processed food, from salting to fermenting to soaking in alkali. Whey powder, the good stuff, is fermentation, evaporation, and cold filtration. Not exactly a Twinkie. If that's enough to turn this into "fake" food, then we'll have to agree to disagree.
                        Of course, Mark works out fasted. And if you ask him what protein he uses, I'd wager he's say Primal Fuel. So his advice has already been disregarded in the OP. If people want to drink protein shakes, they can go for it. I've just never understood why they are any better than real food at real meal(I've worked out plenty with and without them, before or after. They don't seem to do anything.)
                        Lifting Journal

Comment

The protein powder consists of whey isolates, hydrolyzed whey and whey concentrate. It contains 1g fat, less than 2g carbs, and 24g protein per serving (8-10oz liquid). I also add plain cocoa to my smoothies.

Comment

Originally posted by XGrains View Post
                            The protein powder consists of whey isolates, hydrolyzed whey and whey concentrate. It contains 1g fat, less than 2g carbs, and 24g protein per serving (8-10oz liquid). I also add plain cocoa to my smoothies.
                            I came to work without breakfast, got hungry and made one of these with 1 T. ghee.
                            Tasted great and I'm satisfied as heck.

Comment

Originally posted by carlh View Post
                              Raw eggs.
                              This. Though I have read that you don't digest as much of the protein from raw as you would if they were cooked.

Comment

Working...
                              X